Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019/2020 2.5" Birthday Swap

Hello everone.....Just waiting on one more person to fill our swap then I can close us.

The first persons birthday is at the beginning of March so please make sure you are getting their package ready to mail.

I cleared out a lot of PM from my mailbox so if anyone is trying to reach me feel free to send me a message. Stay warm.

Barb
    "Queen B" of the "2017/18 2.5" Birthday Swap

I'm hoping to get some cutting done this weekenf

I figure I need 116 WOF to get them all cut, so I'll just grab 116 different fabrics and cut one width. Once I've got them cut I'll layer them in five's and cut with the stripology ruler, and that goes very fast.

I cleaned up my storage up a bit, tossed out several totes of stuff I'm not going to ever use (a lot was non-fabric stuff) and then moved totes around and got my stash room straightened out a bit more. Now I can get to the shelves without having to step over totes and fabric on the floor. I'm bad about putting fabric away properly, so it ends up in piles on the floor . . .
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Irishmom, I also like your fussy cut fabric. Especially the elephants.

Irishmom, I love the fussy cut squares. I would love to have all three. Thank you for taking the time to fussy cut for us.

I am so glad it's Friday. This week has been really slow at work. It doesn't help that is has been raining all week, it's keeping people indoors.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

I have been pressing and cutting 2.5 squares. Just love my shape cut ruler.

LStew and aboring --

The thanks go to GramE! They are her swap pieces - I was just complimenting her on her cuts!

I am now up to 12 bags of birthday candies. I will get more cut this weekend.

That's a fine start! Good for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej View Post
    I am now up to 12 bags of birthday candies. I will get more cut this weekend.
    Gallery: Boomerangswaps.weebly.com

Between the birthday candies, February mug rugs, March table runner, Winter Ispy swap, 10.5" layer cake swap, February fabric post card and February pin cushions, here's a picture of my cutting area. I guess I know what I am doing tomorrow.Name:  0208192150.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  238.9 KB

Hello all! I have been way behind the 8 ball with the next swap. First, I have packed and moved south, and I'm trying to finish up getting my "old" home ready to go on the market. So kept thinking I had plenty of time to get organized for the next round of birthdays. Well..... I had the sewing room all unpacked and organized at the new house, or so I thought. Then the next load or two came down and it got piled sky high with fiber and yarn and other crafty things. And I ignored it while trying to sort through everything I was trying to unpack and finding places to put them.
    So finally this afternoon I get caught up on all the chatter on the new thread and panicked! Yes, I knew I had plenty of fabrics for this next round and what did I do? I very carefully had packed them in with my flannels and forgot where they were. After 1.5 hours of searching high and low in the sewing room, I finally discovered them! Now I need to clear off my sewing table and start cutting! And as of today I have located the post office so now I know where to buy stamps and mail my cards. I'm going to try using 6.5 X 4.5 cards this year and hope I can keep the envelopes thin enough to not have to pay premium postage. for the past two years I've been able to keep it at the 2 oz rate of $.70, which is a real cost saver.
    And I'm ashamed to say I never had time to open all my b-day cards that I received in December. Bad me, at least I know where they are!
    Outside of a book, a dog is a man's best friend.
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read -- Groucho Marx

After spending time in my sewing room this morning, I've decided I am a horder of scraps. I have started sorting them into strips for a scrappy strip quilt. Then the pieces that are not strip size, I am sorting by color. Daunting task with so many scraps.

I just can't help myself. Our local thrift store always has bags full of scraps, and not small pieces either. At least a yard or more per piece. All for crazy cheap prices.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

Welcome all our new members and returning members. I’m looking forward to a great new year.

To answer a question asked. I usually cut my squares using my accu-cutter. I can cut 8 pieces of fabric and 12 squares of each fabric at once. I normal cut my small squares from 10” squares. If i’m Cutting from yardage I may cut the fabric a little larger than 10”. I haven’t started cutting my fabric yet, next 2 weeks project. FYI:I just love batiks.

Here Are three quilts I made using some of my 2.5” squares. Name:  8F6C71F4-E92B-40B4-9706-B608F9F1861E.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  1.01 MBName:  AAB7BA37-EFA0-4228-BFCA-72083770DBF3.jpeg
Views: 101
Size:  1.65 MB And lastly Name:  4CE5D048-EF7E-4018-9D9D-6A0A273B60AC.jpeg
Views: 100
Size:  1.49 MB Just some ideas on what to do with the squares.

Happylab -- beautiful quilts! I like how you allocated the values to different quilts!

I'm about half way through cutting. It's a good break while working on a tee shirt quilt I am doing for our local robotics team. I want the quilt done by this weekend -- I was able to spray baste it last night so all I need to do is quilt and bind it.

I did get a "surprise" on Friday when I went to the eye doctor. I need cataract surgery in my right eye. I know it's a pretty standard procedure and I've been warned for the last 12 years that I will be a prime candidate for it (my right eye had a retina detachment), but it still threw me for a loop! I'm scheduled for March 5. Of course now I can really tell why I need it and it's totally bugging me! Before I thought I had really tired eyes or smudged glasses.

Irishmom, Sorry you have to go through the surgery.

Beautiful quilts. I have yet to do anything with my 2-years of candies but it is on my to-do list this year.
    Choose to focus your time, energy and conversation around people who inspire you, support you and help you to grow you into your happiest, strongest, wisest self.~Karen Salmansohn

IrishMom, things will have depth again but before hand you don’t really realize it’s gone away. I couldn’t imagine how much better I could see. I only had one done too. Medicine side effects had accelerated the build up on my lens. It took a while for it to clear up totally but it’s magnificent. At first look what you see is a super giant floater. Well, I did anyway.

GramE/pat
    "I listen, the fabric speaks"

Inklingo makes me happy❤️

I have recieved 32 candies so far:

Jaba
    Sunrise
    Jane Quilter
    Janet Milkulas
    Old Catlady
    Janice McC
    Lottie Parker
    traveling Gramma
    Barbara Kibler 23
    Miz Melly
    givio
    Hav 4 Boys
    WMU Teach
    bjsmith57
    JENNR 8R
    Aborning
    Crispy Frog
    Patricks Mom
    Gaijin
    Lum
    Patty Jo
    onaemtrest
    Happy Lab
    Pinkflowers
    Armylady2012
    Kele
    Crazy Connie
    Juanita Bean
    scrappy
    Lucinda Welene
    L Stew 2212
    Sheri R

will open all on 17th!!

I have found my photos of 2.5 square quilts. I will give it a go. Well, I got four up. The rest need to be resized I think. Name:  IMG_1414 (2).JPG
Views: 84
Size:  1.32 MBName:  IMG_1415 (2).JPG
Views: 82
Size:  1.71 MBName:  2014 (2).jpg
Views: 82
Size:  140.6 KBName:  resized.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  89.9 KB

WMUTeach, WOW, those are wonderful! So appreciative of the pics and the designs you have created. Thanks for sharing.

GramE/pat

WMUTeach. Your four quilts are all very nice.

WMUTech - love your first one!

I've started cutting out squares for a My Little Pony quilt, so I'm cutting extra to get a jump on the candies. Anyone want 50 different shades of pink? LOL!!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I have pulled fabric for my 2019 candy. I hope all y'all like what I picked. I'll be pressing/cutting/packaging for the next couple of days.
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Macy Baby I would be thrilled to receive 50 shades of pink, what fun.

SheriR I have loved every piece of fabric that has come my way.

WmuTeach your quilts are Lovely.

Ladies, keep all the wonderful candies and conversation coming. Trish

I think i’m Anxious to have a box of 2” stash! Can I join for next year now?

GramE/pat

Can I get a hint about what people send? What I mean is, do most people send a scrappy variety or do some people do themes like all one color, 30’s, or Christmas? I’m just curious. I’m working on a 30’s Arkansas crossroads and needed to get more fabric today for it and it got me to thinking. Dangerous I know!
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

lum
    Most send a scrappy variety, a few have sent a color theme.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast