Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are You cutting back your Quilt Mags & Paid Onlines? >
  • Are You cutting back your Quilt Mags & Paid Onlines?

• Are You cutting back your Quilt Mags & Paid Onlines?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:07 PM
    Power Poster

Mags have become too expensive with nothing in them. I rarely get one anymore, and subscribe to only McCall's Quick Quilting. Same for books- at one time my house was so stuffed with books and mags of all kinds that I had a major purge :) I don't miss one thing I donated.
    I love seeing more space and fewer towers lol
    With the internet I can't be bothered. And now that I have a Kindle I can save even more space.
    Old 07-19-2011, 01:12 PM

I do have about three subscriptions to quilting magazines, but only because there were special offers and they were just too cheap to pass up. For example, I got Quiltmaker for only $10.50 as it was a buy one get one free which I split with a friend. When it comes time to renew at the regular subscription price I will not renew. But, I love getting that new quilt magazine in the mail and spending an hour or so going through it and planning new quilts.
    Old 07-19-2011, 01:43 PM

Dropped them all. They're too repetitive.
    You can get more ideas on line anymore and I never use a commercial pattern anyway.
    MK
    Old 07-19-2011, 02:05 PM

I'm not subscribing any longer. I have hundreds of quilting magazines I'm trying to sell and/or give away. I had to have them all at one time, but not now. I also won't be taking any more on=line subscriptions. I would rather look at the real thing then with the computer. There are some magazines that I really enjoy, I just don't need them.
    Old 07-19-2011, 02:27 PM

I am trying to cut back on the magazines myself. I subscribe to Quliters World, Quiltmaker, Quilt, American Patchwork, Quick Quilts, a few more I can't remember. My subcription to Quilters Newsletter ran out a few months ago but they keep tempting me to renew. I use to subscribe to Quilters Club of America but I let that run out this month, now only have the Quilt Show. I don't get a chance to sit and watch the videos as much as I would like to. My plan is to let the subcriptions run out and keep two or three favorites.
    Old 07-19-2011, 02:34 PM

I only subscribe to Quilters World and McCalls and Machine Quilting Unlimited currently. After the QW subscription expires I will not renew, I can go through that in twenty mins and I'm being generous. I like the Quilters Newsletter mag and occasionally buy an issue. Machine Quilting Unlimited will not be renewed again either, I loved the original magazine, it was a great reference for longarm quilters but no longer is.
    FYI Mark Lipinsky is no longer with Fabric Trends. Though I'm not a fan of his, FT was definitely better with him on board.
    I think it's about time for the editors of the quilt magazine put some more beef into their issues instead of the same old same old JIMHO. I'm not alone in this thought as a lot of my quilting friends are cutting waaaay down on subscriptions.
    Old 07-19-2011, 02:42 PM

I used to get several quilting magazines, but now that I am on a limited income, had to cancel all of them. I also look at them on the newsstand sometimes. There is one qulting magazine that gives you patterns on the internet. I can't think of the name of it right now.
    Old 07-19-2011, 02:52 PM

I was cutting back, but now have 2 again and will probably add a third. I enjoy reading them. They often influence me into another direction. Yes, I know there are repeats, but they are magazines after all.

Places to get rid of your old quilting magazines besides trading or selling including benefiting an elderly housing library, hospital waiting rooms, especially rural hospitals, breast cancer centers, clinics where they do infusions. You might also check to see if there are any home ec teachers that have the space to include in their library for students.
    Old 07-19-2011, 03:05 PM

This has been a very interesting thread. Most seem to be downsizing their magazines. Last year, I upgraded. I was depressed going to my mailbox since I never got anything I was happy to receive (just bills and junk mail). I also sat down and realized that I was spending more money getting the magazines at the store than a subscription costs. So I went overboard. I subscribed to Crochet World, Crochet!, Crochet Today, Creative Knitting, Quiltmaker, McCall's (both), American Quilts and Patchwork (whether the BHG magazine is), Better Homes and Gardens, Ladies Home Journal, Family Circle, Smithsonian, Time, Reader's Digest, Interweave Knitting, Interweave Crocheting, Cat Fancy, National Geographic, Archaelogy, Discover, Just CrossStich, and US weekly. I belong to QCA because I get the Joann's VIP card. I will keep that membership as the cost is repaid many times by the savings at Joann's (I just saved $20 recently of my entire order). I will not renew the Interweave publications as they are quarterly and expensive. I am not renewing Time as I am disappointed in how thin a magazine it has become and Us weekly is also gone (I really can't STAND the Kardashians and they were prominately featured). The rest I will renew as they become due. Maybe. I also found that the magazines are repetitive and/or feature simple projects that are cute but not challenging enough for me. I also realize that storage is becoming an issue but, maybe you all can help, how can you part with something if you are not sure you might not need later? If I tried to only save the patterns I will make, I still would have storage issues. So any ideas for a packrat?
    Old 07-19-2011, 03:05 PM

I prefer books over magazines. My quilt library is formidable, and if I made one quilt out of each book, I'd enough quilt patterns to last 50 years after my demise. Magazines are expensive and then they try to tell you what you cannot do with the quilts you make from them. Nice eye candy, but not worth it anymore.
    JMHO