Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your honest opinions on batting >

Your honest opinions on batting

Your honest opinions on batting

Old 01-14-2012, 11:17 AM

I use Hobbs 80/20 for larger quilts,and Warm and Natural for smaller items.I have used Pellon fleeece for Christmas stockings,table runners,place mats etc.I buy it mostly at Joann`s when it is on sale or I have a coupon.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:00 PM

I only use wool batting. I usually try to get it on sale. I haven't made a anything bigger that a lap quilt & I usually buy a king size package so that I can use it in several smaller quilts. The wool is great for hand quilting & machine quilting. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer, needles wonderfully, & shrinks the right amount to make my quilts look crinkly. I'm not particular about brands because they all quilt the same & after they are quilted, washed & dried they all feel the same.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:58 PM

I use Warm and White or Natural for some quilts and Hobbs 80/20 for others (fusible and not). I just bought some polydown because of some folks on the forum, but I have not tried it yet.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:52 PM

My favorite is the 80% cotton 20 % polyester from Walmart as my quilter told me Warm and Natural puckers and her machine WON'T do it no matter how she tries. She can use the Walmart but NOT the one sold at Joann Fabric's. I have NO clue what her batting is but I like it too...so I plan to use her's on my next quilt.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 PM

I use Warm and Natural batting in my quilts. I have not tried the Pellon /Legacy batting but, when I compared it to W&N I did not like the way that the Pellon product felt.
I do however use Pellon interfacing all of the time. For hand bags not quilts I use the Pellon fusible fleece, and have been very happy with the results.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:41 AM

Hobbs wool and Quilters Dream Wool
Old 02-16-2012, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by darlenec View Post
I would like to invite y'all to post your honest opinions - pro & con - on the batting that you use. I do sell batting, that is a given. Please name the brand and type [fiber content & manufacutring method; needle punched, needled onto scrim, resin bonded, thermal bonded...] and why you like it. And if you have had a bad experience, share why it was negative.

I hope that we can all learn from your comments. Pellon/Legacy is always trying to improve products that we all use in our work. Please talk about any brand and type and tell us all what sort of work you do; hand quilting, long arm, etc. New quilters to the highly experienced can learn from your input.

You can have input into the products that you use in your quilts.

Darlene Christopherson
Did you get enough info from us? If so what was the results?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:12 PM

I just opened a package of Hobbs Thermore - it is soooo thin! I guess it would be nice for hand quilting, but I am going to double it for a table runner and keep the rest for wall hangings or clothing. It is poly and non-bearding according to the package.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 PM

Thumbs up

Quilter Dream Battings get my vote. Especially their wool batting and the Dream Orient a great blend of bamboo, silk, botanic tencel (eucalyptus) and cotton. It has to be felt to be truly appreciated. My daughter in California says its warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:36 AM

I am a long armer and use almost exclusively Warm and Natural or Warm and White. I have used Hobbs wool (loved it, too warm for me but wonderful for DD who is stationed in South Dakota!), the green recycled bottle batt (soft, nice, have not seen it much in my area) and Hobbs Poly Down (loved it, going to use it as my go to for charity and kids quilts, a bit puffier and shows off the quilting better). Just bought a package of Quilters Dream Poly in the mid loft. Was kinda disappointed it was so flat. I guess I got it mixed up with the Poly Down.