Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Work in Progress Storage >

Work in Progress Storage

Work in Progress Storage

Old 05-18-2015, 10:01 PM

Plastic shoe boxes from the dollar store. $1 each. I have at least 20 and stack them 3 high on shelves. I use them to keep all the fabrics for a project together as well as organizing other sewing notions.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:43 AM

I use ziplock bags and the bags curtains and bedding comes in. As a side note....I go to the local hardware store to purchase mesh and plastic for bags....makes bag very budget friendly!
Old 05-19-2015, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I use the 2 gallon zip lock bags. I think they come in a box of 4 or 5 for about 4 or 5 dollars, so about $1 each. I can usually fit fabric and pattern for up to a king size top in each one. Throws can go in a gallon zip lock.

I do love the idea of the paper plates as a way to separate the pieces you are working on, but I usually use the 1 gallon bags, a paper clip and a postit note to tell me what the parts are. I do some paper piecing and most of it is Judy Niemeyer. She is the champion of using different bags for different parts of a project.
I also use the Ziploc 2-gallon bags for projects/UFO's. I am able to keep all fabric, cut pieces (in smaller bags together), and patterns/books together. I purchase the freezer bags (they are stronger and hold up to multiple uses; and, I usually purchase the larger boxes when WalMart has a large display in the fall.

Smaller projects are in 1-gallon bags for easy transports to doctor appointments, oil changes, etc.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:54 AM

I use pillowcases from the thrift shop.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:41 AM

I use zip log bags of various sizes. The largest is 2 gallon. I use lots of plastic bags of various sizes to separate components. I usually put index cards with specific information inside each bag rather than writing on the bag. By so doing I can use the bags over and over. I keep bags not currently in use in a basket where I can easily get to them.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:03 AM

I repurpose gift bags and the bags you get at Bob Evans Restaurant when you take home leftovers. I paper clip or staple a pic of the project on the outside. They have handles, so easy to take with you!
Old 05-19-2015, 04:17 AM

I, too, use the 2.5 gal size of zipper bags. I also use any size of zipper bags that I need for storing my pieces, etc. Notes keep me straight.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:17 AM

I like the boxes that swiffer mopping pads come in. They ar green with a clear lid that fits tight. Also use plastic baskets, zip lock bags, plastic cookie or donut boxes, pizza boxes, bedding bags with zippers, and flat trays that will stack neatly. I like to recycle so try to use stuff that would otherwise be thrown away.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:04 AM

I use bags for my "kits" (I make up my own) that are clear and have zippers. Blankets came in them or sets of sheets. I collect them from friends when I can. Next I use all sizes of baggies and mark them with post-it notes placed inside the baggie and stuck to the side of the bag. (Write your sizes on the side with the sticky part so you can see it. Works for me!
Old 05-19-2015, 10:01 AM

I use jumbo bags. Ziploc and other companies make that size. They are sometimes a little hard to find, but they are larger than the gallon bags and most projects will "rattle" around in them. Using paper plates to separate pieces sounds like a good idea. froggyintexas