Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The worst mistake you ever made{quilting}?

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn6
    Well, I think this one tops all: I did not do this, but
    a quilter who worked at my LQS did:

She wanted to make a sample quilt the night before class & worked hard to get it done in time. Unfortunately, she sewed the entire thing with washable thread !!
    OMG Yep! This one takes the prize I think!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn6
    Well, I think this one tops all: I did not do this, but
    a quilter who worked at my LQS did:

She wanted to make a sample quilt the night before class & worked hard to get it done in time. Unfortunately, she sewed the entire thing with washable thread !!
    OMG Yep! This one takes the prize I think!
    I also have to say it is a heart breaker.

I just started quilting over the flying geese in the border of my quilt and got a whole row done before I noticed that part of the design is upside down! Then I was going to do beadboard on the edge border and I stitched a spine and started feathering it. I should never go up to the long arm when I am tired. Not ripping the stitches out, change of plan thats all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I have sewn my clothes to a quilt. Now I sew int he nude!!
    ok, that sure got a laugh out of me! :)
    Me too laughing so hard couldn't tell DH without stopping and laughing. Made my night or I should say morning now. LOL

Blog Entries
    house builders cover their mistakes with shrubbery.

artists cover their mistakes with extra flowers/people/trees/clouds..

chefs cover theirs with a fancy sauce/mushrooms/parsley/ketchup

quilters cover theirs with applique!

just a hour ago i was working on a quilt and for some stupid reason i cut a big hole in my backing !!!and it has already been quilted !!! i dont know where my mind was while i had scissors in my hand

Blog Entries
    I put a unit in the wrong direction in a quilt and didn't notice until I was binding it. Had to take out the quilting on that block, unsew the block and put the unit the correct way in the block, then I had to applique the block back in and re-quilt. I wasn't very happy with myself. :oops:

Blog Entries
    I guess one of the worst I can think of was the king sized log cabin I made for my dad's bday/Father'sday in 1991. Mother had just passed away in fall of 1990 and I wanted to give him a little lift. I had mad several quillows, and a quilt top, but never a big quilt. I did fine on getting it sewn together and the borders and backing on. I decided to stitch in the ditch, no idea at that time about fm. I also had no idea where I needed to start my quilting-- Well guess what - I started on one side and worked to the other side, and had all but about two rows completed I'm talking about the entire quilt being done, when I realized it was really going to have a big fold in it at the edge. I asked a good quilter friend why this was happening and she laughing ask if I started in the center- "well no, why should I". I ended up ripping or unsewing the entire quilt. It took me almost a week. But I immediately learned to start from the center and go out in all directions. Now I can really laugh at myself, but then I was just furious. I have made plenty of others, we won't get into at this time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by penski
    just a hour ago i was working on a quilt and for some stupid reason i cut a big hole in my backing !!!and it has already been quilted !!! i dont know where my mind was while i had scissors in my hand
    Oh No!, I do hope you have more fabric for the backing. Would it be feasible to sew some blocks like you have on the front and scatter them around on the back to cover that up?

I made an Irish Chain once, and discovered AFTER cutting all my strips, sewing them all together, slicing them up the other way and sewing the slices into blocks- that I didn't have a quarter inch seam! All of my block A's were a different size than my block B's!

And just yesterday I left a bag full of fabric I had been using on the floor next to the chair I had been sitting in, and the next morning the cat used it as a litter box! Arghhh!!!

Blog Entries
    Well, let see, I am working on a quilt that must be done May 1, another that is overdue, another 3 are on request, and just for good measure, I am now making a Prom Formal for my niece needs to be one and delivered to Texas, by April 1st. I've got two dogs that NEED a bath, and I am working with a board member to design and make our own miniature Dresden plate quilt, and I sprained my right hand last night. Worst mistake I made while quilting? Should be obvious, I got up this morning ! Mwahahahahaha! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie
    Oh No!, I do hope you have more fabric for the backing. Would it be feasible to sew some blocks like you have on the front and scatter them around on the back to cover that up?
    Or make a nice applique to cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by DeneK
    One of my first quilts was supposed to be for a co-worker who was expecting a baby. I found the cutest cat pattern. Bought the fabric -- cut it all out -- started putting it together. Well it was before I learned how careful you must be when cutting and I didn't have a clue about 1/4" seams. I think the sloppily cut fabric is still languishing in a dark corner somewhere. Never did do a quilt for my friend. As a matter of fact, didn't do any more quilting for a number of years.
    To give your sewing soul a boost - fish it out of that dark and dreary corner...cut it up into strips, add more strips of different colors, and sew them all into pieces bigger than a dinner plate. Iron them, and using the dinner plate as a pattern cut circles! Stitch two together, right sides facing in, turn, and topstitch around the edge and you have made kids placemats ...or....
    topstitch a cluster of them on a blue cloud background, sew black thread strings, and you have made a balloon party wall hanging or tabletopper. Come to think of it, balloons do come in kitty shapes don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie
    Or make a nice applique to cover it.
    If you are really desolate, can you cut it up and make a smaller quilt, or two, or some beautiful pillows out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
    I made an Irish Chain once, and discovered AFTER cutting all my strips, sewing them all together, slicing them up the other way and sewing the slices into blocks- that I didn't have a quarter inch seam! All of my block A's were a different size than my block B's!

And just yesterday I left a bag full of fabric I had been using on the floor next to the chair I had been sitting in, and the next morning the cat used it as a litter box! Arghhh!!!
    I'm curious! What did you do? make two quilts?

Quote Originally Posted by leaha
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-104932-1.htm this is about my first quilt,
    That is about the funniest quilt story I ever heard!
    "Put it in a wheel barrow to get it to the bedroom!"
    "600 hard as stones pincushions sewed together...."
    I wonder what they did with it in Alaska?
    Thanks so much luv, for a good laugh!
    I have had a sad, difficult week! Honestly, I needed nothing so much as a really good laugh!
    Thanks Thanks thanks! Jeannie

I have hand quilted onto my nightie.Another time I cut a hole in a pictire quilt,then appliqued a crow over it.Have also cut a mitre the wrong way.DH always tells me,"measure twice,cut once".I didn't listen.

OH YEA! That's good. That's an idea! If i did that and let everyone KNOW, then I could be sure no one one interupt me.lol

I was filling out the form to enter a quilt. As I placed the quilt on a table, I wondered what the small lump was ? ? ? A safety pin sewn INSIDE the quilt.

Blog Entries
    Doing it's own thing which mine does more each day. I have to keep calling it back. :cry: Hope you at least get a laugh out of these posts.

Blog Entries
    My worst mistake? Had to be stopping in the middle of a one block wonder for about 3 months. When I went back to it I could not remember what in the world I was doing. Had rows pinned on design wall but still could not get them to come out right. Finally just gave up put it all in the scrap bag. One day I will start another OBW but will work until it is done!

Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    My worst mistake? Had to be stopping in the middle of a one block wonder for about 3 months. When I went back to it I could not remember what in the world I was doing. Had rows pinned on design wall but still could not get them to come out right. Finally just gave up put it all in the scrap bag. One day I will start another OBW but will work until it is done!
    Ask here....look for a link to a tutorial for whatever you want to make....!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    I would have probably had to do that after only one week. I have a bad short term memory. :lol: :?:

Dee
    I have been working on this hex quilt top 4 years. I was trimming threads and - you guessed it-I cut a slit in one of the blocks that has the embroidery already attached. I was so frustrated. I will not rip anymore on this. I think I'll fold it up and forget it.

I guess the most glaring error I made was that I made a scrap star quilt. The scraps looked so.... um dull with a white or ecru background so I decided to cheer it up a bit with yellow. WOW... that thing is so bright it would keep you awake at night. A little yellow is wonderful, but not a lot! Nevertheless, I like the quilt top but have not been able to get myself to quilt it yet....someday maybe!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast