Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you have said something????????? >

Would you have said something?????????

Would you have said something?????????

Old 09-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Suz

I, too, would have gotten involved and spoken up. After making draperies and other window coverings for a long long time professionally, I would have opened my big mouth. I have in the past and believe I saved a customer some heartache and disappointment. AND, I always receive the input from others concerning my shortcomings.

I think, too, that you should speak to management about the training of their cutting staff. If there is a question that she/he cannot answer, they should seek help from management or other experienced cutters and this should be pointed out to management. These stores are to keep us happy and obviously, they fell short in this case.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Originally Posted by donnajean
I have a big mouth & probably would have contributed my opinion.
LOL, I also have a big mouth - but I have a big heart also and would have felt really bad if I didn't say something. Hopefully the lady another kind of coordinating fabric in her stash or was able to do something else that made the curtains work for her.

I would have felt really bad about allowing her to go home without enough fabric. Money not well spent.

I sewed a dress for a woman 50 years ago. Her friend had cut it out and never sewed it so she hired me. The cutter had not cut enough for a skirt only a front or a back -- 3 of 6 gores. I tried to explain it to her and she could not understand. Kept saying, 'it's all there!" I finally asked her if she wanted her front or her back covered and put it together. Of course, she could wear the dress and there was no matching fabric to be had. I learned not to try to finish another's project. There is a reason the first person quit.

I don't think this woman was a sewer. Hopefully, she'll find someone to help her add headers and hems and some extra inches.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:28 AM

I work at our Hobby Lobby part time and would love to be transferred to the fabric department but I am an experienced picture framer and they keep me in the frame shop. They have a young girl with no expereince in fabrics at our store too. I'm not sure the managements gets that you need experienced clerks in fabrics but I will share this post with our manager. Oh well, as soon as I get my long arm quilting business bringing in a full time income my career at Hobby Lobby is history.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:43 AM

Well, I hope it wasn't very expensive fabric! And, I hope there was enough on the bolt so she could come back and buy more. At least she wasn't ordering fabric for a whole room of windows. If she was young...it must have been the first pair of curtains she was making. She may end up with cafe curtains! She will learn! So, don't feel bad.
However, IF I had noticed, I MIGHT have started a conversation and asked how deep the hems and header would be....at least I hope I would!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by bamamama
I work at our Hobby Lobby part time and would love to be transferred to the fabric department but I am an experienced picture framer and they keep me in the frame shop. They have a young girl with no expereince in fabrics at our store too. I'm not sure the managements gets that you need experienced clerks in fabrics but I will share this post with our manager. Oh well, as soon as I get my long arm quilting business bringing in a full time income my career at Hobby Lobby is history.
That is a great idea to share this info with your manager! I BET he never made a set of curtains! Good luck with your longarm business!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by MzMcKee
I can't help myself.. but I aways find myself stepping in if I think it would be helpful. Sometimes I get in trouble because I didn't hear the start, but I always seem to find myself doing it...
Ah Mona, you and I need to meet! We'd be double the trouble! LOL
Old 09-06-2011, 06:48 AM

I have a big mouth too so would probably said something about allowing for hems etc.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 AM

I give free advice all the time.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 AM

I would of said something about not enough fabric.
IdahoSandy
Old 09-06-2011, 07:30 AM

I know I would of said something, but that is just me. Ca't keep my mouth or my nose out of it, specially when concerning fabric and someone that just doesn't have a clue.