Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a scrapper? >

Are you a scrapper?

Are you a scrapper?

Old 05-17-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Scrappy all the way!!
Love your Avatar. It looks like very well preplanned scraps.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:06 AM

I'm more of a planner. Currently I have 2 30 gallon trash bags full of scraps. All sizes from 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 square on up. I'm sure I'll get around to doing something with them, as soon as I get some of these other yardages cut and used.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:14 AM

I love scrappy quilts and non-scrappy too. I have loads and loads of scraps for making string quilts, crumb blocks and fabric postcards.

Currently I'm making my first scrappy 4 patch using Billie Lauder's Ultimate scrappy 4 patch technique. Fun Fun. but have to admit when I look at the individual blocks I think uggggg but when they get put altogether, they start to look much better.

I've seen some gorgeous beautiful scrappy quilts and wonder ... was that coordinated cuz it looks so good, or was it really assembled by just pulling fabrics out of a bag.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:36 AM

I am a planner but am working on my first scrappy quilt. A friend and I went to a trunk show and lecture by Bonnie Hunter. Then the next day a class. She is wonderful. You can find out when she might be close to you with a class by going to quiltville.com and checking her schedule. She was at a town about 2 hours away so we spent two nights at a bed and breakfast rather than having to rush from home early in the morning. One of the best trips I ever had and I think I will enjoy being a scrapper after this.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 AM

I wish I could be more of a scrappy person. I sort of tried one time. I saw a baby quilt in the nursery at our church that one of the ladies had made. I borrowed it for a little while to get some ideas, but I found myself trying to do it exactly like she did. I just could not bring myself to sew random colors and pieces together. I don't know why.
I am the same way with FMQ and meandering. The same lady that made the quilt tried to tell me "Oh it's easy, you just go back and forth basically how ever you want." That just frustrates me. I have to be able to say "ok, you go from point A to point B to point C, etc."
Maybe someday I'll get there! :)
Old 05-17-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
I would be more of a scrappy quilter if I had my scraps organized!!
Go to quiltville.com and learn how to organize your scraps from Bonnie Hunter. I am a great fan.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 AM

I am a preplanner :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-17-2011, 08:56 AM

I am both...or perhaps a scrapper in the making? Due to our one income finances, I've only ever been able to purchase the few fabrics needed for my projects. When I first started, I made a lot of errors in cutting, so I made sure to buy 1/2 yard more or so than what I needed to accommodate this error. As the years passed, I made fewer mistakes and now have a bit of stash going, but not enough for a scrappy quilt yet. Still working on it.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:22 AM

Up to now, I've done only planned, coordinated quilts. Now, however, I'm working on a scrappy and having a blast! A couple of times I joined the Keepsake Quilting "club" several years ago and received two small boxes of ona and a half inch pieces of all their fabrics for the year. I recently started pulling those out and sewing them into 10 piece strips. I have a plan for using those as a center panel of a wallhanging, with a wide border on which I will applique a vine with scrappy flowers around two corners, with perhaps small (5 x 5) pieced blocks in each of the other two corners.
That being said, I have ideas for several other wallhangings and throws in my head, some of which will be planned and some of which will be scrappy. Gotta love the flexibility of quilting! Love 'em all, but am a traditionalis as far as patterns and blocks go.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:42 AM

Finances dictated I buy inexpensive fabric when I first started quilting, but I was able to find enough to make quilts that look less scrappy. I am also sewing fabric to adding machine tape and strips and strings, but haven't put together a quilt, yet, still experimenting. Playing with coffee filter also. Have a ton of strips 2 1/2, 3, 3 1/2...really need to pull my strips out and make a quilt top with them. It's kind of mindless to sit in front of the TV on the floor and cut strips!