Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
yo you quilting >

yo you quilting

yo you quilting

Old 08-19-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by misseva
b/c i had my left hand in a cast, i bought some prequilted fabric and appliqued yo-yos on a baby quilt. can't imagine our fore-mothers making enough to cover a bed. i used a yo-yo maker that i bought from sewing with nancy
That quilt has totally changed my opinion of yo-yos, lol - it is beautiful! I would love that as a wall-hanging.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:42 PM

yes the yo-yo maker is easy to use - i have the whole set - circles - flowers - hearts - i'm a sucker for new notions. my dtr is going to try to make some to go on a quilt and i have a friend at church that thinks she can do it. (it was her grandbaby that i made the quilt for).
Have you seen the great big Yo yo maker from Clover? It's the size of a salad plate. They have a square one now also. I bought the huge one but the square I left for someone else. LOL
I need to make more regular ones before I buy more makers.
:XD:
Old 08-20-2010, 05:58 AM

yes, i have that one. it's what i used on my quilt. they start out so BIG and end up so small. i used the next to smallest size on the catapillar. they came out approx size of a quarter. i did see the other sizes/shapes in a catalog but it's not as easy to make a 'flower or heart' shape as it is a circle. AND i probably won't be using them all that much in the future.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:42 AM

yes, i have that one. it's what i used on my quilt. they start out so BIG and end up so small. i used the next to smallest size on the catapillar. they came out approx size of a quarter. i did see the other sizes/shapes in a catalog but it's not as easy to make a 'flower or heart' shape as it is a circle. AND i probably won't be using them all that much in the future.
I did purchase two sizes of the heart and all of the circles and the small flower. I don't recommend the heart or flower as they make me want to scream and tear my hair out. LOL
The smallest circle makes a teeny tiny button sized Yoyo. It is sooo cute.. I have not used the ginormous circle yet but I'm thinking that one will eat up alot of fabric fast.
I have a couple of pamphlets that have projects that you can use Yo yo's with.
Your quilt looks Lovely and please if you have made anything else with your Yo yos post pics for us?
Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:45 AM

nothing new yet but as soon as i finish my biscuit quilt which should be soon - i'm starting another quilt for a baby due in december. the book i bought from sewing w/nncy has directions for making animals like lions, elephents & bears, etc. can't wait to see what it will look like.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
yes the yo-yo maker is easy to use - i have the whole set - circles - flowers - hearts - i'm a sucker for new notions. my dtr is going to try to make some to go on a quilt and i have a friend at church that thinks she can do it. (it was her grandbaby that i made the quilt for).
Have you seen the great big Yo yo maker from Clover? It's the size of a salad plate. They have a square one now also. I bought the huge one but the square I left for someone else. LOL
I need to make more regular ones before I buy more makers.
Haven't seen that one! I can never find them at Joann's so I got mine from Connecting Threads. Joann's is always out of them when I'm there :(
Old 08-20-2010, 06:59 AM

b/c i had my left hand in a cast, i bought some prequilted fabric and appliqued yo-yos on a baby quilt. can't imagine our fore-mothers making enough to cover a bed. i used a yo-yo maker that i bought from sewing with nancy
Love your use of the yos misseva.
I just made a bunch using the medium and small and plan on using them as applique flowers with appliqued leaves. No pattern, I am hoping to wing it!
I bought mine at the Missouri Star Quilt Co. when I visited there in March. They should me how to use it and it is fun once you get the hang of it! I did all my yos on a road trip to Wisconsin.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
I did purchase two sizes of the heart and all of the circles and the small flower. I don't recommend the heart or flower as they make me want to scream and tear my hair out. LOL
The smallest circle makes a teeny tiny button sized Yoyo. It is sooo cute.. I have not used the ginormous circle yet but I'm thinking that one will eat up alot of fabric fast.
I have a couple of pamphlets that have projects that you can use Yo yo's with.
Your quilt looks Lovely and please if you have made anything else with your Yo yos post pics for us?
Thanks for sharing.
Where did you get pamphlets on yo yos?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Yo Yo Makers- go to Youtube!!!!!! Their tutes are great!!
I went after I started pulling my hair out with the flower haha
Old 08-20-2010, 07:07 AM

my yo-yos came with instruction sheets in each packet. i can get lots of yos out of a fq. i did make smaller yos to use for leaves but because i kept asking my dtr about my arrangements and changing them a kazilliion times - i just left them off. i did all the feather stitching with 6 strands of embroidery thread b4 i even made the yo-yos. i know 4 sure that the next quilt will NOT have as many yo-yos as the first. besides the next one is for a boy. it's gonna be yo-yo animals.
i'm with you susan, the flowers & hearts are a pain.

FREE Quilting Newsletter