Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool Batting...Let's Talk... >

Wool Batting...Let's Talk...

Wool Batting...Let's Talk...

Old 02-10-2018, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by summitbay View Post
Is Hobbs Tuscany wool a step up from heirloom? How is it different?
Good question. I’ve gone to the Hobbs website and read their detailed descriptions on both the Tuscany Wool and Heirloom Wool, and other than saying that the Tuscany is the made from the “very finest” wool, the descriptions are the same. I’ll be cynical and say the biggest difference is the price tag?
Old 02-10-2018, 06:58 AM

I used wool batt in one quilt because I expect to show it some day. When hung the quilt doesn't show fold lines. It washed up fine. Too expensive for my blood though on a routine basis.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:02 AM

I asked Hobbs about the difference between Tuscany and Heirloom at the Houston Quilt Festival and was told they are the same, it’s just a difference in packaging. Heirloom is packed tighter and thus needs some relax time (a day) laid out before I use it. I prefer the Tuscany.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:18 AM

Thanks everyone for your tips. I think I'll skip it this time around as I don't have a quilt top on the horizon that needs it and it would still be expensive even at 50% off to just have it sit in my closet until "one day".

Another concern was that it was only 240cm (94") wide which wouldn't have made it wide enough for a queen if I ever wanted to long arm it or have it LA'd. What's up with that? Do people just piece it?

Watson
Old 02-11-2018, 04:10 AM

Is there some process on these batts to keep them fluffy? Some years ago my mother gave me a comforter that she had hand carded the wool in it. I didn't realize it would be a problem when I washed it and the wool did not hold up. I essentially ruined the piece. And then, if those homemade wool dryer balls tend to felt, what keeps these wool batts from doing likewise? I've never used a wool batt so am interested.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Where are people finding wool and polyester batting? Is it 80/20? I have not seen one. Brand?
I haven't seen a wool and polyester batting, but I have used Hobbs Tuscany Cotton Wool Blend Batting (80/20). It's my new favorite. I bought it at Connecting Threads when they were having a sale:

https://www.connectingthreads.com/ba...nyCtnWool.html
Old 02-11-2018, 08:22 AM

I have been following the wool batting posts recently and am afraid they are out of my price range. I noticed Joanns has a Warm and Company polyester batting on sale and am wondering if any one has used it. The instructions on the packaging seem almost too good to be true. Up to 10" apart no basting necessary, how is this last part even possible.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Is there some process on these batts to keep them fluffy? Some years ago my mother gave me a comforter that she had hand carded the wool in it. I didn't realize it would be a problem when I washed it and the wool did not hold up. I essentially ruined the piece. And then, if those homemade wool dryer balls tend to felt, what keeps these wool batts from doing likewise? I've never used a wool batt so am interested.
There is a huge difference in how the wool batts we are talking about today are manufactured, compared to a hand carded batt. The manufacturing processes used by QD and Hobbs are relatively new and were developed to improve the stability of wool batts and reduce their tendency to beard. I don't know all the details, but I do know that these kinds of processes are not possible with hand carding.

Most wools that are felted are first woven out of wool thread. The weave holds the threads together while the wool felts.

If you look at wool fibers under the microscope, you will see that the fibers have tons of little "hooks" sticking out. When you wash these fibers with soap and water, and agitate them, the hooks start finding each other. Agitation, in the presence of soap and water, allows all those fibers to slide around each other so the hooks find and snag each other. It is all this "hooking up" that causes wool fabric to shrink. With fully felted wool, you can cut the edges for applique and leave them "raw" because the edges will not ravel -- because all the fibers are hooked together.

A hand carded wool batt, such as your mother made, does not have the woven threads of an army blanket to hold it together. Once inside a quilt, each area inside a quilting space will have an opportunity to move around and shrink itself into a blob when washed with soap, water, and agitation. Agitation is required for felting, so I expect quilts with hand carded wool batts of years gone by were hand washed and probably laid out flat in the shade to try. That's how they could maintain their shape and condition.

This is why brand matters so much in the wool battings that are purchased today. Hobbs and Quilter's Dream both use manufacturing processes that make wool battings handle like cotton battings in terms of washing and drying (and bearding). Not everyone who makes a wool batting uses these newer processes.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:20 PM

You're so smart, Prism!!
Old 02-11-2018, 04:50 PM

I have the label for Hobbs Tuscany Quilt Batting. Here are some of the interesting things on it. (All caps are from maker of batt.)

Gives warmth without weight
Naturally hygroscopic and can absorb up to 30% its own weight in moisture without feeling damp.
Quilts magnificently by hand or machine
Quilt up to 4 inches apart
Washable
Breathes naturally
Resin bonded. - is lightly resinated to provide stability and retard fiber migration
Naturally mildew resistant and resistant to moth damage when quilted with cotton fabrics.
Made with chlorinated treated wool which is intended to prevent shrinkage.

Care instructions:
Wash by hand or use the gentle cycle of the washer.
Agitate as little as possible when wet. Agitation could cause felting in wet wool.
Use only cool water for both washing and rinsing - 80º plus or minus 5º water is desired.
DO NOT CHANGE WATER TEMPERATURE FROM WASHING TO RINSING.
Use extremely gentle detergent when washing the finished product. Orvus Paste is recommended. Wash as a fine cashmere sweater.
Rinse thoroughly. Rinse till the water runs clear.
DRYING IN THE DRYER IS NOT RECOMMENDED.
Dry on flat absorbent surface, such as towels.
An oscillating fan will speed drying considerably.
Once quilt is just barely damp, it can be fluffed in the dryer on AIR only. No heat. Remove promptly.