Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2014 Birthday Swap 2.5  sign up now  !!!! >

2014 Birthday Swap 2.5 sign up now !!!!

2014 Birthday Swap 2.5 sign up now !!!!

Old 12-22-2014, 08:57 AM

This was my first year participating; and I have mailed out all my candies each month this year.
As a newbie to quilting I would love to participate in this swap again next year.

Happy Holidays everyone -- you are a great group
bjsmith57
Old 12-22-2014, 11:05 AM

This has been an awesome experience! I am working on the three quilt tops I've put together with my birthday squares, and I still have a few squares left over! Although I have thoroughly enjoyed it, I think I should not do this again next year. I have to finish some other quilts, and I took a great break from them for the temporary 2 1/2" square addiction! I'll see you all around as I'm planning to do some smaller swaps.

Happy Holidays to all of you,
mrshalibut
Old 12-22-2014, 11:27 AM

Storing Charms Response:
Large USPS boxes or deep sweater boxes lined with white tissue paper and cardboard separators and color code charms before storing in the box. Charms can be double stacked to save space. Mark the box with each size to find what is needed for current project - collecting for a color wash and various leaders & enders. It is easy to visually see approximately how many you have in a certain color. PSQs no longer have too many charms of one color in a corner unless you just want it that way!
hugs,
dj
Old 12-22-2014, 07:56 PM

Thanks DJ for the charm storage idea.

My charms are really the only thing that I have organized. I have tower of containers (they come 2 in a package but you can add more containers). Every once in awhile I will sort some of the packages I get into these containers. I have a container for each color. When the containers get filled up then I sew. This does help when I am working on a project.

When I cut my 2.5 squares out for a swap I have a larger container that has 17 divided cubby holes I then as I cut sort them out so every square is different.

OKAY what I need is ideas of what to do with fabric that is 1/4 yard and larger. do you pile them up by color or by size. And where do you pile them up???? I am trying to use my stash and not go out shopping as often. Plus i have had many quilters give me their scraps. they go into a basket till I can cut if they are small pieces but some are 1/4 and larger.

feeling a litter overwhelmed
Barb
Old 12-22-2014, 07:59 PM

We have a winner....Jannie!

here are the answers for all of you:

Here are my answers:
1. Star of Bethlehem
2. The Wishing Star
3. Church Windows
4. Heavenly Stars
5. On a Clear Night

thanks for playing the game.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:25 PM

Oh, I can't believe it. I won again. Thanks Barb for all the fun quizes.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:04 AM

OK Following the new rule for next year..... HI everyone! ........I would like to participate again. I am still in love with these little squares and keep finding more and more ways to use them. My guild now expects every quilt to be made with these little sweet treats!!.

I hope you gals like pink because my pink bin is running over!

Merry Christmas to you all.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:12 AM

I
Originally Posted by barbarakibler23 View Post
well I am getting my house ready for the holidays and company. I am wondering how everyone organizes their fabric????

Looking for ideas and pictures would be great.
I have organized by color in large clear plastic totes. I just started a new on for novelty fabrics. I know, plastic isn't the best choice but I do not have a place to put my fabric where it will be safe from sunlight, summer humidity and so on. I am in and out of my totes, please don't ask how many, frequently so they do get some "air".

Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Brown, Red, black/white prints, turquoise, white/muslin, purple, Christmas/Hanukkah prints, baby prints, flannel child, flannel misc, large cuts for backing 6 plus yards, then several smaller for specialty cuts and bias binding ends. I could go on but you get the picture.

Waiting to see how others organize.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Hi all... I wrap my pieces that are 1/2- 2 yards on comic book backing boards and stand them like books on a bookshelf unit I have just for fabric. Anything bigger than 2 yards I "ruler fold" and then stack them on their own shelf. For pieces smaller than 1/2 yard, I just fold them and stack them. I group my fabrics by 1) batiks, 2) children's, 3) 30's repros, 4)designer collections, 5)florals, etc... you can group any way you like. Within those groupings I sort by color.

I have to have all fabrics out where I can constantly see them or I forget what I have. It doesn't work for me to put them in drawers or even see-through boxes.

I'm still pondering whether I want to continue in this swap another year. It's been fun but I'm a little discouraged by those who have not followed through with their commitment to get packages to every participant by their birthday. It is a big commitment, but also SO MUCH FUN. Still thinking and trying to decide... Will let you know soon, Barb. You have done a fabulous job with this swap!
Old 12-23-2014, 07:54 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]503480[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503481[/ATTACH]
Awakened to a lovely winter morn by hubby (home for 10 days-yippee) with a cup of tea & presents. Was informed that he is taking me to town this afternoon & don't expect to be home before midnight so I decided to open QB birthday charms from all of you wonderful folks this morning! Holy cow!!!! Wonderment on so many levels. Thank you all for making my mostly overlooked birthday so special. A great haul of: 2 Lovely fat quarters, an Adorable handmade mouse ornament, Precious birthday fabric mug rug, Sweeeet brow trimmer in PINK, a Heartland Hometown flyer to Treasure, a pattern that is Perfect for a current project, cards Galore - one with really Cool shoes (my weakness)! The Marvelous and Colorful charms all of you sent are very appreciated, just think of all the projects they will be incorporated into. It amazes me that there are so few duplicates of each other or my own stash. Hope you like the pics! It was so worth waiting for!
Will post as the other 6 arrive.
Hope all of you have a blessed holiday! Happy New Year, too!
Sisterly hugs & peace,
D J
Attached Thumbnails dscf2309.jpg   dscf2313.jpg