Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would this book cover catch your eye? >

Would this book cover catch your eye?

Would this book cover catch your eye?

Old 08-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I like #1 The little girl is more integrated into the art that surrounds her and she is part of the art. I like the way the purple comes through the girl and meshes the picture with the art. # 2 just looks like an overlay of a picture on fabric.
Really like your concept!
peace
Old 08-24-2011, 12:37 PM

#3!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by np3

I didn't get it on #1. Got my light bulb moment with #2
Me too!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by PWinston
I've seen your completed quilt here on the QB and it is wonderful. Have you considered doing the whole quilt on the front of the package with an inset of the whole picture in the upper right hand corner? That way, an interested party can see everything of what you started with and everything of the finish. By chopping it up, some may think that is the way the finished product would be.

Good luck with publishing. We can say we knew you when.
I liked your idea of the entire photo and entire quilt - that is how I came up with the back cover idea.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Monika
Originally Posted by np3

I didn't get it on #1. Got my light bulb moment with #2
Me too!!!
ditto! #2
Old 08-24-2011, 12:57 PM

Okay, don't get mad but I'd change the fence out as you have in the later covers. Your quilt and design are really very elegant and the fence doesn't seem to fit. Seems to distract one from the design. If you had a primitive design or country design, it would make more sense.
Good luck with this venture - I'm excited for you!
Old 08-24-2011, 01:07 PM

I like two best. both are very nice but I prefer two
Old 08-24-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
Okay, don't get mad but I'd change the fence out as you have in the later covers. Your quilt and design are really very elegant and the fence doesn't seem to fit. Seems to distract one from the design. If you had a primitive design or country design, it would make more sense.
Good luck with this venture - I'm excited for you!
No, I would not get mad! It would be silly to ask advice, then get upset when someone offers an opinion.

Good point, this is just my fence where I hang all quilts to get a nice level hanging pic. It is just the pic I snapped to make the tutorial for the QB.

For the book, I would have my daughter take the actual book cover photo. I suppose a plain black or white backdrop would make it the best, especially if I have a gallery section, where several quilts show.

She is a professional photographer and always does a breath taking job (she took the original photo of Emmy - it was just one of their snapshot days). If you want to see more of my daughter's work, you can access her web page through my blog. The pics in the "kids and family" section that are my other grandkids are: the girl with the fur hood, the boy with his ball cap on backwards and the eyes in strips of shadow and light. This last photo actually made honorable mention in an international professional photographer's photo contest. I plan to use some of her other client pics to create patterns (with their permission of course).

Actually, I will probably have her do the design of the front and back cover. She designed the Employee Quilt Show flyer last year, and we got so many compliments on it.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:28 PM
MTS
Banned

I've seen your completed quilt here on the QB and it is wonderful. Have you considered doing the whole quilt on the front of the package with an inset of the whole picture in the upper right hand corner? That way, an interested party can see everything of what you started with and everything of the finish. By chopping it up, some may think that is the way the finished product would be. .
Bingo!!!! That's exactly what I was thinking. You want to show how effective the technique is replicating the "feel" of the photo.
It will be really clear what the inspiration/starting point is, and how the final product turns out.

Anyone looking at the cover will immediately get it.
Want more info?
Buy the book. ;-)

Having the 2 take up the same space defeats the purpose.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
I've seen your completed quilt here on the QB and it is wonderful. Have you considered doing the whole quilt on the front of the package with an inset of the whole picture in the upper right hand corner? That way, an interested party can see everything of what you started with and everything of the finish. By chopping it up, some may think that is the way the finished product would be. .
Bingo!!!! That's exactly what I was thinking. You want to show how effective the technique is replicating the "feel" of the photo.
It will be really clear what the inspiration/starting point is, and how the transforms into the final product. Anyone looking at the cover will immediately get it. Want more info? Buy the book. ;-)

Having the 2 take up the same space defeats the purpose.
Do you think it does this on the back cover (page 2)? Or would you not even flip the book over, if the front cover was as shown?