Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your backings:  Plain White or Coordinated Color? >

Your backings: Plain White or Coordinated Color?

Your backings: Plain White or Coordinated Color?

Old 01-25-2010, 06:16 AM

I used marbled blenders from Nixie Chicks or Marshall Dry Goods, it comes in 108 in widths and coordinates with the front. I buy them for $6.00 per yard or less (only need 3) for my queen sized quilts.

I bought one muslin back but I haven't used it yet. I don't believe it was much less.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:22 AM

depending on the purpose and how much money i have. lol

I love to use tea dyed muslin, but i can't get it wide locally.

i use color cordinated for baby quilts..
Old 01-25-2010, 06:24 AM

Sometimes I like to do a "surprise" on the back...a totally different fabric. It's usually pretty fun to do for a children's quilt. Not matchy at all!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:56 AM

Many times I coordinate or actully do something on the back just the opposite of the front to make it more interesting. But I am a hand quilter. If I really want to emphasize the quilting I use musling, not usually plain white unless it is an applique, but plain muslin.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:30 PM

When I started quilting 35 years ago, white and off white were the only colors you could buy that were wide enough for a quilt back. The older lady who taught me had always used white or off white for her backings so I followed her lead It's just been in the last 6 years or so that I have been using something colored that coordinates with the front and it sure adds pizazz to the quilt.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 PM

I've used muslin or white on white for wall hangings. For quilts, I like something that coordinates in color with the front - just because it's pretty! I shop around and usually get less expensive fabric for the backing in similar quality to the front. If I take my time, I can find pretty, name brand fabric for about what the good muslin costs.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:16 PM

My backs, always match the front.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:37 PM

I use mostly cream colored with white or very light pattern on it. I then quilt with a matching thread in my bobbin, and my stitching mistakes don't show. It is just enough color not to be "white", and it goes with just about everything. If the front of the quilt has a lot of white, then I use tone on tone white. Same theory.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:51 AM

Hi Eddie,

Dudes that quilt, rock!

Seriously though, I like to "use my colors" when choosing the binding and backing for a quilt. I certainly understand keeping it economical by using the large (or not) plain muslin. I have used it a couple of times and try to match thread density so it will wear close to the same rate as the rest of the quilt. I am no expert, but I can see that some of the muslin is thin and furry-fuzzy which makes me worry it won''t take too many washings in a machine.

There are a few books out there which illustrate ideas in pieced backs! A good and creative way to get around not having or finding just the right cloth for a project back.

Helps use up any scraps from the project too, as if a scraps storage crate could ever become too full!

signed,

"Another dude that pieces and is trying to learn to quilt."
Old 01-26-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
When I hand quilt I use plain white for the backing. Since I'm still learning machine quilting I use some type of print--it hides a multitude of mistakes!! LOL
Amen! You took the words right out of my mouth!