Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are You cutting back your Quilt Mags & Paid Onlines? >
  • Are You cutting back your Quilt Mags & Paid Onlines?

• Are You cutting back your Quilt Mags & Paid Onlines?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:27 PM

Until I read this thread I thought that I was the only one cutting back on magazine subscriptions. I have enough magazines to keep me busy for the rest of my life and then some. I do thumb through the magazines at the store to see if there is something I can't live without, so now, I rarely buy any.
    Old 07-19-2011, 07:21 PM

I will not be renewing any except Fons and Porter, my favorite. Gotta cut back!
    Old 07-19-2011, 07:34 PM

When I left Washington state I gave my friend 3 or 4 big shelves full of quilt magazines. I don't subscribe anymore and will buy one at the store rarely. I find them occasionally at thrift stores. I have many pdf's of patterns I want to try and there are so many great sites with tutorials or free patterns that I just can't justify buying any more. I miss getting a new crispy magazine in the mail though!
    Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 PM

I am cutting back also. I will keep getting Quilters Newsletter, AQS and QuiltLife. I will not renew Fons & Porter when it comes due since they hardly ever have my style of quilt but I feel like I am abandoning an old friend! :shock:
    Old 07-19-2011, 08:59 PM

I am not renewing any of my subscriptions. I find that I sit down and look at each magazine on the day it comes in and then never look at it again. I am going to get rid of the ones I have now. Taking up way too much room.
    Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 PM

Yes I am. I'm addicted to the different, colorful arrangments I see on line and in magazines. Funds got short and I had to make changes. I decided not to renew any thing and maybe every three years, if they release them get a hard back copy of Better Homes & Garden's American Patchwork & Quilting. I have one from 1985 and the newest from 2003? They are great for refresher instructions, and help with traditional quilting. To make sure I keep this promise, after looking longingly at the advertisements for subscriptions to magazines I recieve in the mail, I put them through the multicut shredder. It may take a day to see how I could swing the funds, but they all go.
    Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 AM

A few years ago I was subscribed to several, now it's two and one will go when the subscription runs out. So many free patterns online now that it's a waste of money! lol
    Old 07-20-2011, 02:39 AM

I used to get them all, but am down to just one now. It seems they all have the same things between them all and they are getting a bit too pricey.
    Old 07-20-2011, 02:58 AM

I used to subscribe to many more than I do now. I quit subscribing years ago but recently resubscribed to F&P. I feel that mag has more info and new techiques and different patterns than the rest, although I typically don't make large quilts.

I do pick up certain issues of "Quilts for Kids".

I prefer to pick up a mag and thumb through it, feel the pages, look at the colors, and tear out what I like when I'm done and put it into a folder. I get tired of reading online and am overwhelmed by what is out there.

Having said all that, there are two mags that I would have subscribed to forever, but are now defunct: "The Cloth Doll" and "For the Love of Cross Stitch." sigh...
    Old 07-20-2011, 11:21 AM
    KLO

I don't get any subscriptions anymore but my quilt group members bring in ones they don't want anymore so I do get a few that way. Mostly I get some when I go to local quilt guild shows. They always have boxes of magzines for $0.25 and often lots of books for $1.00 or $2.00. Just bought a number of these about 2 months ago. I usually hit the quild shop first then go to see the quilts.