Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your backings:  Plain White or Coordinated Color? >

Your backings: Plain White or Coordinated Color?

Your backings: Plain White or Coordinated Color?

Old 01-27-2010, 05:08 PM

Wow, it's so interesting to read all the different ideas about backings. Makes me think about them in different ways now. :)
Old 01-27-2010, 06:05 PM

Here's my grandson's quilt I made him for Christmas. The back is pieced with the leftovers.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-66004.jpe   attachment-66005.jpe  
Old 01-28-2010, 05:56 AM

"I made a mistake one time. Used a deffinate ugly on the back of a wall hanging for just me. Hand quilted as it was an antique block I found at a rummage sale. Ended up liking it and entered it in the county fair. Bad idea. The judge did not like the ugly on the back."

I think it stinks that your choice of backing is juged, unless maybe it is a "World Class" show, and the prizes are in the thousands of dollars. Just my opinion.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:23 PM

For years I used a white backing, but there was usually white used in the front. I like printed backs because I do a lot of hand quilting and prints are more forgiving; they also make the quilt more interesting. If you have to piece a back, printed fabric will not show the seam.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:53 PM

I use busy paisleys so it hides my stitching! :P
Old 01-29-2010, 05:49 PM

Eddie, I have made several quilts with muslin or white backing , they were hand quilted , They are as pretty on the back as they are on the front, Take a good loook at the next quilt show, Ask a white Glover to show you all of the back, you will be impressed :thumbup:
Old 01-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

I have used all kinds for the backing, white on white,off white on offwhite,matching a color in the front,wide backing fabric,a totally different color all together from the front, sometimes same color as the front sometimes whatever it takes to cover the back. Not a big deal to me. I've never entered a quilt show and never plan to. Once I made sis-in-law a tied comforter with a print, medium green, tiny blue flowers,and white daiseys,yellow flowers, backing matched the green on the front, she told me she liked the green side the best. I could have passed out. I thought the print on the front was so bright and happy looking. My Daughter told her the green was the back. She was sorry.
Use to be, back years ago muslin was all that was used for the backing, usually unbleached.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:26 PM

I have entered 3 quilts in the Mohave Co Fair in Arizona , won 2 blue ribbons, but the third one had a mishap, I sent in my entry by mail and they could not find it so it was not judged, My husband loves it , the quilt is a large king size for our bed, tans , reds, tourquoise and browns, The others are 30's and 50's materials, I just won peoples second choice at our local quilt show here in Lake Havasu, I have had no lessons and do not take anything local, I just plod along by myself and do what ever I think is right, but I have a friend that takes classes and all that , has her own big sewing room with several really nice sewing machinesI, I have a new sewing machine and sew in the kitchen, dining room area, feel like I need to give her some competition at the fair and the quilt show, :mrgreen:
Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 PM
Power Poster

I coordinate my backs to my fronts. I like to use fabric with a print on the back. I just like the way it looks.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:36 PM

I always use a matching fabric for the backs,and the only time I have seen awhite or cream colored back is when it also matches thee front