Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Your opinion please

Who made that "rule"??? I have never heard of it.
    Sharon

Never heard such a thing. Sounds like Quilt Police material to me - use what you like!
    Shannon

Blog Entries
    Never heard that ~ but I do see many fabrics {pastels/dresden plate for example} with white background. Also bright colors with solid black which are also very nice. Guess it depends on your other fabrics & pattern

There are no rules. Quilting is anarchy.
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

I always border my quilt centers with a thin strip of black or white, depending on the fabrics in the center design. I feel it "frames" the quilt center, setting it off. I have used other colors, but always make sure there is a good contrast - just like a picture frame.
    To QUILT is human.
    To FINISH is divine.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...4369F3FA17.png

Blog Entries
    No, thank you on trying to include b/w, but I do like a little yellow in every quilt. Everyone needs sunshine in their life.

Yeh! Yeh! I've heard those rules too. Like every quilt should have yellow. Or red. If you followed all these rules everyone's quilt would look the same. If we were meant to have a quilt with this or that color, God wouldn't have given us such a rich variety of colors and fabrics!

well - add another to the "i haven't heard that" either. I wouldn't do it because black and white is not a favorite combination of mine. I am working on a race car quilt for a little boy and can't wait to finish it because I don't find it fun to work on.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Rules are made to be broken - yet, I've never heard that rule before! Go with what appeals to you.

Blog Entries
    I never heard of this one.At my house the rule is stay away from these 2 as much as possible...Seeing as how I have 2 cats and 3 dogs I tend to keep away from anything black.And there is something about white that just seems to call out to be tea stained even from 3 rooms away.

I've never heard that about the black and white. I use whatever colors I think work best for the quilt I am working on.

Any statements that include "always", "never", "must", "only", "have to", "should", must be taken with a grain of salt. Nothing is absolute when it comes to making quilts. That is why there are so many beautiful and creative quilts out there.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I don't pay attention when the rules committee starts saying "All quilts should have....." or "you should never..."
    What you want to use in a quilt is the only "right" there is in quilt making. That is probably the "only rule" that applies in making a quilt!

I was told when I first started learning to quilt to try to incorporate a touch of black into each quilt to make the other colors pop. It's not always practical, though, so I apply the advice when I can and don't lose sleep over the other times when I can't.
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I don't pay attention when the rules committee starts saying "All quilts should have....." or "you should never..."
    I go by "MY QUILT - MY RULES"! I don't even use a color wheel. I look at what I am going to do, pick out the colors I am going to use and away I go! Haven't had a problem yet, have never done, NEVER, a quilt that I didn't love, regardless of whether I donated it, gave it as a gift or kept it for us. I do it the way I want to do it and that is when they turn out the best; your heart is in it, your soul put it together and I have done quilts, not black and white primarily (only because I am not keen on a black and white quilt), but people are and they make them beautiful. I can appreciate a black and white quilt because I know the quilter has her heart and soul in it! I ramble!!!!!!!!

You do what you feel in your heart and soul. Actually, I am cutting out squares right now to make the backing on a quilt - They are 5-1/2" square and I am doing them in pink, yellow, blue, green and violet - both dark and light. I separate the dark from the light, cut them out, put the dark in one bag, the light in another bag, shake the heck out of the bag, and pull a dark one from the bag, and a light one from the bag and proceed to sew them together. My mom taught me that! Turns out really neat!!!!!! Have done that a couple of times now and it is a great stash user-upper! Have a great day. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Hmmmmm, and I always heard that every quilt should have some red in it. Guess it depends on who you talk to. I think it's just that every quilt should have enough color and contrast to make it interesting.

Blog Entries
    I've never heard of this, but now that I have it hasn't changed my reply. A big no! Can't justify the overall look of a quilt to accommodate this.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

No way!! I just use what I like!! Sometimes there is black or white but that's rare in my quilts

Quote Originally Posted by gramacheri View Post
    I have heard that every quilt should have some black and white in the quilt (for contrast or interest.) Have you ever heard of this idea and what do you think about it?
    I don't follow rules!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

The only person that told me that was my great grandmother. She made beautiful quilts, and didn't do many scrappys that I can remember. She was born in the 1880's so I think this was an old rule. She also is the one who told me that rules were made to be broken.

Never heard that one! I just use what I like........
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3