Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you buy a Featherweight needing work? >

Would you buy a Featherweight needing work?

Would you buy a Featherweight needing work?

Old 03-22-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mamatron
I was wondering if you would buy a Featherweight that was in poor condition? The one i speak of is scratched up, missing some of the gold detail, and the biggest concern is that the belt has almost totally disintegrated and may or may not have gunked up the motor? It powers on and you can see the "thingy" spin but due to the belt's condition is does not move. Is $95 too much?
It sounds like all fixable things. the beauty of these machines lies in the "guts" and not too much can go wrong with that if a good person oils, etc. belts are easily replaced. don't see how the belt falling apart could affect
the motor. at $95 I would grab it and run. get Dave McCallums book on 221's & fix it all yourself. also a DVD so you can see what to do. I'd buy it & pay the postage if you decide not to get it.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM

These little machines are a gem! Very easy to fix and not a big expense for parts. Can you post a picture?

If you've seen it and like it I would go ahead! If you are hesitant (spelling?) in any way-don't do it. There are plenty out there. I would definitely ask for a reduced price since it needs help. My centinenal she was asking 200. but after trying it out before I bought it I found some problems. I walked away paying 75 for it. She was fine with that and was not the least bit insulted. She wanted it to go to a good home so I assured her it would be very well taken care of. And it is! There are four other siblings. My husband fixed it and she works like a charm! I paid 220 for my first (I just had to have it!) but under 200 for my other Featherweights.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:54 PM

Mine was rode hard and put up wet, but I wouldn't part with her. She sings along and makes a perfect stitch. That is the important thing. He decals are wearing and she had surface damage and shows suffering, but that means nothing when she sews so sweetly. PS, she cost quite a bit more than the one you are speaking of.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 PM

I just bought one off e-bay last wk. pd. 265.00. I have not recieved it yet. But they are fairly expensive. I hope I got a good buy.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 AM

I'd buy it.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:44 AM

Sorry,no he does not have the handles. If you will contact Glenn Williams. Email address: [email protected]
Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 AM

Just make sure the bobbin case (the thingy that hold the bobbin in place) is there. That's the most expensive part to replace, but then replacement parts are available and if you don't mind putting a few dollars more in it, grab it quick. I bought a white one with lots of surface damage, had it painted and repaired and I do have quite a bit in it but don't regret a penny as it's such a sweet machine and wonderful to take to classes. Also have three black ones. Love the featherweights!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by libber
What is it's birthdate and where was it made? FW's were/are designed as a very simple machine, to maintain and repair. Even I know how to do almost all of it.
Most of the things you listed sound more cosmetic. You can even get replacement decals. Belts are easy. Get Dave McCallum's DVD. It is very good.
i got this DVD he also has parts & tools to sell for fw
Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 AM

Yes, $95 is too much. Keep looking, you'll find a better buy.
Pauline
Old 03-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joannd
How did you get the odor out? I have a white one and the case handle needs to be replaced but the odor comes and goes.
Any suggestions? :)
I keep a pair of Odoreaters brand charcoal shoe inserts in the case. They not only pad the machine, but the charcoal absorbs all the odor so the case never smells.