Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Work in Progress Storage

Work in Progress Storage

I am currently using some clear vinyl (with mesh insert) project bags, but they are about $6 a piece and I have 12+ projects. I like to put the fabric all together after I've received it, and these bags are perfect. What do you guys use? Any suggestions for inexpensive places to get bags or other solutions? Thanks!

I should note, I am a quilter and use these for quilting.

I use Ziploc bags or the store brand because they come in various sizes and then I put all the separate pieces in a small plastic box or if its a small quilt sometimes a larger Ziploc bag. theyre cheap enough I don't feel guilty about writing on them I can write piece sizes on the bags so I know what ive cut. I can even put the backing and leftover
    fabric in the box in case I need it before I finish and I don't mistakenly use something in another quilt in case I need it.
    Carla m

There are 1 gallon bags that zip and hold an entire project I think maybe 5 to a box at the store where nothing costs more than $1.00. I use them for all the cuts that are ready to be pieced..I make my own ''kit''.

How about making your own bags? A lot of people use pizza boxes, others have used the styrofoam trays that are from meat, cheese, etc., from your local market, others have used plastic containers that come with lids.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Don't know what the mesh is about but I use Ziploc also. I use the generic too. There are some bags out there that are big enough to put bedspreads in. I can't find my box. Anyway I save the silica packs you get in some medication bottles and put those in to absorb any moisture. Some of my hexies are in Ziplocs as take along while waiting in drs. offices. Then I have the project boxes that are the sizes of pizza boxes and are labeled. You can buy silica packets on line. they often are found in boxes of new shoes.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If I can't write on the bag I just stick a note paper or index sheet, post it note or whatever is handy. Masking tape on the outside works too.

First of all, I place all my cut pieces flat on an inexpensive paper plate with the piece ID written on the outer edge of the plate. I can then stack them and put them into a clean produce-size plastic bag and when returning to the project, I'm able to take out from the stack only those pieces needed at that time.

I use the 2 gallon zip lock bags. I think they come in a box of 4 or 5 for about 4 or 5 dollars, so about $1 each. I can usually fit fabric and pattern for up to a king size top in each one. Throws can go in a gallon zip lock.

I do love the idea of the paper plates as a way to separate the pieces you are working on, but I usually use the 1 gallon bags, a paper clip and a postit note to tell me what the parts are. I do some paper piecing and most of it is Judy Niemeyer. She is the champion of using different bags for different parts of a project.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    There are 1 gallon bags that zip and hold an entire project I think maybe 5 to a box at the store where nothing costs more than $1.00. I use them for all the cuts that are ready to be pieced..I make my own ''kit''.
    now this is a great price!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Belmont View Post
    First of all, I place all my cut pieces flat on an inexpensive paper plate with the piece ID written on the outer edge of the plate. I can then stack them and put them into a clean produce-size plastic bag and when returning to the project, I'm able to take out from the stack only those pieces needed at that time.
    i like this idea, too
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

[QUOTE=Jo Belmont;7199107]First of all, I place all my cut pieces flat on an inexpensive paper plate with the piece ID written on the outer edge of the plate. I can then stack them and put them into a clean produce-size plastic bag and when returning to the project, I'm able to take out from the stack only those pieces needed at that time.

I use inexpensive generic coffee filters if the pieces fit closely enough. Then I put the each project together in one bag, box, or just folded together in my cabinet. Now I even put a post-it with what the project is or the pattern ... especially important if it is just the fabric. [I once found fabric for a project but without a note or pattern. So, it became part of my stash.]

I've used coffee filters at sew-ins for holding cut threads and such.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I use the ziploc style bags for things I've cut out but if I've started piecing sections I use pizza boxes so they can stay flat. Most local pizza shops will sell them for $1 or $2 each. It's also not hard to make your own project bags and there lots of free patterns. Once you have the basics down you can make them any size even adding a zipper isn't all that hard.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    I make bags out of orphan blocks and masking tape outside for a short description, so that I don't have to open the bag to know what is in it.
    these bags can always be used for something else if I don't need them: grocery shopping etc

Thanks for the tips so far. This is great!

Quote Originally Posted by carla m View Post
    ...then I put all the separate pieces in a small plastic box.
    Where do you get these boxes? Excuse my naivety, but I cannot picture them.

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    Great idea! I will check this out today when I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    Don't know what the mesh is about...
    tessagin, the bags look like this:

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  194.7 KB

It is kind of odd, but they do the trick...they are just more expensive than I'd like. I like them because they are semi clear so I can put my picture/pattern in the front and still see whats in it. It is a 12" x 16" made by Alvin. These are $4.19 as an Amazon addon item . http://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Mesh-Bag...dp/B000HFWGL4/

Quote Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
    ...It's also not hard to make your own project bags and there lots of free patterns. Once you have the basics down you can make them any size even adding a zipper isn't all that hard.
    I have made simple stitched bags before, but they end up taking more time/money than the quick zip solutions. I do use them when I am traveling because they look nice.

Thanks for the great ideas as always! What other solutions do you guys use?

Quilt in a Day has great project bags. I stock up when there is a sale.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I tend to used gallon and sandwich ziplocs in combination with some type of basket/box. I store my fabrics on the comic boards and like to keep the uncut extra with the cut pieces...usually that works in some of the larger shoe/boot boxes. But those are only for current projects that I know will be done pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    I use the 2 gallon zip lock bags. I think they come in a box of 4 or 5 for about 4 or 5 dollars, so about $1 each. I can usually fit fabric and pattern for up to a king size top in each one. Throws can go in a gallon zip lock.

I do love the idea of the paper plates as a way to separate the pieces you are working on, but I usually use the 1 gallon bags, a paper clip and a postit note to tell me what the parts are. I do some paper piecing and most of it is Judy Niemeyer. She is the champion of using different bags for different parts of a project.
    Exactly! I posted above mistakenly-1 gal, wwhen I meant 2 gal size. If you have a "everything's a Dollar store in your area, a box costs a dollar. Everything costs a dollar as the name says...from food items to ---well, you name it!
    My error above--we all know of the 1 gal zip lock bags, and boy was I wrong. The brand is Boulder Twin Lock & 10 of them in a box!! Sorry about my memory lapse.

I have always saved the plastic zipper bags that sheets, draperies, etc come in. I use them for traveling, when we moved, quilt storage & projects.

I use ziploc bags for piece storage, but for a whole project, I prefer the ArtBin satchels (usually bought them when they were 1/2 price at JoAnns) or clear totes for a larger project.

I have also bought the project bags from OldMade quilts (http://oldmadequilts.com/products/vinyl-bags.html). They work well.

Cookie trays from the grocery turned upside down are great. I grab them from the church kitchen after coffee hour. I never buy cookies myself. The bottom (now the top) is black, but the rest is clear. A big block (or stack of blocks) fits nicely.

Don't know where I got so many, but I use the zippered bags that sheets or curtains come in. I leave one side unzipped for air, in case those fibers want to breathe...

I get the big ziploc type from Dollar Tree in the laundry section. The XXL (or XXXL) will hold a king size. The actual storage area is approx 17x21, excluding the handle area. It will hold my whole project with the yardage. Only one in package for $1.

I've also used old cotton pillow cases, with a safety pin and index card if needed. Usually for those projects that may take a while to finish...
    But I do love those big ziploc bags!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I've been reorganizing my sewing room, and have found some great plastic containers at the thrift store and at the dollar store. Some only hold about a gallon size, and some are about half of a laundry basket. I like having them in solid containers, and I'm only paying $.50 to $2.00 each.
    Annette in Utah

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast