Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would anyone lend one of their sewing machines? >

Would anyone lend one of their sewing machines?

Would anyone lend one of their sewing machines?

Old 10-05-2018, 02:50 AM

Since I am a retired Home Economics teacher I am in favor of using my machines to help others learn to sew. I have several machines, vintage and new. I use them all. I see no problems with sewing denim squares. Just be sure to use the proper needle and thread. I would certainly be on hand to teach someone before turning them loose on their own. I love to sew and quilt and I want others to love it also-so I have a measure of responsibility. I would not use machines that I knew to have problems-that is discouraging.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:25 AM

I do it all the time, in a school setting and in my home. No problem for me as long as I am present to keep an eye on how things are going.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

I don't think you're being selfish at all.
I wouldn't loan my Bernina to anyone for any reason! If I loaned one of my older machines I would still want to be there.
Do what you are comfortable with.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

I don't see how an old Singer or Kenmore could get hurt by use. All the adults I have taught to sew were intimidated by a machine and were cautious about using.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:57 AM

If you were closer to me, I'd give you 10 or so to give away. they would all be fully functional. I'm trying to pare down my collection and have 50 machines pulled.

I would never loan out on of my newer machines, they are too easy to break. The older vintage ones are workhorses.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:00 AM

The only way I would lend one of my machines is if the sewer was experienced in using one. Have learned my lesson doing that. Wished you were close, when we bought "The Fish Camp" 3 machines were left behind. We have 2 of them working. Want to get the 3rd working before we donate them.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:22 AM

A friend and myself started a quilting group for charity. We have grown so much in size, that many of the ladies choose to bring their own machines. I brought my Pfaff 1475 and let people use it as long as they know how to sew. We also had an old Pfaff mechanical donated, and it has yet to be used because of the weight and many of the ladies either have their own, or they prefer something a little newer. We also purchased a "cheaper" Brother on a Black Friday special and that one has been used often. Another woman has her own machine, but donated her mother's Singer mechanical and it is sewn on as well.

I would check with a sewing machine shop and see if they would consider fixing the two machines that were donated to you since you are sewing for charity. Of course, it would be on their schedule since they would do this for"free". Offer, of course, to pay for parts( a bobbin cover shouldn't be that much). Most sewing machine repair shops can tell you quickly what parts would cost and if they are available. You could then decide if it would be too costly for parts to get the machine up and running.

I have no problem with letting someone use older, vintage machines, because as stated before, they're near indestructible, although heavy. But with that said, there are certain machines that I would not let anyone use, except for myself.

As stated before, I also would run off the manuals(at least how to thread and wind bobbin). This is what I did done on the older Pfaff as it came with no manual. Beautiful machine and I wouldn't hesitate to sew on it. I also have been somewhat designated to be the "repair" person for the donated sewing machines. Many times, it is a threading issue or sometimes tension when things go out of whack all of a sudden.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I bought my machine many years ago for a thousand and I would never lend mine either. Not too long ago i read a posting from someone just starting sewing who had borrowed a machine. she messed it up and then wanted help. I told her to stop, put it all back and give it back to owner. I would hate to be in that room when she did.
sewing machines are a personal thing and too costly to not take care of.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
If you were closer to me, I'd give you 10 or so to give away. they would all be fully functional. I'm trying to pare down my collection and have 50 machines pulled.

I would never loan out on of my newer machines, they are too easy to break. The older vintage ones are workhorses.
I wish I was closer to you. Our small group of Mission Sewing meets at my place weekly. 2 of the 5 ladies are older and unable to carry their machines to our mtgs. This does prompt me to check with my dealer for cheap used machines. Good luck with your downsizing.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
i would lend an older mechanical one but not a computerized one. Especially for denim.
Yes, this.