Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you? >

Would you?

Would you?

Old 08-19-2011, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I think it is a good opportunity, but you need to be cautious. Do you know this person, are there friends who know this person and his reputation? Julie R. gave some very good advice. Start slowly, but up front get details - such as how many quilts would he expect, what type of quilts, would you be making one type of quilt always, or could you make a good variety of quilts, and get a price range for what he would be selling the quilts. Plus GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. I wish you luck as it sounds like a great idea if he is truly interested in selling your quilts, but I also think that 50% is a bit high, even if he does supply the materials. Let us know how it works out.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:58 AM

The quilt is beautiful and I can see why he would offer this opportunity. Just protect yourself, is he aware of the time involved on your part?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Get every detail in writing

ABSOLUTELY - ABSOLUTELY - ABSOLUTELY.

Until you both agree to what you (1) understand the arrangement to be and (2) both sides agree to it, you'd be amazed at how screwed up things can get and how quickly.

I also agree to start small - do not agree to a fixed number of quilts or other (quilted) items such as purses/totes ON A SCHEDULE for several months down the road. You both need to see what he can sell and in what time frame.

As good as this sounds, he may NOT be as successful selling your items as he may think or hope. Does he have any experience marketing and selling quilts? I doubt it. Every market (buyer) needs to be approached differently, and he needs to learn about selling quilts before he commits also.

Protect yourself first. I speak from my own experience and that of several friends and guild members.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:23 AM

Be sure you have a well-written contract that lists specifics!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Get every detail in writing
By all means!

Also, set realistic completion dates and numbers. You don't want him expecting you to produce more quilts that you can handle.

And one more thing, be sure you have a say in the pattern and fabric choices. In my experience, it seems that when I let someone else pick the quilt they want made, they will choose one of the most difficult patterns or will choose difficult fabrics, like striped fabric with a curved pattern. Keep the choices within your comfort/experience zone.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:39 AM

You can sell your own quilts, so why do you need him?? You just have to advertise them. Also word of mouth is a good source to start by getting your friends to help. There is e-bay, newspapers, flyers and much more. Then think again, do you want to work full time making quilts that someone else is going to get half the money for. Just start out slow, building your stash, going from there. Don't think you can crank out quilts like on an assembly line, as the quality goes down. Good luck.
IdahoSandy
Old 08-19-2011, 07:40 AM

You can sell your own quilts, so why do you need him?? You just have to advertise them. Also word of mouth is a good source to start by getting your friends to help. There is e-bay, newspapers, flyers and much more. Then think again, do you want to work full time making quilts that someone else is going to get half the money for. Just start out slow, building your stash, going from there. Don't think you can crank out quilts like on an assembly line, as the quality goes down. Good luck.
IdahoSandy
Old 08-19-2011, 08:01 AM

It was your avatar he saw right? No wonder.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:04 AM

Katy,

Your quote at the end made me really laugh! I never heard that one before. I'm going to make a print out and hang it above my stash!!!!

"She who dies with the most fabric wasn't sewing fast enough".
Old 08-19-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by dolores
At my sons baby shower, after they showed the quilt I made for my grandson that is due in Oct. When they were told by my son that I made it,When the shock wore off. A man told me he would invest in my quilting. He told me he would buy my material and stuff and me make the quilts, we would sell them and split the money. I am on a fixed income and can only spend so much on my hobby. I know he is well off, God knows I could use some extra income, If he is willing to buy the materials and help sell them would you take a chance?
I hope this is a good person, that being said, get the agreement on paper, so there will be no misunderstandings. Sounds like a deal made in heaven. Have fun.