Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool batting in a hot climate? >

Wool batting in a hot climate?

Wool batting in a hot climate?

Old 01-28-2018, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I live in Houston and would not recommend using a wool batting. I never think of wool for anything here, because it's just too warm for most people. Even though we have air conditioning, most people don't run it at 60 so it's not really cold in the house. The most I ever use is a lightweight quilt on my bed or over my legs and feet in the evening when we are watching tv. Sometimes even that is too warm. We really don't have a winter either. 100% cotton batting is lightweight and breathes also. Any natural fiber breathes.
I live in Houston also and definitely agree. If it is "cold" (for us), I use more covers.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:21 PM

If you need batting, Connecting Threads has a sale now thru 2/5. 35% off Hobbs, including the cott/wool & silk batting.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:37 AM

Use the wool, wool can be warming and it can be cool. Most of the very expensive mens suits are wool, same for womens clothing. It acts as an insulator, it goes both ways, I live in FL and I use wool all the time, just remember there are different weights of wool.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
Use the wool, wool can be warming and it can be cool. Most of the very expensive mens suits are wool, same for womens clothing. It acts as an insulator, it goes both ways, I live in FL and I use wool all the time, just remember there are different weights of wool.
Yes, this is my understanding too, which is why I asked in the first place. As I said, I explained the differences to my cousin (my aunt's daughter) who certainly knows her needs better than I do, and she felt the lighter weight wool would be a better choice than the heavier cotton. But everyone has their own needs and personal preferences.

I did some research and one of the things I read was that merino wool is very good in warm weather, and the QD website said the their wool batting is made with domestic and merino wool. I made a quilt for my best friend and used QD wool and she told me that she prefers that over any of her other blankets or throws because it's a more comfortable warmth, as opposed to her other ones that leave her uncomfortably hot and sweaty.

So it's settled - I can quit driving myself crazy, and the quilt should be ready for the longarmer by the end of the week.

Last edited by SherylM; 01-29-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:21 PM

The thing about winter in central to coastal Texas is that it can be quite variable. We had a week of cold, cold overnight temps in the 20's-30's over a week ago, and as we speak, a leaking underground pipe (froze) was just discovered a few days ago in our yard, and being repaired now. Years ago my mother and I visited my aunt and cousins in Corpus in early October. We knew a "cool front" was coming to Austin but never would dream of it coming all the way down to Corpus. WRONG. Had packed only summer clothes, so had to go buy a pair of long pants and a sweater, for I was covered in goose bumps. I think your wool batting sounds great. My mother never likes anything heavy on her feet either. She is 91.