Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You know the stash might be too large when... >

You know the stash might be too large when...

Old 03-26-2010, 05:48 AM

A couple of weeks ago I clean out my bedroom closet and found all sorts of fabric neatly stored in plastic bags in a plastic box. Well with all the rain in New Englad, my basement flooded for the first time since we moved into our house 26 years ago. Well when unloading the basement - what did I find - Two large rubbermaid tash cans with sealed plastic ziplocks - with fabric - lots of fabric - even some beautiful Pendelton Wool (for that suit I was going to make and never did)

All appears to have survived fine due to taking care when I placed in storage. - however hubby was a little dismayed and announced, that under penalty of death I can not purchase any more fabric. I have enough to quilt for a good long time. ;)
Old 03-26-2010, 06:07 AM

I reluctantly attended a "Scrap Therapy" stash cutting/organizing class last week with two friends. Emphasis on reluctant. It was an epiphany. First, at my age (just sweet sixty) I realized a lot of fabric would be going to the land fill if I don't find a way to use it in my lifetime. Secondly, I bought it to use to begin with so why am I hoarding it for just the "perfect" project?! Isn't that just another name for procrastination?
So, I dug in and started sorting and cutting. Suddenly I feel enthusiastic and on fire. I have worked out a plan of attack and I am boldly going where I have never gone before!
Old 03-26-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Nods. I've recently learned how to go shopping in my closet. So much stuff I don't recall buying - and it tricks me into thinking I got new stuff

The same with me. The only thing is I buy mostly focus fabrics and when I want to make something, I need blenders and backing. Then it's back to the fabric shop again.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:35 AM

You find a nice little shopping bag under the front seat of your car and it contains a yard of the fabric that you just had to have, and the receipt from 6 months ago!
Old 03-26-2010, 06:43 AM
Banned

I'm soon to be 74 and if I live to 100 could not use up my fabric. My will is very straight forward - everything to my son, an only child.
Attached to the will are instructions to him for distribution of fabric, notions, machines tools, etc. and, the names of the 2 quilting friends who are in charge of it. And, I will come back as a poltergeist to torment him if he enters my quilting room w/o one of them.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Banned

Earlier I mentioned Lunn Fabrics no longer selling directly. They design solely now for Kaufman.
They are selling packs for $32+s/h.
I ordered random pieces, any color. My friend ordered only 1 yd or 1/2 yd pieces, any color. They fit together in a $9. USPS box.
They are gorgeous: hand painted and batiks.
If anyone's interested Call 740-654-2202. The proceeds are going to a foundation they've set up in Indonesia, where their fabric is made.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
It's good to know that other mothers did this too. With mine it was salmon patties. I hated her salmon patties and refused to eat them. Once, and only once I made the mistake of laying some change on the table and saying, "Mail mine to them." I thought it was pretty funny and after a day or two when the swelling went down I could actually laugh about it. LOL Mom was a wonderful person but she just didn't take well to back talk or a sassy mouth.
Mine didn't like to be sassed either. I picked myself up off the floor only once, and after that she didn't hear my thoughts. I well remember sitting at the table until bedtime cause I wouldn't eat the cauliflower!!

YTQ
I know what you mean. That Mail Mine to Them was barely out of my mouth when the back of her hand connected. I was across the room with my back against the cabinets, my shoulders on the floor, one foot on the stove and one in the sink and I was still laughing. She asked what I thought was so funny and I told her that I knew she would backhand me but I just couldn't help myself. I had to do it anyway. I will say this, from that day on when Mom passed the salmon patties to me I still passed them on without taking one but she never said a word.
Are we sisters? I still don't sass my Mother, even over the phone. :lol:
Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119
Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
It's good to know that other mothers did this too. With mine it was salmon patties. I hated her salmon patties and refused to eat them. Once, and only once I made the mistake of laying some change on the table and saying, "Mail mine to them." I thought it was pretty funny and after a day or two when the swelling went down I could actually laugh about it. LOL Mom was a wonderful person but she just didn't take well to back talk or a sassy mouth.
Mine didn't like to be sassed either. I picked myself up off the floor only once, and after that she didn't hear my thoughts. I well remember sitting at the table until bedtime cause I wouldn't eat the cauliflower!!

YTQ
For me, it was liver and onions. It was bad enough when it was still warm but sooooooooo much worse when it was cold!! My kids have never tasted it!!!
For me, it was burned chicken pot pie made by my dad. Refused to eat it, sat at table til bedtime and mom wanted me to go to bed,. Dad said I'd sit there until I ate it. So I slept at the dinner table and was supposed to eat it for breakfast but luckily I had school. Pot pie was gone when I got home from school but Dad tanned my hide good for wasting food. Still cannot eat pot pie, burned or otherwise.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Fox

I LOVE this site! I've been giggling over raptureready's memories and remembering my own; Mary 119 I haven't easten liver since I was 12--(I had taken over the cooking by then!) but that texture and taste still live on. I love this place.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:31 AM

we need a new thread so more can join in. I'm on my way!!