Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a Featherweight needing work?

I was wondering if you would buy a Featherweight that was in poor condition? The one i speak of is scratched up, missing some of the gold detail, and the biggest concern is that the belt has almost totally disintegrated and may or may not have gunked up the motor? It powers on and you can see the "thingy" spin but due to the belt's condition is does not move. Is $95 too much?

Blog Entries
    I would probably buy it. Belts can be replaced easily enough, and with a good cleaning it just might turn out to be a great little machine.

buy it you can fix it with the tutorials here. $95 is a great deal! I have seen them for over 450$

Featherweights in poor condition still fetch close to $200 around here. I can't imagine that a belt would be very expensive.

Might be worth the risk, especially if you can take it to someone that repairs/refurbishes Featherweights.....Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    I paid $125 for mine with no guarantee it would ever work, but $65 later she purrs like a champ. Her decals are dim, her case is rough and I just finally got all the odor out this weekend, but I love her and would think yours will be fine too with just a tune up!

I think body condition is the most important...if bad..I'd take a pass..Ck out ebay and see what they go for...tons on there and for a few $ more might get one in better condition

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I would not give more than $50 for it in that condition..it takes a lot of money to get them repaired and made to look good again...is there a case, attachments, etc???

Interestingly to me, body condition is less important, as long as it wasn't battered. Mine has some of the decals missing on the front where it probably got a lot of use. And probably has some good stories to tell if it could. I would think it could be made workable again and $95 is a good price based on what I've seen on ebay and I bought the only one I ever saw in person at a flea market for $150 (he was asking $190). It didn't have a case but did have a bobbin case and I have lots of attachments from vintage singers that fit. My repair guy charged me about $50 to oil, lube, give a once over and fix the bobbin winder gasket. I'm tickled with it..

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I know of one in TX that is MINT for $325, in a case with attachments! I mean MINT..better than some of the refurbished ones I have seen at shows...

Blog Entries
    Worst case you could "part out" the featherweight for more than $95 -- that is, dissassemble the parts and sell them individually online.

However, chances are good it would simply need a new belt.

Had to replace the belt on my FW a few weeks ago. Belt was $10 and they charged me 12.50 to put in on.

I'd buy it. :thumbup:

I would.

Blog Entries
    I'd buy it for that price.

Yep, I would but then my dh can fix anything!

Yep, I would but then my dh can fix anything!
    Oops! didn't mean to double post, but I would still buy it!

There really isn't a lot to go wrong with a Featherweight. They have all metal parts, no plastic. Belts are not a problem. Mine wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread and the repair and cleaning only cost $35.00. I'd go for it!

There really isn't a lot to go wrong with a Featherweight. They have all metal parts, no plastic. Belts are not a problem. Mine wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread and the repair and cleaning only cost $35.00. I'd go for it! They can be repainted but that gets expensive. If you want it for sewing and taking to classes a few scratches don't matter as long as it purrs.

I would grab it in a heartbeat. I got mine last week for 150 and the gal was not sure it worked. The cord was a little frayed and it was dirty. I gave the cord to my hubby and he fixed it up. I cleaned it up and oiled and greased it and now it runs like new.

I don't think you can go wrong on any Featherweight, unless it was ran over and smashed.

I would buy it! They are very very easy to get to work and you can clean and maintain them easily. If you want to use and enjoy it, who cares if some of the decals are worn off. I found mine at the curb.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For that price I certainly would buy it. It wouldn't cost all that much to have it humming along. Featherweights are so popular that the prices are still quite high especially for a so called mint condition one. Course there are the few lucky people that have found them for virtually nothing but for most of us don't find those.

Basically it just depends on your available funds and the ability to have it tuned up, electrical cords checked, etc. But if you've wanted one forever, then I'd go for it. Quite possibly the needle isn't placed in the machine properly and their may be minor issues that are easily fixed. Finding the belt isn't a problem at all. The are easily available. Did you try to post this to Billy our expert on vintage machines? Any concerns you have would be addressed honestly and accurately by him. Plus all the other people on the board that have them and have faced the same issues you are concerned about. Post on the Vintage Sewing topic area and you'd be amazed at the help you'd find there.

I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I don't think you can get hurt on this. They can be pretty high and probably it might just need a good cleaning and new belt and some TLC it sounds like. I think you would be happy with the end result.

we have a little quilt shop/vac center that repairs machines. I'd buy it fix it up and then you have a sturdy little forever machine.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast