Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you pay that much? >

Would you pay that much?

Would you pay that much?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
I've read so many posts on this site from ladies and gents saying what wonderful, helpful people they've met here, but I must say this thread has exposed all sorts of prejudices, and the snarky comments are uncalled for and very unbecoming, people.
I am always amazed that anyone would pay millions of dollars for paintings and other art objects, but some can and do. There are also people who will pay premium prices for handcrafted items and various services which they are perfectly capable of performing themselves. Many of us using this site prefer good old fashioned Yankee ingenuity and do-it-yourself when possible, and revel in the thrill of the hunt for a bargain.
But, not everyone makes quilts from all cotton fabrics. Of necessity, women made utilitarian quilts in the past with what ever fabric they could get their hands on. The most stunning crazy quilts incorporate silk, velvet, wool, ribbons, and various other unconventional fabrics, threads, and found objects. Art quilts, which are not much in evidence on this site, incorporate everything from hand dyed or painted fabric to dryer lint to feathers to nylon net as well as the previous fabrics. Why would we want to limit the availability of unconventional fabric for our craft?
North Adams, Massachusetts was a blue collar community dying a slow death from the loss of its manufacturing job base that has reinvented itself as a worthwhile destination based on the natural beauty of its location and the re-use of its empty mills to attract artists of all stripes and to establish the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art, better known as Mass MoCA. Not my cup of tea, but I wouldn't dream of imposing my taste in art on others. So, while I will not be standing in line to buy that expensive fabric for quilting, decorating, or upholstering, I am glad that it is available for anyone who desires it. Every local business venture that succeeds pumps energy and dollars into growing the local economy, and hopefully that success will expand outward like ripples on a pond.
Well said.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:46 PM

Thanks Cheshirecatquilter. It needed to be said.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
I've read so many posts on this site from ladies and gents saying what wonderful, helpful people they've met here, but I must say this thread has exposed all sorts of prejudices, and the snarky comments are uncalled for and very unbecoming, people.
I am always amazed that anyone would pay millions of dollars for paintings and other art objects, but some can and do. There are also people who will pay premium prices for handcrafted items and various services which they are perfectly capable of performing themselves. Many of us using this site prefer good old fashioned Yankee ingenuity and do-it-yourself when possible, and revel in the thrill of the hunt for a bargain.
But, not everyone makes quilts from all cotton fabrics. Of necessity, women made utilitarian quilts in the past with what ever fabric they could get their hands on. The most stunning crazy quilts incorporate silk, velvet, wool, ribbons, and various other unconventional fabrics, threads, and found objects. Art quilts, which are not much in evidence on this site, incorporate everything from hand dyed or painted fabric to dryer lint to feathers to nylon net as well as the previous fabrics. Why would we want to limit the availability of unconventional fabric for our craft?
North Adams, Massachusetts was a blue collar community dying a slow death from the loss of its manufacturing job base that has reinvented itself as a worthwhile destination based on the natural beauty of its location and the re-use of its empty mills to attract artists of all stripes and to establish the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art, better known as Mass MoCA. Not my cup of tea, but I wouldn't dream of imposing my taste in art on others. So, while I will not be standing in line to buy that expensive fabric for quilting, decorating, or upholstering, I am glad that it is available for anyone who desires it. Every local business venture that succeeds pumps energy and dollars into growing the local economy, and hopefully that success will expand outward like ripples on a pond.
I'm with you. I think we are lucky that we can purchase all types of fabric and for those saying that fabric made of recycled plastic would be heavy/hard you need to see/touch it first. It does have a nice soft feel. I also believe that it is nice to see something made in America for a change and for that reason alone, I may buy it.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:23 AM

No, it sounds like a photo process onto fabric which I don't like. I don't even like hand painted fabric. I'm too traditional. I did make a booboo once in Florence Italy. Bought Italian cotton at this beautiful little fabric shop and later realized I'd paid over $30.00 yard :oops: :oops:
Old 11-20-2010, 07:21 AM

A word of caution: One should not make bedding or PJs out of synthetic materials, no matter how nice the "feel". Stick to wall hangings, runners, and such. In case of fire or hot spill they can melt and stick to the body. Natural fibers will turn to ash, not much protection in case of severe heat, but better than having to peel melted plastic off of burned flesh. If you are wondering if your fabric is all cotton, take a small piece and touch a flame to it. The burnt edge will be ash and crumble away if cotton, but will have a crispy, stiff edge if synthetics are combined with it. I haven't done this with wool, but if it's in a thick layer, it is flame retardant (not fire proof).
Old 11-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

Not in this life time
Old 11-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Dee

No - No - No.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:40 AM

Absolutely not..........
Old 11-21-2010, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
http://www.thetranscript.com/ci_1664...ce=most_viewed

If you click on this story and read through to the 2nd store owner, she talks about regionally inspired fabrics. She's charging $60 a yard, and almost $17 for a fat quarter...would you pay this amount for fabric???

I know I wouldn't...
No Way!!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 07:47 AM

Hmmm... I wish her luck, but somehow I don't think she'll have many takers at that price! Certainly not me!