Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool pressing mat?  Used one? >

Wool pressing mat? Used one?

Wool pressing mat? Used one?

Old 05-12-2018, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Runs with Quilters View Post
I ordered one from EcoRugs a while back and love it. My friend tried to order one and they now have a minimum order of $44.95 because they said they were losing money on shipping small mats. My friend got one from shearstoewe on Etsy. It is 100% wool no synthetics, made in USA. She is very happy with it. 15" x 15" only $35. I use it to press my quilt blocks (don't stretch, no shiny seam lines), embroidery and appliqué. They come out so nice and smooth, even in the small areas. Iron with the right side against the wool. Wish you the best!

OK - I tried to order from EcoRugs and wondered how in the world everyone was getting them for around $20 .... I kept getting $44.95 and could NOT get it to "work" and show 18X24 for the low prices mentioned. I'll try Etsy. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2018, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I got. I just started using it on top of my ironing board and it really does make things lie flatter.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by LynnBBQ View Post
OK - I tried to order from EcoRugs and wondered how in the world everyone was getting them for around $20 .... I kept getting $44.95 and could NOT get it to "work" and show 18X24 for the low prices mentioned. I'll try Etsy. Thanks!
You need to use the Promo code that's shown at the top of the Home page. Right now the promo is for 15% off, so your total is $38.21 which includes shipping for a 2x6ft. 3/8" 100% wool pad!!
Old 05-15-2018, 08:43 AM

First, thank you to Psdumas for finding the ecorug mats.

After a disastrous project that got glitter paint on my better board (big board that folds), I washed the cover that came with it. It shrank several inches - to the point that it didn't begin to fit anymore, so I set about to make a new (prettier!) one.

Although I know some people swear by a very firm ironing surface, I prefer a padded surface. The original "pad", if you will, was just a thin layer of batting, which was about 1/2" too narrow all around. As long as I was making a new cover, I decided to replace the pad as well. Then I read through this thread.

My new cover is shown. It's basically a rectangle with toggles on either end to cinch up the cording, which I sewed into a channel made with the fabric folded over 2x to allow for the tension of drawing the cord up. Under the cover is a ecorug Nature's Cushion pad.

A note about ordering of the pad: The surface I am covering is 60" x 22" and I wanted to be able to fold the pad over the edge as the edge is quite sharp. Using the order form, I entered 8' 0" x 2' 1". As was pointed out above, you can order a larger piece for very little more. I thought I'd order a length that would allow me to cut it off and use the cut off as a portable mat or two.

The pad I received, and the note on the packing slip by the measurement of the rug, is 2" smaller in each direction. My guess is that this is due to the fact that a pad under a rug would not go all the way to the edge. It worked fine for me - I've still got enough that it goes over the sides and was still more than long enough to cut to get my travel pads. Just wanted to warn anyone who expects to get the exact measurement so that they would not end up with a piece to narrow.

It cut easily using my junk drawer Fiskars (no good scissors cutting that!!). It does have an odor, but not unbearable.
Attached Thumbnails ironing-board.jpg  
Old 05-15-2018, 06:28 PM

I feel it makes my block flatter, especially where there a lot of seams.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:39 AM

Based on comments and reviews re. EcoRugPads.com I am about to push the button on a purchase. Like others, I originally found the order process a little confusing. After muddling over the order though I finally realized that the measurements are in feet, not inches as I was first assuming. Also, because these wool pads are typically for a rug pad, the site indicates that the actual pad will be cut 1 - 1.5" shorter on all sides to fit under the rug unless you request otherwise. I therefore put in my order comments to cut the pads the actual size ordered w/o trimming it.

To get more bang for my buck I figured out what pads I wanted and then went through various gyrations to see how I could get the most for the least. Here is what I have ordered:

1. One pad 1' 6" x 9'. From this I will get (2) 18" x 48" pads that I will use on two over sized ironing boards and I will get one 18" x 18" ironing pad. ($53.95 before coupon)

2. One pad 2' x 9'. From this I will cut one piece 22" x 60" for my Big Board ironing board and (2) 24" x 24" pads. ($63.95 before coupon)

With the 15% coupon found at the top of the EcoRugPads.com site, my total comes to $100.21. For this I will have a sufficient amount of wool padding to cover one Big Board, two over sized ironing boards, two 24" x 24" mats and one 18" x 18" mat.

Now I just have to remember my cutting plans for each piece when they arrive.

UPDATE: I was just placing the order described above but as I was entering my personal information my computer system alerted me that the site was not secure and any personal information I entered could be hacked. Has anyone else who's ordered from EcoRugPads.com received that same type of message or noticed any problems since they placed their order?

Last edited by PJWinston; 06-14-2018 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Update
Old 06-14-2018, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

One of the gals at the retreat had one. It works well but it smells like a wet sheep- not very pleasant.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PJWinston View Post

UPDATE: I was just placing the order described above but as I was entering my personal information my computer system alerted me that the site was not secure and any personal information I entered could be hacked. Has anyone else who's ordered from EcoRugPads.com received that same type of message or noticed any problems since they placed their order?
That warning comes up on my browser on any place I put in info. Walmart, Amazon, Fat Quarter Shop, Connecting Threads,....
Old 06-16-2018, 03:03 AM

RE: UPDATE: I was just placing the order described above but as I was entering my personal information my computer system alerted me that the site was not secure and any personal information I entered could be hacked. Has anyone else who's ordered from EcoRugPads.com received that same type of message or noticed any problems since they placed their order?

The site does note use https:// security prefix in its website URL. I would not use the site. You can call and give them your credit card number, but with the website not secure, I would question how trustworthy the business is with credit cards.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

The site does note use https:// security prefix in its website URL. I would not use the site. You can call and give them your credit card number, but with the website not secure, I would question how trustworthy the business is with credit cards
If you use PayPal the site does not have your payment info. No site does when using Pay Pal.