Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The worst mistake you ever made{quilting}?

Quote Originally Posted by kem77
    I am entruley in need of a laugh today? I am in a delema on this dumb Quilt I have been working on. My head is in all the wrong upsetting mode of life because of this fustration. I am just needing a few laughs to know that I am not the only one in this world . Thank you.
    Took a mystery class and sewed together 192 half square triangles with the wrong sides together and didn't realise it till they were all done. Took 2 1/2 days six months later to take it apart and put it together right. I call it second chance and decided it was mine to keep. lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lclang
    I guess the most glaring error I made was that I made a scrap star quilt. The scraps looked so.... um dull with a white or ecru background so I decided to cheer it up a bit with yellow. WOW... that thing is so bright it would keep you awake at night. A little yellow is wonderful, but not a lot! Nevertheless, I like the quilt top but have not been able to get myself to quilt it yet....someday maybe!
    Pictures -- we want pictures, please!

love these blogs- makes me feel so much better about all of my mistakes-design opportunities! get laugh on a rough weekend

Blog Entries
    Lets see.. I've been quilting about 11 years now, and I've done almost all of them. What I have done multiple times is: cut through a block, trimmed too much off a block, sewn without bobbin thread (you'd think I'd learn), snip too far into the backing fabric.

After a while, you get really creative with labels. :)

Pffffffffffffft I could never pick one, I make them all repeatedly.

My biggest one was buying fabric for two different projects and placing them in separate bags with the pattern and stored them. It has been 7 years and I am still looking for them. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jpthequilter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
    I made an Irish Chain once, and discovered AFTER cutting all my strips, sewing them all together, slicing them up the other way and sewing the slices into blocks- that I didn't have a quarter inch seam! All of my block A's were a different size than my block B's!

And just yesterday I left a bag full of fabric I had been using on the floor next to the chair I had been sitting in, and the next morning the cat used it as a litter box! Arghhh!!!
    I'm curious! What did you do? make two quilts?
    No, over the course of several YEARS I ripped apart the seams and sewed them over again. Eventually decided to make the quilt much smaller than originally planned, but it did get done.

Blog Entries
    Nicely done!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumbols
    My biggest one was buying fabric for two different projects and placing them in separate bags with the pattern and stored them. It has been 7 years and I am still looking for them. LOL
    That is a good one, and sounds like me. I always am amazed when I find more stash :roll: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Heres my story and I really really couldnt tell you how MAD I WAS at myself let alone how mad my husband was at me for doing this.

I used to make him shirts...short sleeves, pockets, buttons and buttonholes AND COLLARS. Only thing I had ever made sewing and I eventually made him 45 shirts and he wore every single one of them at least one time. He would pick out the fabric so he couldn't complain he didn't like the fabric I chose for them.
    So this one time, we had a little bit of extra money so to speak and my husband asked me to make him some more shirts and so I agreed to it. We always bought Walmart fabric for $2.00 a yard that way if he didn't like them when they were done, it was no real big money loss but he always liked them or so he said and he knew to have them cut exactly 2 1/2 yards of fabric and he learned NOT TO BUY DIMENSIONAL fabric quite fast. LOL. So we bought enough fabric that I could make him 5 new shirts and instead of me cutting them one by one, I thought I would cut all of them out at the same time (one shirt at a time though) and then I would sew them all at the same time kind of like an assembly line. Well I got all of them cut out and went to sew the sleeves onto this particular shirt and I couldnt find them. Hmm that was odd, I KNOW I CUT THEM ALL OUT. And I had seperated the front pieces from the back pieces to make it easier for me. Anyways, I searched high and low for them stupid sleeves and never did find them till later on...but, I saw the BACK piece of this darn shirt and thought, oh I didn't cut them out yet. So I lay the fabric out, pin my pattern on and I CUT!!!!! All of a sudden, I had this really bad feeling that I just SCREWED UP!!! I move the shirts that I already had sewn together and guess what I found....THE SLEEVES. I was sooooooo mad at myself, husband was even madder at me for ruining HIS SHIRT. Geez, its not as if it was YOURS YET. LOL. So we go back to walmart to HOPEFULLY get some more to make the back piece with and guess what? THEY WERE TOTALLY OUT. I was sooo heart broken after that that it was a long long long time before I cut anymore shirts for him out assembly line. I laugh at it now because it is really funny but at the time it wasn't. I even offered to let HIM SLEEP on the couch. But he didn't take me up on that. So we all live and learn by our stupid mistakes. (shhh dont tell him, I didn't really like that stupid fabric anyways it was a off white with really pale lighthouses on it)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by penski
    just a hour ago i was working on a quilt and for some stupid reason i cut a big hole in my backing !!!and it has already been quilted !!! i dont know where my mind was while i had scissors in my hand
    At least you weren't RUNNING with scissors...no clue on what you would have cut a big hole in. LOL. I hope you were able to fix it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt crazee
    Quote Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I have sewn my clothes to a quilt. Now I sew int he nude!!
    ok, that sure got a laugh out of me! :)
    gotta see dither 's new one--sniff windex, it'll keep you from STREAKING! LOL!!!!
    I saw that from Ditter. Shes a crack up.

Blog Entries
    Thankful that it was a color you didnt like!!!I sewed my hubby a shirt when we first got married{34 and counting} because he bought me the machine.I was not to good with men sizes. It was little extra large. I guess I thought I married a much bigger man.He did wear ot once.But was very happy that I found a new project like kids clothes.Thank you for reminding me.
    :lol:

I cut out two shirts for the grandsons just alike and when I went to sew them up, one of the sleeves was missing. I looked high and low for them and to this day they never appeared. So I put one sleeve out of a coordinating fabric and a coordinating pocket and collar and they looked real cute. They wore the shirts proudly and never knew that they were supposed to be all one fabric. If you can fix it, don't tell!

You have been stitching about the same way for many, many quilts, therefore, your mind wanders as you are stitching. You are so experienced nothing can go wrong. Right!!! Girls, love yourselves and rip out your mistakes and have a good, good laugh! Love, Quilting Joan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lclang
    I cut out two shirts for the grandsons just alike and when I went to sew them up, one of the sleeves was missing. I looked high and low for them and to this day they never appeared. So I put one sleeve out of a coordinating fabric and a coordinating pocket and collar and they looked real cute. They wore the shirts proudly and never knew that they were supposed to be all one fabric. If you can fix it, don't tell!
    If they only knew how creative we really are!!! Good save!

Quote Originally Posted by kat112000
    Umm, at this point I can say LEARNING TO QUILT!! has been my mistake! LOL!! I have done everything stated above me, except, no way will I sew naked!!
    me either, afraid a booby would get caught and how would I explain THAT to the doctor??? ROMBLOL

I was finishing a log cabin for my new GS...It was not my choice of fabric for a baby, but it made my DD happy because it looked "elegant" in her very first nursery. To add a little child touch I decided to embroider a little train in the center of each block. My 350E was brand new, and after changing threads a zillion times for those trains, I quit for a day to take a break. When I resumed, I was not careful, just wanting to finish!, and did the first train of the day on one side of the center block. Did not even notice it until I was finally all done, hours later. I didn't have the patience to undo it, so off it went. I see it first off when I visit them, but I don't think anyone else will ever notice it. DGS loves it!! He loves all things with trains, so I guess I made a good choice, wherever I put them!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qnana
    I was finishing a log cabin for my new GS...It was not my choice of fabric for a baby, but it made my DD happy because it looked "elegant" in her very first nursery. To add a little child touch I decided to embroider a little train in the center of each block. My 350E was brand new, and after changing threads a zillion times for those trains, I quit for a day to take a break. When I resumed, I was not careful, just wanting to finish!, and did the first train of the day on one side of the center block. Did not even notice it until I was finally all done, hours later. I didn't have the patience to undo it, so off it went. I see it first off when I visit them, but I don't think anyone else will ever notice it. DGS loves it!! He loves all things with trains, so I guess I made a good choice, wherever I put them!
    Sounds like you made it just a little more personal and special. :thumbup:

worst mistake I ever made making a quilt....not starting one yet. Trying to get the nerve up, so thanks for sharing the stories. It has taught me that everyone that quilts are no different than myself "HUMAN"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkushion
    worst mistake I ever made making a quilt....not starting one yet. Trying to get the nerve up, so thanks for sharing the stories. It has taught me that everyone that quilts are no different than myself "HUMAN"
    Glad you liked the sight.There are alot of us that have just started and when we get the first one done it will addict us more but, it takes alot of weight off. So go for it.One day we will be the expereinced ones. And it is always good to do it with. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    Getting started. Now I am hopelessly addicted. Who can we blame now.It wasnt my fault or mistake made.
    I agree.But there is always some other dumb way to spend your time.haha

I am truly in need of a laugh today? I am in a dilemma on this dumb Quilt I have been working on. My head is in all the wrong upsetting mode of life because of this frustration. I am just needing a few laughs to know that I am not the only one in this world . Thank you.
    I stipple quilted a whole section of a quilt only to find the back had not sewn right. It was over a meter(yard) that I had to unpick before I could find out that the cotton did not like each other as some do. It took me all afternoon to do. I can laugh now but at the time I did not think it funny. You can laugh, I don't mind. it has also happened with invisible thread another time as well.

Maybe not the worst, but frustrating....I traced my applique designs carefully on freezer paper and cut out my fabric pieces. As I started to iron I realized that I had used the new Pilot Friction Pen and as soon as I began ironing all the lines disappeared!! Never even thought about it, just grabbed the pen!! So I had to retrace all of my lines....

Blog Entries
    s
    Quote Originally Posted by Annya
    I am truly in need of a laugh today? I am in a dilemma on this dumb Quilt I have been working on. My head is in all the wrong upsetting mode of life because of this frustration. I am just needing a few laughs to know that I am not the only one in this world . Thank you.
    I stipple quilted a whole section of a quilt only to find the back had not sewn right. It was over a meter(yard) that I had to unpick before I could find out that the cotton did not like each other as some do. It took me all afternoon to do. I can laugh now but at the time I did not think it funny. You can laugh, I don't mind. it has also happened with invisible thread another time as well.
    ouch!!! I am glad you didn't give up. just remember an old saying it comes in three. so hope you don't have to do it again. :lol:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast