Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a Featherweight needing work?

Me too but would offer less and see if they would take it because of the condition. You may be surprised. I would not be afraid of the condition, those machines never quit. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I would go for it. My repairman says the only thing that breaks down is the motor will eventually wear out and can replace for a little over $100. I would have mine replaced in a heartbeat. Ive replaced my belt for $10 and put it on myself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamatron
    I was wondering if you would buy a Featherweight that was in poor condition? The one i speak of is scratched up, missing some of the gold detail, and the biggest concern is that the belt has almost totally disintegrated and may or may not have gunked up the motor? It powers on and you can see the "thingy" spin but due to the belt's condition is does not move. Is $95 too much?
    I am not sewing machine savvy other than knowing that this is a great sewing machine with metal parts so there is definitely value in it. Its a simple machine. My DH compares it to working on an older car, they were easy to fix in comparison to todays cars. You could post this question here http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm and check with your sewing machine repair person to get their input. So many on here have gotten FWs that werent working and brought them back to working condition and were very happy. It could be something simple that is an easy fix. Here is another link about FWs you might find helpful
    http://singerfeatherweight221.blogsp...herweight.html I got my 1st FW in January of this year and am very happy with her. I paid $225 and she was in great shape. Had my sewing machine repairman take a look at her and she was just fine :) She purrs like a kitten and sews a beautiful straight stitch. I wouldnt let a couple scratches on her or missing gold detail stop me from getting her.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
    I would buy it! They are very very easy to get to work and you can clean and maintain them easily. If you want to use and enjoy it, who cares if some of the decals are worn off. I found mine at the curb.
    I can't believe someone kicked her to the curb! Glad you found her.

If you decide not to buy it, I would be happy to.

How did you get the odor out? I have a white one and the case handle needs to be replaced but the odor comes and goes.
    Any suggestions? :)

So, how did you get the odor out of the FW? The odor comes from a mold that grows in the glue used to keep the black covering on. This only happens, by the way, in the cases that were made in the U.S., so I have been told. The only way I have found to eliminate it was to completely remove the covering, sand the wood down, then recover it. It would be good to hear if your method worked as a permanent fix.

Terry -- in Northern Delaware

Go for it. Featherweights are the easiest to work on yourself. There are many books and online videos to help with that. I do believe that there is a group on here that caters to old machines.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I know of one in TX that is MINT for $325, in a case with attachments! I mean MINT..better than some of the refurbished ones I have seen at shows...
    And where in Texas is that??? ;-)

Blog Entries
    If you want a great extra sewing machine, grab it and have it serviced. You won't regret it.

I'm not sure how much value would be lost if some of the gold is missing.

I would buy it in a heartbeat! Mine was purchased on Ebay and through the tutorial, I took it all apart, cleaned it, lubricated it and replaced the felt oil catcher in the bottom. Parts are readily available and they almost never become totally broken. My total cost was under $200. As to the cosmetic look....it will still purr when serviced. Go for it.

For $95 dollars I would buy it and restore it.

Blog Entries
    You can buy a belt online. Google what you want or look on Ebay. They are not expensive. When I first got my Featherweight it needed a new belt to make it run properly. Not it purrs like a kitten.

I was wondering if you would buy a Featherweight that was in poor condition? The one i speak of is scratched up, missing some of the gold detail, and the biggest concern is that the belt has almost totally disintegrated and may or may not have gunked up the motor? It powers on and you can see the "thingy" spin but due to the belt's condition is does not move. Is $95 too much?

Not true they are very easy to work on and DH & I do all my service and repairs. It is worth $100 as is.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I would not give more than $50 for it in that condition..it takes a lot of money to get them repaired and made to look good again...is there a case, attachments, etc???

Just for your info. I recently went to an auction because a Featherweight was advertised. I thought maybe I could buy it and make a few bucks selling it. I already have a white Featherweight that I would never part with. So much for a bargain. A lady paid almost $700 for it. I ask her why so much and she said I collect them.

I wouldn't buy it due to the fact that it is all scratched up. That's the first thing I would look at...for me, it has to look good. The motors and bobbin case for the FW's are very expensive. Everything else can be dealt with very reasonably and you can do it all yourself. I have 4 FW's and have worked on them all and got them up and running. I bought my first one from Ebay and spent a total of $212...that was before I realized I could do better than that on Craigslist and from yard sales, where I purchased the other 3...one for $75, $40, and $30. All came with cases, original accessories and manual. They are out there in great shape and reasonably priced.

If you don't mind the appearance of this machine, and the motor is good and comes with the bobbin case, carrying case, etc, maybe you could made an offer and get it at a lower price. You don't have to take it out to be cleaned, etc, you really can do it all yourself. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    I sure would buy it and if the out side is "rough" well I'd have it painited my fav color!

I understand that some car painting shops would paint the body for you. And, I believe you can buy the decals, but don't quote me for any of this.

I would buy it fast. My husband deals in refurbishing & painting featherweights. & he would buy one in that condition. So would I. The ugliest one I ever had sewed like a dream, so to me it was gorgeous. There is no such a thing as an ugly featherweight to me.

Blog Entries
    What is it's birthdate and where was it made? FW's were/are designed as a very simple machine, to maintain and repair. Even I know how to do almost all of it.
    Most of the things you listed sound more cosmetic. You can even get replacement decals. Belts are easy. Get Dave McCallum's DVD. It is very good.

No. Don't mean to offend anyone. To each his own. I just don't get the draw of featherweights and vintage machines. But i'm not into antiques of any kind. That's just me. I know many people love them. I'm just not one of them.

The older machines have all metal parts which makes them more durabe,They are easier to maintain, they are made to last, & they make the most beautiful stitches. I have a new computerized machine, but it has plastic parts & the new ones are more expensive to maintain. I only bought this one to Quilt on & thats all. I have a 301 singer & a 201 that will do the same thing. Now I wish I had not jumped so quickly. For quilting you don't need all those features that you would enjoy when you sew clothes & other items. I guess it's to each his own. Have a great day!

Blog Entries
    Absolutely I'd buy it. Belts are easy to replace, matter of fact so are all the parts to a FW.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joannd
    How did you get the odor out? I have a white one and the case handle needs to be replaced but the odor comes and goes.
    Any suggestions? :)
    If you have or know anyone who has a large freezer, put the open case in the freezer for a few days. Voila! No more odor.

Ive used cat litter, fabreeze, sunshine, etc to get rid of the odor...belt are about $10-15 and the motor about $65 but Billy of lostn51 has decals for them (or did)...may be that it needs cleaning-oiling to get it running just perfectly! See if they would take $75 instead....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast