Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wow! What a shocker: maintenance >

Wow! What a shocker: maintenance

Wow! What a shocker: maintenance

Old 03-17-2012, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
Hi Bev ~ Janome is such a popular brand I'm almost certain that you will find a group on Yahoo that share information about the MC10001. ...
I could not find a Yahoo group that discusses Janome MC10001 maintenance.

I did find a site that sells information on machine maintenance, but I hesitate paying that much money, when I don't know whether it is worth it. I'm wondering if anyone on this board is familiar with it?
http://www.fixasewingmachine.com/
Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Last time I took my well-functioning Bernina 1230 to the shop for yearly maintenance was well over 12 years ago. At that time the charge was over $100 and I'm not convinced the tech did anything at all to it. I noticed after I got it back that he had not reset the upper tension back to the factory setting (which I had changed in order to do some specialized sewing) in order to test stitches. That's when I decided I would just keep the machine very clean myself and take it in only if it malfunctioned. Well, it hasn't malfunctioned, and I figure that in the 12 years since then I have accummulated at least $1,200 towards a new machine if this one ever gives out. (Note: I do have vintage machines I can use as backup if this one ever gives out.)
I also have a Bernina 1230. Purchased mine used about 12-13 years ago.
I can understand taking a machine in if it has a problem, but I no longer believe in taking it in for cleaning and preventive maintenance. I do clean my machine frequently and well, never allowing lint to build up, and keeping the shuttle race lightly oiled between bobbins. Worth $1,200 to me!!!
I also have a Bernina 1230. I purchased mine about 12-13 years ago. It was used then. Do you know what year this model was made? I'm curious. My is great and runs like it was brand new. Thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
Does anyone know why my machine (I have an old mechanical Viking 630) specifically says NO OIL? What is different the way it is built from machines that require oiling? I have had it since '88 or so, and compared to a lot, it gets used heavily, and has never been oiled.
Thank you, that makes sense
Old 03-17-2012, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf View Post
I just don't get it. All I hear is that whenever one of these machine go to service they need parts. I am sorry it sounds like such a rip off to me. My janome is about 10 years old and has never need a part and all I do is clean it and change the needle. \

How can people afford all these expensive services. Think about what you do in the sewing department. 99% of my sewing is straight sewing...I wouldn't need a fancy machine even tho I have one. I have two old singers that I clean and oil and they are the best for straight sewing. If I needed to purchase a machine I would always buy an old singer anytime.....
I totally agree with you , it does sound like so many are getting ripped of and I also agree about the old Singers there the best out there can't beat em .
Old 03-17-2012, 10:56 PM

I bought my brother for that price 2 years ago and love it. Makes one wonder when a tune up cost as much as a basic machine.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Power Poster

This is the main thing that prevents me purchasing a new "whizz bang" machine. As beautiful as they are, the cost of repairs is frightening.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
Does anyone know why my machine (I have an old mechanical Viking 630) specifically says NO OIL? What is different the way it is built from machines that require oiling? I have had it since '88 or so, and compared to a lot, it gets used heavily, and has never been oiled.
Hi Rugosa and Corie.... I have the Viking Husqvarna 1+ and mine is near or over 20 years old now....I love my machine! I digress....I was told to NEVER oil and indeed the manual says the same....the sintered bearings that Wintersewer talks about is what made the older Viking sewing machines so wonderful .... I've been told by Viking techs the same that sewing machine oil applied by the owner will ruin the machine.

So I guess one should make sure what their particular machines manual says or talk to a qualified maintainance tech before they oil their machines.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:46 AM

Around here taking my machine in for yearly servicing is @120. Add parts to that and it the cost does go up. Money well spent for peace of mind. It is a machine, it needs servicing and to be cared for. Spent too much money on it not to keep it conditioned. And that costs money. I budget this amount so it isn't a surprise every year.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 PM

i just had my machine done at a cost of $250 & some of it was under waranty I also had a back up but really like my Janome New Home
Old 03-22-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
we all need to learn to do more ourselves and this just proves it..wow...that is a years worth of oil changed on my car!
Exactly. Two days ago I had a problem with my machine--I felt surely that it was thread stuck in the tension disks, but they make the machine almost impossible to get to. (Janome Horizon 7700). However... it is under warranty, I believe, but the authorized dealer in Poland is about 4-5 hours away. That's motivation for doing it yourself. I asked my husband to open up the top and he did. After about an hour, a magnifying glass, a flashlight, since we couldn't really get it completely open to fingers, a piece of cardboard about 1/4" wide and a pair of tweezers, I got out the clump of thread that was on the back side of the tension disks, stopping my thread from being grabbed as it went through them! I felt really good when I went to bed. My DH put the machine back together the next day.

But the motive was the cost of shipping it away, plus knowing I couldn't sew if it were not at my house PLUS, I didn't know if I could pull up the receipt in one fell swoop. I figured if I really needed it fixed, I'd just take it to a local place and pay them (and not worry about the guarantee.) Anyway, it is working beautifully again...but I've had to learn not to be so afraid of my machine--learn to take care of it and learn how it works...at least the tension/thread part.