Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you use a dissolveable thread on your quilting machine? >

Would you use a dissolveable thread on your quilting machine?

Would you use a dissolveable thread on your quilting machine?

Old 10-05-2016, 07:47 AM

I'm glad to hear it doesn't damage the machine. I'm now prone to use it for basting whole quilts. Talked with the lady that wants me to baste her quilts and she says she doesn't wash them afterwards so guess I'll have to use regular thread on hers. She also stated as someone else here did that you take out the regular basting thread as you quilt. I've never basted anything before so didn't know the rules of the game.

Now the next question is whether the dissolveable thread gums up the washing machine? I know when we use the water solveable stabilizers for embroidery we're to take as much off as possible so not to gum up the pipes. I can't see this little of thread causing issues with the pipes or washing machine.

I've had this huge spool of thread for years and have yet to use any of it. There's no brand on it so don't who made it but I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks all for your views on using this thread. I feel much better about it now.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:21 PM

Patricia Drew, its been in a plastic bag all this time as I used to live in Florida and I was afraid of all that humidity down there. But of course I'd do a test run to make sure of the tension and whatever else. Due to the humidity down there and palmetto bugs I kept most everything in plastic bags or containers. Those bugs loved to eat soap, candles, glue, you name it, they ate it.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Patricia Drew, its been in a plastic bag all this time as I used to live in Florida and I was afraid of all that humidity down there. But of course I'd do a test run to make sure of the tension and whatever else. Due to the humidity down there and palmetto bugs I kept most everything in plastic bags or containers. Those bugs loved to eat soap, candles, glue, you name it, they ate it.
Let us know how it goes. The first time I used that type of thread, I actually washed my test piece: I guess I didn't really believe it would actually dissolve! I then used it to baste a large (for me) quilt. It made a big difference when doing FMQ and pushing and shoving the quilt through my harp. I use a TL2010Q. I didn't have to worry about the layers shifting.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Now the next question is whether the dissolveable thread gums up the washing machine? I know when we use the water solveable stabilizers for embroidery we're to take as much off as possible so not to gum up the pipes. I can't see this little of thread causing issues with the pipes or washing machine.
The amount you would use on a quilt is negligible. That said, my washer has had no problems with it.

You might want to compare your thread with Vanish at the Superior Threads website. I have one of their big spools, and you might have one too. Let us know how it comes out.

pam