Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you pay that much? >

Would you pay that much?

Would you pay that much?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
http://www.thetranscript.com/ci_1664...ce=most_viewed

If you click on this story and read through to the 2nd store owner, she talks about regionally inspired fabrics. She's charging $60 a yard, and almost $17 for a fat quarter...would you pay this amount for fabric???

I know I wouldn't...
I sometimes have a problem cutting into a piece of fabric that I paid $4.99 yd for or even less sometimes. I think if I even bought a fat quarter I would have to laminate it, frame it and hang it on the wall just like that!! LOL!!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Momof3Es

If you click on this story and read through to the 2nd store owner, she talks about regionally inspired fabrics. She's charging $60 a yard, and almost $17 for a fat quarter...would you pay this amount for fabric???

I know I wouldn't...
I sometimes have a problem cutting into a piece of fabric that I paid $4.99 yd for or even less sometimes. I think if I even bought a fat quarter I would have to laminate it, frame it and hang it on the wall just like that!! LOL!!
If you look at her site you will see that she has made pictures just from the piece of fabric. That fabric would really make beautiful wall hanging/pictures.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

"Cheshirecatquilter wrote:
I've read so many posts on this site from ladies and gents saying what wonderful, helpful people they've met here, but I must say this thread has exposed all sorts of prejudices, and the snarky comments are uncalled for and very unbecoming, people.
I am always amazed that anyone would pay millions of dollars for paintings and other art objects, but some can and do. There are also people who will pay premium prices for handcrafted items and various services which they are perfectly capable of performing themselves. Many of us using this site prefer good old fashioned Yankee ingenuity and do-it-yourself when possible, and revel in the thrill of the hunt for a bargain.
But, not everyone makes quilts from all cotton fabrics. Of necessity, women made utilitarian quilts in the past with what ever fabric they could get their hands on. The most stunning crazy quilts incorporate silk, velvet, wool, ribbons, and various other unconventional fabrics, threads, and found objects. Art quilts, which are not much in evidence on this site, incorporate everything from hand dyed or painted fabric to dryer lint to feathers to nylon net as well as the previous fabrics. Why would we want to limit the availability of unconventional fabric for our craft?
North Adams, Massachusetts was a blue collar community dying a slow death from the loss of its manufacturing job base that has reinvented itself as a worthwhile destination based on the natural beauty of its location and the re-use of its empty mills to attract artists of all stripes and to establish the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art, better known as Mass MoCA. Not my cup of tea, but I wouldn't dream of imposing my taste in art on others. So, while I will not be standing in line to buy that expensive fabric for quilting, decorating, or upholstering, I am glad that it is available for anyone who desires it. Every local business venture that succeeds pumps energy and dollars into growing the local economy, and hopefully that success will expand outward like ripples on a pond."

My sentiments exactly. Different strokes and all that.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6

I know I wouldn't...
It's Holyoke, Mass. What would you expect?!?!? A spendy area. Not in my future....
It's actually not Holyoke, but North Adams, just outside Williamstown...it's a pretty small city...not sure the exact population, but having been born and raised there and only gone for 6 years, I don't think there will be many people there purchasing her stuff. Maybe the richie rich Williamstown folk, but not a regular North Adams citizen :/
Old 11-22-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
I've read so many posts on this site from ladies and gents saying what wonderful, helpful people they've met here, but I must say this thread has exposed all sorts of prejudices, and the snarky comments are uncalled for and very unbecoming, people.
I am always amazed that anyone would pay millions of dollars for paintings and other art objects, but some can and do. There are also people who will pay premium prices for handcrafted items and various services which they are perfectly capable of performing themselves. Many of us using this site prefer good old fashioned Yankee ingenuity and do-it-yourself when possible, and revel in the thrill of the hunt for a bargain.
But, not everyone makes quilts from all cotton fabrics. Of necessity, women made utilitarian quilts in the past with what ever fabric they could get their hands on. The most stunning crazy quilts incorporate silk, velvet, wool, ribbons, and various other unconventional fabrics, threads, and found objects. Art quilts, which are not much in evidence on this site, incorporate everything from hand dyed or painted fabric to dryer lint to feathers to nylon net as well as the previous fabrics. Why would we want to limit the availability of unconventional fabric for our craft?
North Adams, Massachusetts was a blue collar community dying a slow death from the loss of its manufacturing job base that has reinvented itself as a worthwhile destination based on the natural beauty of its location and the re-use of its empty mills to attract artists of all stripes and to establish the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art, better known as Mass MoCA. Not my cup of tea, but I wouldn't dream of imposing my taste in art on others. So, while I will not be standing in line to buy that expensive fabric for quilting, decorating, or upholstering, I am glad that it is available for anyone who desires it. Every local business venture that succeeds pumps energy and dollars into growing the local economy, and hopefully that success will expand outward like ripples on a pond.
I just want to state that I did not intend to start anything with this post. I didn't mean for anyone to bash this woman, and I give her credit for going out there and selling her art, and yes, it's just that, art. The article I thought made it sounds like the fabrics were meant for quilting. Maybe I read it wrong. I hope that my starting this thread hasn't stomped on too many toes and if it has, I'm sorry.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:30 PM

Well I'm in Texas and we have a lot of fabric with Texas Wildflowers but none of it is $60.00 a yard. Must of been hand woven and hand painted.

MLT
Old 11-23-2010, 12:52 AM

Well, everyone places a different value on things. What this lady creates are art pieces and, although they are not my "cup of tea", I respect her for her creativity.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Banned

Never, daylight robbery.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:50 PM

Hello Everybody!

I'm Martha Flood - the "Infamous" designer in question. I became aware of this dialog through my website. I appreciate everyone's comments, because they are a learning experience for me, and I'd like to give some feedback, if I may. Please, I do not intend to "rob" anybody!

I'm in my mid 50's and have sewed all my life. I have great respect for the sewing arts and I recently joined the Albany chapter of the American Sewing Guild. I learned as a girl from my mother and grandmothers. I understand that quilting fabrics are lighter weight and lower cost fabrics. There's a great quilt shop here in North Adams with lot's of great fabrics.

I'm also a fabric and wallpaper designer with 30+ years experience in manufacturing, so my orientation is more towards manufactured goods rather than hand dyed or painted fabrics. These fabrics are intended for the interiors and specialty higher-end uses. The designs are inspired by patterns and textures that we encounter in the New England woodlands and along country byways, and as such are artistic statements. They're good for seat covers, pillows, shades and bags, etc.

They're much different than you'd find in Joanne Fabrics, and that's what I intended. They are short-run high quality digitally prints on a heavy weight upholstery canvas that's been woven from recycled plastic bottles. All the manufacturing and printing has taken place in the USA. I have a small quantity of the fabrics for sale here in my storefront/studio. They aren't aren't available anyplace else. I can't afford to produce them in mass market quantities. These factors are reflected in a realistic, but high, retail price. Lower priced fabrics that are available in mass market stores are printed in huge quantities overseas.

North Adams Massachusetts, where I'm living and working, is an old industrial city in a beautiful rural and mountainous area. The people here are as friendly, honest and hardworking as anywhere in the country. Many years ago the industrial base left this area leaving abandoned mills and a lot of poverty. One large mill was converted to a world class contemporary art museum, Mass MoCA, others house artist's lofts and small industry. We're also the home of Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts. In the summer the Berkshires attract visitors from all over the world. The area has world class music, art, dance and theater, and a thriving artists community.

If you can, I encourage you to visit North Adams, it's beautiful, especially in summer when there's lot's to see and do. Check out http://www.downstreetart.org/

I wish everyone great success in their creative endeavors! I hope you find lots of fabulous fabrics to work with! Most of all, please don't undervalue your work!

Peace, Love, & Happy Quilting,

Martha
http://www.marthaflood.com/
Old 12-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Ms. Flood,

You are a very gracious, classy lady. Good luck with your business.

SewingLadyDI