Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion please

Since Lancaster is in Amish/Mennonite county do you think that this may be an Amsh quilt "rule"?

Huh never heard of that one! I do whatever floats my boat ;-)

Haven't heard that one...I have heard about the dash of turquoise to lift a scrappy...but that's about it. When it comes to colour/pattern I am a bit of a renegade....the only "rules" of quilting I follow are more along the construction/pressing/putting together stuff. It's all about tone/value really....black or white could be a detrimental addition to some quilts.

I think every quilt should have some orange for a little zing. LOL Use what you like. I am not big on white and so so on black.
    Anna Quilts

I think you can use any color you like in a quilt and leave out those colors you don't want to use. After all, your the one making it.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm sure there is no "rule" about this, and many, many quilts are gorgeous without b or w. Someone told me once to throw in yellow to make the other colors pop. I do whatever "feels" right for each quilt. I have found, however, that sometimes a narrow black inner border can make a good quilt look even better.
    Create with joy in your heart!

QM
    I also use black and white, but not on all quilts. IMHO, quilts look better if they have a variety of tones. My teacher said to plan on light bright and dark. I am not fond of quilts that are all beige and white, but that is my opinion.

I would never use that as a "hard and fast" rule.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

I agree wholeheartedly with ptquilts. Nothing frustrates me more than silly rules. Quilt is creative expression, not you must include....

I've never heard of that. I go with what looks good to me, sometimes that means some black and/or white, other times none at all.
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

I have never heard of this "rule" either. I think we have agreed that the "rules" can be confining and should not followed blindly in quilting. Part of the appeal of this world is the expression of our ideas. IMHO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gramacheri View Post
    I have heard that every quilt should have some black and white in the quilt (for contrast or interest.) Have you ever heard of this idea and what do you think about it?
    I think it will depend on the fabric your using. I know when I was first quilting (back in the stone age), I didn't have a lot of contrast in my quilts. So yes a little black or white gave it some POP! But now that I've been doing it for so long (in dog years), I'm able to use my fabric and colors better for that POP!!! You know this is QUILTING and as quilters we each make up our own rules. Good luck

I had never heard that one before. I have heard the every quilt needs a little yellow and although I really like yellow, I don't follow that either. Just do whatever pleases my eye

Each quilt is different, and everyone likes different colors. As long as you have contrast in the quilt it doesn't matter what the colors are.

Blog Entries
    Don't know who dreamed up that one. Ignore it. If you are making the quilt it is yours to use what you like.

Power Poster
    The only 'rules' that I think should be followed:

That the color choices look good to the maker and are appropriate for the purpose.

I've heard the black & white one, bits of yellow one, and bits of red one....... I think it's quilt police......

I say make quilts in the colors that YOU choose, and make you happy! Do what your heart desires~~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

When they say black and white they may be referring to value. Value is the degree of light or dark to a color. All quilts are improved with value changes. Light, Med, Dark and everything in between. The value scale has 10 steps from black to white. For ideas look at the paint isle in your local stores, each color that they show they then have at least 6 different values of that same color. When ever value changes are added to a color scheme in a quilt they go from nice to WOW. I challenge you to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I don't pay attention when the rules committee starts saying "All quilts should have....." or "you should never..."
    When the quilt police start paying for your fabric, supplies, talents and time, they can dictate what does or does not go into your quilts. 'til then, .......
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

I figure it's my quilt and I will put what fabrics and colors I want to put in it. Don't pay a bit of attention to the QP!

You want contrast, but it does not have to be black or white. I have a quilt right now that is various shades of rust/reds with a offwhite/ecru as the contrast. And even the contrast depends on what you want to achieve with your design. My quilt has a star in the center, and is made up of mostly half square triangles...I want a lot of contrast.
    If I were doing a quilt that was a landscape, or art quilt depending on various shades of color (think going from sky to water to grass)...then I'd want a very minute change of color, and not a lot of contrast.

There are as many ways to make a quilt, as there are quilter's out there...do what pleases you.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot automated quilter
    http://www.Lmcampbel.com

Heard that Log Cabin center block should be red, but that's another rule to be bent. Do what you like and let others have something to complain about .

Bologna-- I make quilts to please me. This is why I don't join any groups, guilds or swap or try to sell quilts. I don't want anyone's opinion or ideas for my quilts. I'm hard enough on myself, don't need any help.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Another silly rule to be broken

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    I don't agree, there are many quilts with no black or white that are just beautiful
    My thoughts exactly. Just question, though.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast