Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would like other's opinions. >

Would like other's opinions.

Would like other's opinions.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:15 PM

Went to pick up my Viking after it's usual check-up today. Found that my dealer and mr. fix-it had a used Viking designer I to sell. It was in the shop for a thorough going over, so didn't get to see it. All I really know is that it has embroidery capabilities w/ 3 different sized hoops & all of the frills that I have on my Brother. Want to know what those of you who have the same machine think about it. I value your opinions. Marge L
Old 03-31-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Marge L.
Went to pick up my Viking after it's usual check-up today. Found that my dealer and mr. fix-it had a used Viking designer I to sell. It was in the shop for a thorough going over, so didn't get to see it. All I really know is that it has embroidery capabilities w/ 3 different sized hoops & all of the frills that I have on my Brother. Want to know what those of you who have the same machine think about it. I value your opinions. Marge L
I love the Designer I, it is a real work horse. It doesn't have the 10" throat like the newer machines. I also have the Designer SE, the Topaz 30 and the Diamond. I don't use the embroidery unit on the D-I anymore since I have the other machines, but it is a great machine. It takes the floppy discs for embroidery, may be hard to find them. If you get it and want some designs, PM me and you can have some of mine.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:41 PM

I've had mine for about 5 yrs. I love this machine. I've used the embroidery unit more than I have sewed with it. I have a Freesia that I sew on regularly. The D1 is a great machine.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:55 PM

The reality is it doesn't really matter what anybody else thinks. You need to be happy with it!

Buying a sewing machine of any kind is a whole lot like buying a car. You might care about bells and whistles that don't matter to me at all.

Take some fabric and go test drive it!!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:03 AM

Have the SE and I wouldn't buy anyother machine but a Viking...due to the Sensor Foot...not on any other brand.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:34 AM

All that everyone has said is true. However, be careful. There are some Viking machines that are now obsolete. HV is no longer making the D1 and there are many machines that they no longer make that you can no longer get parts for repair. This includes the main pc board. Rumor has it that the D1 parts will very soon be no longer available. I have heard this many times recently. You might be better off purchasing a Topaz 20 or 30, they are wonderful machines, but are not has pricey has the Ruby & Diamond.

Good Luck and Be Blessed
Old 04-01-2011, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Have the SE and I wouldn't buy anyother machine but a Viking...due to the Sensor Foot...not on any other brand.
I have never met anyone who has a Viking that would ever switch to another brand. I have 5 and am about to get the 18/8 long arm quilter. I think their customer service and repair service is second to none. The old addage "you get what you pay for" is so true here. So many people complain about the high cost, but they also have never sewed on one. The accessories are expensive, but have never had any problems with any of them. And MY dealer is top notch. Helps that she is in the Joann store too. :roll: Of course also helps that I am her best customer. another :roll:
Old 04-01-2011, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by FloridaQuilter
All that everyone has said is true. However, be careful. There are some Viking machines that are now obsolete. HV is no longer making the D1 and there are many machines that they no longer make that you can no longer get parts for repair. This includes the main pc board. Rumor has it that the D1 parts will very soon be no longer available. I have heard this many times recently. You might be better off purchasing a Topaz 20 or 30, they are wonderful machines, but are not has pricey has the Ruby & Diamond.

Good Luck and Be Blessed
My D1 is over 10 years old and has only needed one repair in that time. And that was right after I bought it, something electronic and was repaired free. My grandkids use it. Look at all the obsolete Singers out there and people still buy them. I also have the Topaz 30, wonderful machine without the big screen, and the Diamond, words cannot properly describe it.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
I have never met anyone who has a Viking that would ever switch to another brand. I have 5 and am about to get the 18/8 long arm quilter. I think their customer service and repair service is second to none. The old addage "you get what you pay for" is so true here. So many people complain about the high cost, but they also have never sewed on one. The accessories are expensive, but have never had any problems with any of them. And MY dealer is top notch. Helps that she is in the Joann store too. :roll: Of course also helps that I am her best customer. another :roll:

I definitely agree with you. I have an older Viking and it's a regular workhorse. I trust my dealer, who is also Mr. fix-it. His son works with him & I'm sure he is a good follower. I trust them both. That helps. Just wanted something that would take care of larger hoops for embroidery. Have lots of ideas, but can't carry them out w/ only a 4" hoop on my Brother. Thanks for your comments. It really helps me make a decision. Marge L.