Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap >

2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

Old 03-05-2021, 04:51 PM

Default Wendy

Sorry about your foot, but so glad you pushed them for an MRI. Good luck with the surgery. I'm still healing up from my foot surgery in July.... My primary told me for years that I didn't have a bunion, boy was he wrong! I had a 23 and me genetic test done and it said I was prone to one or more bunions early last year. I was like, I knew I had a bunion on that foot. I immediately made an appointment with a podiatrist, no referrals. Once I got diagnosed podiatrist told me that I had a really big bunion. Yep, I was thinking, I've been saying that for a while to other doctors. Lol! We will pray for your quick recovery and reduction in pain.

Last edited by Loveofquilts; 03-05-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:20 PM

I just found this quilting board. Had no idea such a thing existed. Quilting Digest sent an email with pictures of a quilt called Candy hearts and Mini Dresdens and the link with brought me to y'all. I've been reading the different year swaps and would love to get in on it. I'm sure it's too late for this year but maybe next year.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:44 AM

I was digging around in my precut tote and found several 2.5" wide strips of yardage. I know I had cut a whole bunch of strips for using as binding on masks, and then switched to a different pattern so had them sitting around for a long time.
So I figured they'd be great and started getting them all cut up. Then I got to thinking they looked familiar . . . I still had one pack of candies that ended up extra from last year and checked - sure enough, a lot of this fabric had been used for last year's swap!

Sure didn't want to send a repeat of fabric to returning swappers! The good part is I can cut one WOF of other yardage and then use these to fill in for the new swappers. The rest is will be put with my other candies to be used for the monthly challenge.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:53 AM

Hi AuntNore. I am a newbie to this candy birthday swap. This is a fun place to be! I am glad you found us.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:59 AM

Wendy - I am so glad someone finally listened to you and you are getting that foot issue resolved. Yay! More quilting time once you're feeling better. How is your mom doing?
Old 03-06-2021, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Macybaby, you can send your last year's candies to me on my birthday in April. I've been away from this swap for several years!

Hello AuntNore! Send a private message to WMUTeach and ask about joining. We have met the deadline, but have only sent to one birthday girl so far this year. So WMUTeach may be able to squeeze you in. You could ask....
Old 03-06-2021, 11:34 AM

02-25
Sewbizgirl

03-04
TravelingGramma
Ibex94

03-05
Loveofquilts

03-06
Gaijin
Patrick's Mom

More envelopes have come in this week. Thank you, ladies, for your candies!! I can't wait to open them! Even though so far I've had no time to sew, my mind is swimming with ideas for these little gems.

TravelingGramma, it was so sweet of you to send extra novelty fabrics as a Baby congratulations! Thank you!

I've really enjoyed everyone's "Getting to know you". I keep intending to write mine at some point.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:19 PM

1. If we were walking down a street, how would I/we identify you?
I'm often wearing a denim skirt and t shirt, and now have four daughters in tow! My hubby likes to wear kilts, so if you see a big broad shoulder guy in a kilt and a woman beside him, that would be us!

2. How did you come by your screen name?
Mine was pretty easy. I was born and raised in New Zealand (NZ) and I quilt of course. My mom is an American and I moved with my family to America right after high school.

3. What was the source of your “real” name?
My mom just like the name Catherine, which got shortened to Cathy.

4. What was your first quilt? Pictures if you have one.
Goodness, my first quilt was a hot mess! None of my family sewed when I was growing up, but I had always been sewing. In junior high I got this idea that I wanted to make a quilt. So I went to the local library and borrowed a book called "The Complete Idiots Guide to Quilting." I really didn't pay attention to accuracy and my templates were made from old milk bottles cut up. I sewed it by hand with stitches far too big! But the love of quilts had started! I still have that quilt, but it's too fragile for use.

5. What is or was your oldest UFO?
I have two that are from 2012. They will get finished one day, I promise!

6. What is the source of the song, “Getting to Know You, Getting to Know All About You?”
After reading everyone's comments I now know it's from "The King and I". I went on YouTube to listen to the song, and now I can't get it out of my head!
Old 03-06-2021, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I was digging around in my precut tote and found several 2.5" wide strips of yardage. I know I had cut a whole bunch of strips for using as binding on masks, and then switched to a different pattern so had them sitting around for a long time.
So I figured they'd be great and started getting them all cut up. Then I got to thinking they looked familiar . . . I still had one pack of candies that ended up extra from last year and checked - sure enough, a lot of this fabric had been used for last year's swap!

Sure didn't want to send a repeat of fabric to returning swappers! The good part is I can cut one WOF of other yardage and then use these to fill in for the new swappers. The rest is will be put with my other candies to be used for the monthly challenge.
Terrific idea. I have done that in the past. I sent some of extras from a previous year to a new swapper.

Old 03-06-2021, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

NZ, the mental picture of your big hunky red headed hubby in kilts makes me smile!

Do any of the girls have red hair too?