Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your best quilting related garage sale or market find--

I love those kind of sales. I went to one like that except it was a mennonite church sale in Pennsylavania last year. It was great!

I bought a Singer 5530 at an estate sale for $1.00. Minus the power cord and bobbin case. Have been trying to find a cord with foot pedal, bobbin case and flat bed to make the open arm into a flatbed.

I went to a sale with fabric and quilt supply's . had all sorts of things to explore, and got to talking to the lady and found she was moving to a smaller place and had a Nolting longarm that would not fit the new place and she wanted to know if I was interested. I said I would look at it, it was on a 14 ft. table and she had years of patterns and other things that went with it.
    I took it home for $500 ; sewing machine and table and patterns and box of bobbins and other goodies.. It needed some adjusting the next year and the repair guy said I could sell it for $2000, I said thanks and took it home, happy about my find..

My best find ever, a 1886 treadle machine all orginal, complete with everything. curved drawers and wrought iron. Oh I love that machine, worked great too! $10 bucks, had it for about 10 yrs and hubby was tired of moving it around our victorian house so we sold it when we moved. Regret that! I have found new bags of batting for $1.00, fabrics of totes for a few bucks. Still think I will find a feathreweight sometime, it is waiting for me, I just know it, then maybe I will get over selling my treadle, what was I thinking!

Last week i got a janome in a horn cabinet for $5 . And During the summer my husband bought me a singer for 50 cents its was probably a machine from the 90"s all was wrong was the set screw from the hand wheel had loosened and fallen inside...they both probably have less than an hour of sewing on them...mint condition. He always looks for deals to try to out do me , thank goodness its sewing stuff he usually buys for me.

Quilting fabric for 25 cents a yard. Went home with a cardboard box full for $7.00 and I am a beginner. so that helped me build a stash......

Quote Originally Posted by sewgirls
    what is a featherweight i know i sound dumb i
    Here is a featherweight and the $5 table I found at a HS band fund raiser. The table is missing the insert, but its not necessary when the machine is in the table.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719RMiKSl

Sharon W.

Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    The last "yard" sale I attended was put on by my guild. I got every kind and brand of rotary rulers for 50c each. Patterns, the expensive ones for quilts, at 5 for a dollar. Most never used. Fat quarters and fabric for practically nothing. I came home with two big shopping bags full after spending only about $15.00.
    The sale was for the guild's coffers, so no one felt the need to charge a whole lot for their stuff. They mostly just wanted to get rid of it, and get it into the hands of fellow quilters. 8-)
    My guild has a "yard sale" every other year. Its great! You can sell stuff and acquire more stuff. lol

I used to sell new machines at a store and one of my customers had bought a new machine and gave my her old Necchi 535. She said it was broken, fortunately I work on Featherweights and I figured out pretty quickly that all the problems were operator error. #1 She was using the wrong bobbin class 66, rather than class 15. #2 There was at least a whole spool of thread wrapped around the inside of the handwheel. #3 It hadn't been cleaned or oiled in who knows how long.
    Once I fixed all those things it sewed like a new machine!
    I gave it to a friend of my DD's and he's thrilled to have a machine that sews properly. He'd gone through 2 really cheap Singers trying to make costumes.
    Sharon W.

More to the point - where did he obtain them if he was happy to make a profit at $45???

I guess it is all relative: I saved $4,000.00 for a Brother sewing machine that I wanted and when I went in to buy it, they were promoting the new model and 'my' machine was half price with an extra quilting table thrown in. I happily paid the cheaper price and had a bit of play/walking around money as well.

About 5 years ago I went to a garage sale of an old lady who was going into an old peoples home. She had two rooms full of fabric. I could see her heart was breaking to part with her life long stash. I bought the lot, I can't remember how much exactly, but it would not have been more than $100. It took me 3 trips to get it all back to my place - and that was with a full boot, back seat and passengers seat. It then took me 9 solid hours to sort through it, what I was going to keep, what wasnt worth keeping and what I was going to sell on e-bay.

And that :lol: is how I financed my 2007 trip to Europe.

That is a great story!!

My best find was at a local senior center rummage sale. MIL told me about an old machine there but it was gone before the sale started, we looked around and when we went to leave outside the building a stack of card tables with the one on top was for a featherweight. Got it for $7.50 sooooooooooooo excited when a repo sales for around $249.

Blog Entries
    I got a large wooden quilt rack at St. Vincent DePaul for $10.

Quote Originally Posted by ppquilter
    My best find was at a local senior center rummage sale. MIL told me about an old machine there but it was gone before the sale started, we looked around and when we went to leave outside the building a stack of card tables with the one on top was for a featherweight. Got it for $7.50 sooooooooooooo excited when a repo sales for around $249.
    I bought one of the poorly made repro tables made in China; for $150, not worth $30 let alone the price I paid.
    It looked good...however the legs were wobbly and the machine hole had to be sanded down a bit so that the machine would fit right. It later became the donor for 2 leg springs and the insert for the $5 FW table that I bought later on.

My very best buy was a Singer Featherweight the light green one at Goodwill for $7.95. The best part is I was only there because of my Mom and I found it just as it was being put out.
    So I owe my Featherweight to my mom who has since passed away.
    My other find was a Singer 301 - big Sister to the Featherweight for $9.99 at Visiting Nurses then a card table to go with it at a church rummage sale for $2.00!

Wow! what a dream, hope you enjoy using your longarm

I found two sewings machine's for 20.00 each computer viking 950s and a kenmore electric love them both. Also found olfa cutter blades 5 cents a piece bought 15. elise

WOW! I am impressed! You are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    My best buy at garage sale was a featherweight for $45. The guy selling it was forever wheeling and dealing and selling "stuff" at fairly frequently held garage sales. He was always bragging about the $ he was collecting but he obviously knew nothing about featherweights. I cheerfully forked over the cash and didn't let on how thrilled I was. The funniest part was about three months later, he phoned me about buying another featherweight at $45. I snapped up that one too. Now both my daughters have a featherweight and my oldest is cranking out "snoods" for her Cavalier dogs (my avatar Molly is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) to keep those long ears out of doggie dinners.

Oh my goodness I can only hope to find a featherweight! I did find this material today and I didn't even go the garage sale, a friend did and brought it to me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My husband found a Featherweight in perfect condition. I had only seen one before. He found it in a bin of stuff at the Goodwill warehouse. I ask the clerk what the price was and she said "I have to have $24.99". I grabbed it went to the check out and the clerk wanted to know what it was and I told her an old sewing machine and that the lady in back quoted me $24.99, she said "I don't think so". I got worried but she called the lady in back and when she hung up the phone , she said "I still think that is to much"!!!! Since then I have purchased about 25 of them, refurbished and resold. I have one that I repainted a metalic blue. It is beautiful. I also bought a 301a in a cabinet at another thrift store for $15.00.

I am dubbing you the Featherweight Queen of the board...!!

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    My husband found a Featherweight in perfect condition. I had only seen one before. He found it in a bin of stuff at the Goodwill warehouse. I ask the clerk what the price was and she said "I have to have $24.99". I grabbed it went to the check out and the clerk wanted to know what it was and I told her an old sewing machine and that the lady in back quoted me $24.99, she said "I don't think so". I got worried but she called the lady in back and when she hung up the phone , she said "I still think that is to much"!!!! Since then I have purchased about 25 of them, refurbished and resold. I have one that I repainted a metalic blue. It is beautiful. I also bought a 301a in a cabinet at another thrift store for $15.00.
    Featherweight, I want one so bad that I can taste it. The few times I have found one they always know what it is and then add on more for the "Gold Plating". If you come upon any others I hope you will let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by CAJAMK
    I am dubbing you the Featherweight Queen of the board...!!
    We used to have a Featherweight club at the LQS. I taught for them, showed them how to take care of them and sold the ladies most of the machines. The gals always called my Featherweight "The Queen Mother" as it was the best one of all. (for 25.00). :thumbup:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast