Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool Batting...Let's Talk... >

Wool Batting...Let's Talk...

Wool Batting...Let's Talk...

Old 02-09-2018, 12:45 PM
anonymous

Is Hobbs Tuscany wool a step up from heirloom? How is it different?

Old 02-09-2018, 03:02 PM

I have used Quilters Dream wool in two quilts in the last year and it is lovely, no bearding, washed and dried completed quilts by machine. It can be quilted 8 inches apart, I believe. You can look at their website for specifics. You don't need to prewash it, and it has very little shrinkage, if any. You can also look up that there was one lot that had a problem with bearding and that was resolved some time ago.

Last edited by suern3; 02-09-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:06 PM

Maybe I contributed to the thread you are remembering regarding wool batting. I used the Pellon brand that was on sale at JoAnn.com. There are several choices, and I don't know which one I chose. Sorry. Anyway, it was a disappointment.

The quilting was done on average every inch or two, some areas down to 1/4 inch.

Yes, it bearded terribly. The fibers come out through the good quality LQS fabric on both the front and the back.

I did not prewash the batting. I cannot imagine it would have stayed together. It looked like carded fluffy wool, with an appearance more like how a polyester batting looks than how a cotton batting with scrim looks. It pulled apart easily, and care was needed to not stretch it and make it thin in areas.

I wash the quilt with cold water, and dry in a warm dryer. I didn't find anything amiss with shrinkage-- I had the usual crinkly look as I get with cotton batting. In the dryer, the quilt develops little balls of wool on the surface, which are spread around the front and back, about 5 balls per square foot. The lint trap collects about 3/4 cup of wool fibers. This happens every time I wash and dry it. I suppose after time, I will have no batting left!

Probably I have not followed the manufacturers washing instructions? But I'm going to continue to launder the quilt as I do my other quilts, and just pick off the balls as they happen.

I do like the noticeable difference in the quilt being warmer and more light weight when you are under it than a quilt make with cotton batting.

Last edited by givio; 02-09-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:26 PM

I use Quilter's Dream wool for my own quilts, love it have never had a bearding or other problem. It's warm but not hot, and very lightweight on the feet. And it doesn't need prewashed at all.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

I have not used wool, but am interested in the discussion here...thanks for starting it.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:15 PM

I've used Quilter's Dream wool several times and love it. No pre-shrinking, no bearding at all, wash and dry in my machines.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:26 PM

I have used both Hobbs Heirloom wool and Tuscany wool. Was talking to Hobbs dealer just recently--it's washable, dryable (although I rarely put quilts into the dryer), it does shrink some, is wonderful to quilt through. Have used it both with an 80/20 underneath (double bat) and by itself. My favorite bat--wish I could afford it on all my quilts!
Old 02-09-2018, 09:07 PM

I use Hobbs wool batting on almost all of my quilt. I like the Tuscany since it is not packed as tightly as Heirloom, but my understanding is that they are the same batting. One reason I really like it is the weight— it is so much lighter than cotton (This matters both in quilting and in making up a bed).

I have not prewashed and I have no trouble washing the quilts in the washer. Since my dryer is so small, I lay the quilt on a bed to dry withe the ceiling fan on high. I turn it over after a few hours to dry the other side.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:27 AM

I like the Hobbs Tuscany wool batting a lot. I do not know if it the same as the Hobbs heirloom. I do like the looser packaging. However, if wrinkles are obvious I put the batt in the dryer on air day with a damp hand towel. Wrinkles gone quickly. When I wash a quilt, I always dry flat, either on the floor or a bed covered with a cheap plastic painter's drop sheet. I like the way they look and feel.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I’ve been using wool battings for years. Hobbs Wool and Dream wool.
i have never prewashed a batting of any kind.
i always launder my finished quilts - in the washer, normal cycle, toss in dryer, normal settings. - I’ve never had a less than desirable outcome; the quilts come out of the dryer soft, lofty, fabulous
the ones I’ve used ( Hobbs and Dream co. ) allow r” between quilting lines ( the package should tell you the recommendation for quilting)