Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool pressing mat?  Used one? >

Wool pressing mat? Used one?

Wool pressing mat? Used one?

Old 12-21-2017, 11:50 AM

So happy you are happy! Merry Xmas!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-10-2018 at 03:53 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 02-09-2018, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by psdumas View Post
I said to myself, "what the hay??" on those pressing mat prices! So... I found a great site (EcoRugPads.com)that cuts a 3/4" thick pure wool felted pieces any size you request, and ships for free, and quick. They have all types of material.. but, I chose the 100% wool, called Nature's Cushion. It may not be as thick as the 1/2" size, but it works just the same. For about 18.00. If you want it thicker, you could probably sew two pieces together. Works great!
Yes, thanks for the alternate supplier! I too just ordered a mat, can’t wait to try it out!
Old 02-10-2018, 04:18 AM

I was listening to a podcast with Pat Sloan regarding Wool Pressing Mats for Quilting. Steam was used, therefore a word of caution was given as to the surface the wool pressing mat will be placed. The steam goes through the mat and should not be used on your dining room table or any nice wooden surface as it will ruin the wood finish.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:24 AM

Don't know if this will help. I made a Large pressing mat for my drapery business years ago and it worked great. I used heavy weight upholstery fabric, but you could use anything that is durable and breaths. Pillowcase the 3 sides and stuff with heavy batting. I used thick interlining for drapes. Sew the opening shut and topstitch the edges. It is fairly inexpensive to make.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-14-2018 at 05:02 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 02-10-2018, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
I was listening to a podcast with Pat Sloan regarding Wool Pressing Mats for Quilting. Steam was used, therefore a word of caution was given as to the surface the wool pressing mat will be placed. The steam goes through the mat and should not be used on your dining room table or any nice wooden surface as it will ruin the wood finish.
Even if you don't use steam it still creates steam. It gets very hot.
I would also be very careful if you have starched your fabric.
I had a block scorched. Never had this happened to me before.
No, I was not starching on the wool mat. It was already dry.
I was just pressing a block.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:47 PM

Oh Canada! great! It's a tad thinner than what is sold for $$$$, but works great. You can even get two and sew then together if you want. But, mine works like a charm. Still in great shape. No smell.
Pat
Old 02-11-2018, 01:10 PM

Just to be sure I understand it right . . . A wool pressing mat goes on the bottom and never on the top ?? Sometimes I’ve used an old dish towel on Top when I press certain clothes to prevent shiny surface.

I’m probably the lucky dog here, I am storing on 3 pure wool Army blankets from my parents house. One is brand new, one has droplets of paint, maybe used as paint drop cloth? I’ve been scratching my head how to repurpose them and here it is. Free, yipee !

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-14-2018 at 05:02 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 02-11-2018, 09:38 PM

Tranum... yes. On the bottom. It transfers heat to both sides of the fabric. It, being wool. :-) I had an army blanket of my father's that I brought to college-- itchy itchy itchy!! Pat
Old 02-12-2018, 08:20 AM

These eco ones look great but I am confused about what size to order. They ask for 4 different sizes. 2 for the width and 2 for the length. If I want 18 x 24 I cannot see how to get that to work.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:59 AM

Plan on making one after I move next month. I will use an old wool blanket, skirt, pants or whatever I can find at the thrift store. Felting is easy, hot wash, hot dryer, felted wool comes out! I have a 3 ft x 5 ft drafting table we are going to convert into a cutting/pressing station. Half will be cutting mat, the other half will be the wool press board. I am going to have hubby make it so it will fold in half when pressing blocks, then open up for pressing tops or large items. Can't see spending $60-$80 bucks for something I can make myself for $10 or $15...