Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Work in Progress Storage >

Work in Progress Storage

Work in Progress Storage

Old 05-20-2015, 05:15 AM

Default plastic containers

I used to use Ziploc bags and still do but have trouble finding the 2 gallon size.
I stacked them up but they started sliding on each other so I go to the container store when there is a sale
and buy the sweater size clear plastic storage bin for $5. That holds one quilt's fabrics [queen] or lots of
ziploc bags of smaller fabric collections for runners, etc. I can see that I need to visit the Dollar Store for
cheaper boxes, but these don't break and are stackable. They are also repurposable to store clothing or
other household goods.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I use project boxes that I purchased from Costco for 14.99 for 5 of them...
Old 05-20-2015, 06:03 AM

I have 5 cabinets in my sewing room (15" deep BILLY bookshelves from Ikea, with doors). I bought extra glass shelves for them, and so in one cabinet, about half of it is glass shelves. I have some square trays (also from IKEA); two of them fit neatly on each shelf. I use the trays to stack my WIP onto, and then those sit on the glass shelves. The glass helps me be able to see what's going on; and when I want to work on something I just pull that tray out and it's all right there. For smaller projects I can even stack the trays 2 or 3 high on my shelves. (Larger projects mound up too high for that.) If it's a really large quilt with a lot of little pieces sometimes I have to use 2 trays for awhile...just depends on what's going on.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:08 AM

I use the zip lock bags a lot, all sizes, and the idea of using a paper plate to organize within the bag is a great idea. Thanks to you all who recommend the dollar-type stores for those bags which don't have to be the expensive freezer ones.
I've also used the large size plastic container that pre-washed salad comes in, nice and deep and easily stored. ..not for long-term storage of fabric, but to help organize "stuff."
Old 05-20-2015, 09:02 AM

I am about easy and inexpensive. I tie fabric bundles along with patterns with salvage strips and stack on a shelf. Once blocks are cut, I lay them out on pieces of fabric backed vinyl tablecloth cut to accommodate the size of the unfinished block. This works especially well for sampler blocks and applique. For chain piecing I place cut pieces in shallow plastic food containers. Either way you can place them near your machine when you are ready to sew. Can even use them as leaders/enders Bonnie Hunter style.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the tip to order some project bags from Eleanor Burns site. They are currently on sale and I just bought some!
Old 05-20-2015, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Quilt in a Day has great project bags. I stock up when there is a sale.
me too - The large Quilt in a Day project bags are what I like. I bought my first set when they were 2.50 each and my last set when they were $3 each. I like because they have handles - for when I go to my quilt group.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:08 PM

I've used the Ziploc bags but found they slip and slide around my closet. Now I use clear project boxes I buy at Craft Warehouse. They are usually 3/$10. They are clear so I can see what's inside, I can label them too. The stack neatly on top of each other.