Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2020 June through November Round Robin >

2020 June through November Round Robin

2020 June through November Round Robin

Old 06-17-2020, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by carriem View Post
Some of you have mentioned a message with your centers. What should be included on this? This is my first RR so I want to make sure I send the right details
This was the label I sent along with my last Row Robin quilt - It was a snowman themed quilt. It is kind of up to you as to how much info/details you want the rest of the group to add.

Hope this example helps.
Attached Thumbnails 20200617_174212.jpg  
Old 06-17-2020, 02:49 PM

Mona, I love the fall colors and have lots of them in my stash of fabric.
I really have no idea in my mind for this quilt so it's up to all of you. The only thing I wrote was that I thought an off white looked better with my fabric than a pure white and said that I had put some Kona Snow next to it and it was a perfect match for the light color in the batik. Also that if you chose to add another color that would be fine but please go sparingly on a yellow, not my favorite color of all time but a little every now and then would be okay.
Another thought from past RR's...do we keep the borders from 3-6"wide. If I remember we did every other one. If the 1st person did a 3" then the next one would do a 6" and so on. That way most of the quilts came out about the same size. Doesn't matter, just wondering??
TG mailed the center to you today...and I like your blues too!
Old 06-17-2020, 02:54 PM

I know one of the RR I was in, each border was a different size, each round got bigger. I can't remember all the dimensions. I'm fine with whatever the group thinks works best.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:35 PM

TG, beautiful center!

Bugaroo, I like the ticking background on the bee fabric. I love blues and yellows together.

I believe with the RR idea, you are letting others add to your center with their own creativity. It seems like you can send a note with your center for a few ideas that you hope that will happen to your center (or hope won't happen), but the ideas shouldn't include a broad restriction-- like telling the others in the group what type of fabric they must use. I think either cotton prints or batiks could be used. If someone wants only batiks, or only civil war, or only 30's, or only Christmas fabric, etc., then a RR would not be for them. If the group decides it's a Batik RR, well, then that would be different.

Jaba, your center is so blue, like flowers or a summer sky. Pretty! In Group 1 we talked about the size of the borders. I believe that SBG and Reba indicated that they would be no larger than 6" but could be smaller. It meant that each top could end up being larger or smaller than the others in the group, depending on what each participant decided to do for border width each round.

Mona, I love browns and fall colors. :-)

carriem, You can send something or nothing, it's up to you. Reba asked for some thoughts we would write in a journal for her. Some plan to add a label that all are asked to sign. Some send extra fabric in case someone would like to incorporate it-- but there is no rule to send anything along.

Last edited by givio; 06-17-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:44 PM

Jaba, glad you got your picture posted. The blues are like going through the lower to upper atmosphere on into deep space.

Mona, fall is my favorite time of year. Love your colors and the small black squares really work.

Question about mailing. Are we mailing at the end of the month or just before so the recipient will receive by the end of the month? Either is fine, I just want to match what others are doing.

I was also wondering about the label. Thanks for the example. I would love to send one along with mine for all to sign their name and location.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

Mona, love your Fall log cabin center.

I sent my center off to givio before all these great ideas came up, so mine has no note, no label! It's okay tho. My only request would be, "compliment what is already there".
Old 06-17-2020, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mona G View Post
I know one of the RR I was in, each border was a different size, each round got bigger. I can't remember all the dimensions. I'm fine with whatever the group thinks works best.
is the 2nd swap finished. Please put me on round 3!
Old 06-18-2020, 05:20 AM

Thanks for the explanations on the options of what to include.

Mona--I love fall colors and can't wait to get your center. I already have some ideas!!

Going to exercise, then I get to sew my center...yay!! I really hope to have a picture to share before the day is over.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:34 AM

Here is my center

The first picture is what I dug out of the orphan blocks. This was going to be a center for a different quilt, but after making it I changed my mind and went with different colors - so this has been sitting around for 3-4 years. I also had some 3.5" wide strips of blue cut, and 12 triangles of a coordinating fabric, so I used them up too. It was still a bit too small so I added the strip of green to get it to 18.5" unfinished.

Jaba - I'm ready to ship if you are ready to receive, but if you'd prefer I wait a week I can do that too, just let me know.

Attached Thumbnails imgp4980.jpg   imgp4981.jpg   imgp4984.jpg  
Old 06-18-2020, 06:56 AM

Now that I've got my center ready to send off, I went back to look at Bugaroo's pictures so I can start thinking about the next round. Bugaroo, you mentioned worried that your blue was too "plain", but keep in mind that it's nice to have some "plain" in between the busier patterns.

I'd also like to ask how the participants for group 2 would feel about having some machine embroidery incorporated into a row?