Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wow! What a shocker: maintenance >

Wow! What a shocker: maintenance

Wow! What a shocker: maintenance

Old 03-15-2012, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
When I bought my Bernina in 2006 it came with 1 year warranty from Bernina, but I paid about $260 for 4 additional years of support from the dealer. That covers getting it cleaned and tuned up as often as I want, plus any repairs, including parts. In 2011, when that maintenance agreement expired, I re-upped - 4 more years for the same price. DH thought it was foolish, but I knew better. I clean and oil my machine regularly, but for less than $5.50 per month I have complete peace of mind regarding my sewing machine, and every time we leave home for a few days the machine goes to the shop for a complete cleaning and check-up. Because it's pre-paid, I don't fret about the cost every time. Of course it helps that the shop where I bought the machine has an excellent reputation for service.
Dunster, did you get a BERNINA warranty or a 3rd party? I had a 'brand' offer for extended warranty on a car way back when, and the transmission failed (Chrysler minivan, of course, known defect), I learned that my extended warranty was through a third-party, not mfgr., and gosh they were out of business.

$260 is just over 4 annual maints on my Janome so I think you got a very good deal very smart choice!!! if anything more than that goes wrong. thumbs-up!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:54 PM

I just don't get it. All I hear is that whenever one of these machine go to service they need parts. I am sorry it sounds like such a rip off to me. My janome is about 10 years old and has never need a part and all I do is clean it and change the needle. \

How can people afford all these expensive services. Think about what you do in the sewing department. 99% of my sewing is straight sewing...I wouldn't need a fancy machine even tho I have one. I have two old singers that I clean and oil and they are the best for straight sewing. If I needed to purchase a machine I would always buy an old singer anytime.....
Old 03-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

I took two machines in around here and both had a bur they sanded off and just a list of maintence Things they did, they did a test sewing line. When I got them home they had not cleaned the bobbin area out. I left them dirty to see if they would clean them, I'm not sure they did a thing to them. $89.00 each, I heard a noise that wasn't usual, they couldn't find a noise, 1st thing they do is put in a new needle. I have wised up and put an organ needle in them, what the Mfr. says to only use in them. Decided I would not take them in again unless they stop sewing.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
Yahoo Groups they have very active groups for every make and model of sewing machine it seems. Someone led me to the Viking Group for my make and model. Since my machine is in the 20 year range of age I was amazed how active and more importantly how helpful the group is.

Should you have the Viking 1+ send a PM to me and I will give you a link to the group. Otherwise I'd just search Yahoo Groups for your make and model of sewing machine and they may have a group going. If not I'm sure there are other sites if you do a Google search too.
I have a Janome MC10001 and would like to learn about maintaining it myself. My LQS, at which I purchased the machine, increased their maintenance charges by $25 (from $75 to $100). I'll try to find out more info.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:39 AM

I sometimes dispair when I paid $780 for my repairs and it still wasn't fixed.I stopped paying when they said it would cost another $380....cheaper to have bought a new machine.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:48 AM

Still cheaper to repair, and maintain than buy a new one.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:59 AM

AMEN I had to get my singer fixed. 88$ .But baby is ruuning to great. No pets.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:14 AM

Reading the cost of some of the maintainance fees makes me appreciate where I live and my Bernina dealer. $59.00 for a clean and service. My Bernina 930 has not cost me a penny for anything but servicing for the last 25 years.. Knock on wood. That is probably why you can't find them anywhere to buy. I had my Bernina 440 at a quilt retreat at a church camp out in the boonies. Right after that, it started to act up. The dealer said that low power to the machine is just as bad as a surge, and the computer system had to be replaced. Thank goodness it was under warranty. I learned my lesson. I now have all of my computerized sewing machines plugged into a battery pack serge protecter to maintain an even flow. I even bought an extra one for when I travel with one.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:03 AM

I pay nearly $100 for maintenance on my Bernina 930 and I can tell a huge difference when I get it home. I know that they've done something. It even sounds different. I take it in about every 2 years for a good cleaning and it needs it. I thin anything that can keep that baby running smoothly is money in the bank for me because I NEVER want to replace it!!! I love my little work horse.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by countryone77 View Post
I have a Janome MC10001 and would like to learn about maintaining it myself. My LQS, at which I purchased the machine, increased their maintenance charges by $25 (from $75 to $100). I'll try to find out more info.
Hi Bev ~ Janome is such a popular brand I'm almost certain that you will find a group on Yahoo that share information about the MC10001. I personally don't service my machine my DH does....I look at the schematic and my eyes twirl like a cartoon character and don't even think about what my brain is doing!

Should my machine have issues beyond my DH capabilities to fix or find parts for, there is a reputable repair service man who the Yahoo group swears by in another state. I will pay shipping to send my machine to him for extensive care or repair.

The Viking tech said that my machine the 1+ is a work horse and was made in Sweden with all metal parts before Husqvarna was bought out by another company. It wasn't produced in a sweat shop in China with plastic working parts.

It's really a conundrum isn't it? The computer seems to be the Achilles heel in new machines but it's the computer that makes the machines so user friendly. Right now to replace the mother board in my machine it would cost around $500 and that is far cheaper than trying to replace my machine with one with the same features.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 03-16-2012 at 06:02 AM.