Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2016/2017 Birthday Swap...now open for sign ups >

2016/2017 Birthday Swap...now open for sign ups

2016/2017 Birthday Swap...now open for sign ups

Old 06-29-2016, 07:01 AM

And access with my kindle. A whole new world!!!
ZoZee thanks for sharing your story as bout postpartum depression. It is truly a sad time for everyone involved. I first started working as a doula specializing in ppd after my sister had it. She had her 2nd child and after he was 3 days old she left. I was visit her and the baby she said she was taking her 5 year old to school which she did and then left. For 3 1/2 weeks.
So today baby Beatrice is sleeping and I and I'm not use to sitting around doing nothing. Her house is a mess but that is a fine line. If I clean things up Mom may feel she is not doing a "good" job. Encouragement is my job. I'm a little o c d about things. So there is my challenge!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:53 AM

Good morning everyone. I hope you will all enjoy the long Independence Day weekend.

Candy packages are in today's mail for nls and AnokaQuilter.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:48 AM

OK everyone, slowly getting caught up with my life. Getting back into the swing of things with work can be challenging.

So far I have received candies from the following people.
Imanna
Dotcomdtcm
Patrick's Mom
Sunrise450
Jennr8r
Moonrise
Jaba
Barb
Sewbizgirl

Thank you everyone. Luckily I only have 11 more days to wait.

Also, I have mailed out all July candies. Usually I wait for the later ones; however, decided to mail them out all at once so I didn't forget to mail later. July is a busy month for me usually and we are doing a couple long weekend get aways.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:04 PM

More bday candy is pouring in! Thank you ladies:

DjMat
Patrick's Mom
MizMelly
nls
Hostess with the mostest: Barbarakibler23
Old 07-01-2016, 09:02 AM

Happy 1st of July! Bday candy is in route.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:11 AM

Three more arrived yesterday. Thank you....
nls
MizMelly
DjMat
Old 07-01-2016, 11:55 AM

Barb, your PPD story really tugged at my heartstrings. I am a Certified Nurse Midwife (retired from Midwifery, going back to regular OB nursing) and I saw so much PPD during my career. I never really fully understood the enormity of PPD until I experienced it with my fourth daughter. It was devastating, and my heart goes out to anyone who has to suffer through it.

I applaud your efforts as a postpartum doula! These women need all the help and support they can get, and I know you fit the bill perfectly. Please give that sweet 6 week old baby a little squeeze from all of us.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:58 PM

hello ladies...
thanks for the kind words for baby Beatrice. I talked to her dad today suggesting that maybe the mom may need some help. The dad said he did not notice that there was a problem. He did seem to be thankful for my input and would read up on ppd.

Wholeheart Mom.... I am not a practicing doula anymore. I stayed with a family as their nanny after being their doula. Fell in love with the baby and the family and almost 14 years later I am still the nanny. Boy the job has changed over those 14 years.

Off to camping tomorrow. I do love to camp...really don't like the process getting there.
Went today to get the camper from storage and someone stole our "pin" that holds the camper to the hitch...so we had to go and get a new one...3 stores later we went back home and got a screw that will do the job.

then.........we went back to the storage to get camper and part of the hitch (stablizer bar) was missing a piece. We can take it to our house but don't like to drive far with out the bar....so hubby has to go to the camping store to see if we can just buy the missing part tomorrow before we leave for camping...hopefully!

After we left with the camper we went to the church parking lot and practice backing the camper into a space. My husband is NOT good at doing this. I keep telling him that he just needs to practice. I am amazed we are still married after all that PRACTICE! if you are a person who camps you will understand this!

So hopefully tomorrow we will be sitting by the campfire enjoying the weekend. I hope all of you have a wonderful Fourth of July.

Be back on Tuesday

Barb
Old 07-01-2016, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

Have a ball, Barbara!

Is anyone here doing a Row by Row quilt or collecting patterns or license plates this year? I have collected a few patterns in the past, but never did them. This year I have bought a couple of kits and think I might actually make a quilt.

My problem is that there are not many shops near me, without driving for hours and hours. My sciatica is just too painful to drive that long. So, although I know it is against the rules, I was going to see if some friends in faraway places might be willing to pick up patterns and mail them to me. Only if you aren't planning to get one for yourself... because I think you can only get one. If you could pm me your state and name of an LQS or two you shop at, I'd really be thankful.

If anyone would like to buy a Mississippi license plate, I would be happy to get it for you and mail it. The two shops within reach of me have plates that say "Bless Ur Heart" and "Pick Cotton". PM me if you want one.

Anyone live in Tipton IA? There's a shop there with a beautiful row pattern I would love to have.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:04 AM

Hello Quilting Friends ~

OMGoodness Barbara you are an amazingly compassionate person to be so sensitive to the needs of women in such despair. I have the deepest compassion for women that go through this it has in the past and is still is, so misunderstood by so many.

I also admire your patience with camping escapades. I sit here chuckling as I never have enjoyed 'camping', I believe the wife/mother's mantra should be "Camping Is Housework Made Inconvenient" We lived exactly 35 miles from our favorite secluded campsite in the mountains of Colorado. You may ask how I know it was exactly 35 miles? Because every day, when Dad and kiddos would be off four wheeling, I would drive the 35 miles each way to go home to shower as I could not stand the smell of wood smoke in my hair or in my clothing. To say Momma wasn't happy with camping is spot on.

We 'camped' for two years in a tent, then thinking 'tenting' was the problem we moved (up?) to a camp trailer THEN I had to clean a miniature house, I kept wondering where's the vacation? LOL Our kids were teenagers and the amazing thing is now as adults they said they never knew I disliked it so much, so I must not have grumbled too much in their presence, our poor dog surely did on those round trip drives back to the house for a shower. <giggles> </giggles>

I cancelled all future camping trips after a night encounter with a mountain lion and her kittens, we were camping with two other families, all great friends of ours enjoying a beautiful evening just at dusk when she appeared on an out cropping, she let us know we were in her territory and she was not happy. Six adults, four teenagers and two toddlers all huddled in the fifth wheel that belonged to one of our friends, it was the most substantial of the three houses on wheels, and he as a wildlife forest ranger also had a weapon at the ready. Fortunately the cat and her kittens inspected the campsite found no food (which I surmised could have been anyone of us, especially the kiddos) she left never to be seen again by us. Our friend said it was highly unusual for a cat to come into a campsite as they are usually ambush attackers....just what I wanted to hear!

Thank-you again to my swap friends ~

Sunrise450
Jaba
Imanna
dotcomdtcm
JENNR8R

Patrick's Mom

Here are more wonderful surprises that came in the mail 7-1 it's so much fun going to the mailbox!

Barbara Kibler
DjMat
NLS
MizMelly