Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would anyone lend one of their sewing machines? >

Would anyone lend one of their sewing machines?

Would anyone lend one of their sewing machines?

Old 10-05-2018, 07:38 AM

I have a couple older machines I was gifted or bought at GW or yard sales to use for things like this. They are very basic but in good working order. My good machines don't leave my sewing room. Even my kids, that know what they are doing have to ask before they use them. doesn't happen often, but they all do love my Juki for certain things.
May not be practical for many but since I work with 4-H kids it works for me. Our clinics were successful enough we were able to buy several identical basic machines so none of us has to bring our home machines.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

I would lend out my Singer 237s - they are very basic - the down side to them is that they are heavy. The sewer would have to sit still for a "how-to" on how to thread the machine, winding the bobbin, how to insert the bobbin, and how to change the needle.

If the person is not willing to go through that part of using my machines, no deal.

I won't even touch some of the newer, fancier machines for fear of messing them up.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:14 AM

I would not let someone I didn't know borrow one of my machines if I wasn't there. If I was there in a class setting, I would have no problems letting someone sew on any of my machine.

My machines are all vintage except for my cheap Brother that is just for taking to classes. The vintage machines are sturdy and I got them for cheap. I've lent them to friends for extended periods of time when someone's primary machine is in the shop. I make sure they are threaded correctly and set up for the appropriate use (quilting or zigzagging for example), along with basic supplies in a kit.

A friend of mine is giving me her old Bernina, even used it is worth more than all my machines put together and more than my computer, but less than my car. That machine will not leave my sight/house ever.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:47 PM

I have to agree with others, if you have some vintage machines, I would use those, wouldn't want to chance new "students" using a modern machine. But maybe what would be better, is to have some sewing machine and sewing lessons first.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ArlaJo View Post
I always told everyone there were three things I would never loan, my husband, my records, and my sewing machine. That was in the 60's and 70's and still holds true today.
Same here. Only for it's my husband, my cars or my sewing machines.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:05 PM

I don't loan out my machines. They are pretty important to me. Maybe it's selfish but in the past when I have loaned something, it either didn't come back or came back damaged.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:28 PM

Had a friend that was interested in getting started making quilts - after seeing the sewing machine she had - it was pretty bad - I gave one of my machines to her... She is sewing and quilting up a storm - so happy for the spare machine that was just sitting in the closet.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
i would lend an older mechanical one but not a computerized one. Especially for denim.
I agree with Zozee. I had one friend that wanted to use my Gammill, but tactfully put her off as she screws up the threading, tension, etc, etc on all of her own machines. She even tried to sew on my Elizabeth one day after I just had used it and she couldn't get it to work. After she left, the machine sewed just perfectly.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:44 PM

Patrice I must disagree. But then we are nearing the end of a 6 month reno and have done most of the work ourselves. There have been many times I would have traded my DH for a featherweight or a faster work person or a person I could fire....

Our neighbour constantly tells us that she is amazed at the amount of work that we have done ourselves. I am not amazed at it and honestly, if finances allowed, I would have loved to just supervise.

Okay back to subject. Yes I will allow other people to sew on my machines within reason as stated before. My 'vintage machines' --just two are not up for use. But I am teaching my DGD's to sew on my Janome Jem that has speed control.

My Pfaff 5.0 is only mine and no one touches it!!!
Old 10-06-2018, 01:00 AM

No way. I recently gave away one of my machines to someone who needed one. Yesterday, on eBay, I purchased the same vintage machine, new in box, for $47. It will probably need servicing after being in a box for years, but I have a great service guy who specializes in vintage machines. I had three identical machines, one the feed dogs won't stay up. The other two were in great working order so I gave one away. But history has proved that I should not loan my machines (especially if I like them).