Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Worst way you've seen your good sewing scissors mistreated? >

Worst way you've seen your good sewing scissors mistreated?

Worst way you've seen your good sewing scissors mistreated?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Hubby used mine to cut the grips off his golf clubs.
Hmmmmm - is he still living?
Yes, but his game has declined a bit. Something about his swing just isn't the same.........
Old 06-01-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Hubby used mine to cut the grips off his golf clubs.
OMG - Golf grips are held in place with double sided tape - when was his funeral???
yes, I am well aware of the tape ....... as for the funeral......just as soon as his ashes cool down, I am going to have them molded into golf balls and send them soaring....

They were not only sticky, but also bent. There are some things you just can't get over. Like the I spy fussy cut pieces that were also used to wipe the oil off the shafts from putting on the NEW grips.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:41 PM

My scissors especially my Ginghers are off limits. Touch and you will quickly forget why you needed them in the first place!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:52 PM

About 18 years ago my DH used my silver Ginghers sissors- when they were working cattle. Those who have cattle maybe know what I'm talking about. He said he would tell me what it was all used for but I knew he trimmed hair and removed cocabers with it.

I had always told him that the silver scissors was OFF LIMITS TO HIM. But he needed a pair and he knew mine where very sharp!!!!

After he realized that it was a NO NO NO and I got very upset - He sent me to town to buy a Brand new one and material to go with it. Told him he could keep the old one in the barn.

The new one costed 2 times what I had paid for mine.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:54 PM

One screaming fit,,,thats all it took years ago. Now I'm asked if "these sissors are special or can I use them to ---"
Old 06-01-2011, 06:57 PM

I'm pregnant with our first child so he's contained, for now. The only one who seems not to learn is DH.\

Things my husband has used my scissors for (mind you he's often had to buy me a new pair, but that doesn't seem to stop him):

1/ dog fur- to be fair her coat was thick and she was WAY too hot- those just needed sharpened when he was done

2/ Hoof trimmings- I trim our horses and the dogs like to chew the left overs, he used my scissors to cut one in half so each dog had part (why not break it? still no answer)

3/ Electric fence wire, and electric rope- scissors on the wire, rotary cutter on the rope! The rotary cutter taught him not to do that- along with the 4 butterfly bandages to his finger and thigh.

4/ Icee pop tops

5/ Packing tape from a cardboard box

6/ to poke a hole in a pop can- for fun!

7/ to open chicken packages- :roll:

8/ the insoles out of his shoes

9/ to try and pry a piece of metal out of a chunk of fire wood- hey look they snapped in half!

10/ to hold a nut when he couldn't find a wrench

All in all I just hide them now, but somehow they escape periodically. He's still alive, but looking at the list he's managed several things in the seven years we've been together and we've been married for four of those. Hmmmm.... maybe I deserve a present tomorrow! Oh well, scissors can be replaced and there's only one of him.

Cheryl
Old 06-02-2011, 02:40 AM

My family knows to leave my scissors alone, even though they hang in plain view. They don't want to hear my griping so leave them be. They will ask me for a pair before snatching my good ones.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:56 AM

Cutting through that tough plastic that CDs come in. Threatened within an inch of his life!, that was DH.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Vickymomof6
I caught my daughter using them on Floral wire!!!! These were my best gingher scissors. I thought I would die right there, but alas life does go on and we do get over these things...

I don't know exactly what my daughter cut but it was something very close to wire. I took them to be sharpened and got a lecture about using Ginghers to cut things like that. "I didn't do it, my daughter did." "you need to keep them where she can't get them". Let's put it this way, she was very resourceful. They are now anything scissors. The guy had to go down too far to get the knicks out.
Robin in TX
Old 06-02-2011, 03:00 AM

Many years ago while putting up a backyard pool I found my husband with my pinking shears! He was cutting nylon cord, pool lining and some metal flashig. Needless to say, I have yet to forget that one!