Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap >

2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap

2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap

Old 04-06-2022, 09:27 AM

I may have enough 2.5" cut now to seriously consider a lap quilt pattern..... Love the one Teen made. Thanks for posting that link Sewbizgirl.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:32 AM

Here's a fun random question....How many of you have a nonhuman pet in the house? I used to have cats and dogs -- all black so the kids were restricted from adopting all the critters at the pound. They had great names and were great pets. Duke and Turk were the labrador dogs, Catzilla and Hairball were the domestic shorthair cats. After they died off I decided no more pets. Too much pain in having to let them go on my end and I was the only one truly bonded to the animals, (besides the kids who had long since moved out and are grown.) I may change my mind later but I have to be in one place before I adopt again.

Do you have any pets? What kind and how many? Any great names or stories?

Old 04-06-2022, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
Do you have any pets? What kind and how many? Any great names or stories?
I've had six female rescue beagles over the past 27 years. I don't like people names for dogs so here is what I named them:

1. Scout (a girlscout) - after she died I was brokenhearted and kept getting more to find her again. It never worked. They all have different personalities.

2. Dixie (nickname for the South) - She was challenging... doggy daycare fired her, and I had to rehome her. I was brokenhearted.

3. Gherkin (a small pickle) - She wasn't Scout so I got another one to keep her company hoping to find Scout again.

4. Garnish (something to add color and flavor, or what the Vet was going to do to my paycheck) - She had lots of medical problems and was an escape artist. She wasn't Scout either so I got a third one.

5. Gadget (a small object that appears to be useful, but is often unnecessary seemed like an appropriate name for a third beagle). She wasn't Scout.

After Gherkin, Garnish, and Gadget died I was brokenhearted.

6. Feather (my favorite quilting motif) She wasn't Scout either, but I loved her just as much. She was the healthiest beagle of all of them, but she suddenly got breast cancer at age 13. A month after her diagnosis I put her down on March 7, 2022.

I am brokenhearted, and it's the first time in 27 years that I haven't had to care for a beagle. I won't get another one for many reasons, but Feather is haunting me. I miss her so much. I finally realized that I can't replace a beloved dog with another.
Attached Thumbnails feather.jpg  
Old 04-06-2022, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

We have Marty, a nearly 8 yo lab/collie mix. He's so smart and so dear to us... I don't know how we will stand losing him when that time comes.

Before Marty there was Sophie... another fantastic, loving doggy who was a stray that just showed up here. (God gave her to us.) She was the victim of some mean people who were mad at my husband. She was stolen and then let go just far enough away that she couldn't find her own way home. Someone got tired of her hanging around so they shot her. Just shot her for "being"! They had no idea what a rare dog she was and how hard we were looking for her. People are so cruel to animals.

My kitty, Naya, lived to old age and then disappeared off into the woods to die. I miss her so much. She was my quilting buddy upstairs. Now she ghosts me up there.

It's hard to love an animal and then lose them. Dogs, in particular, just don't live long enough.

Feather looks like an adorable dog.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:37 PM

Yes, Yes, Yes, Time for some pictures of 2.5 quilts. I quilted one yesterday! It just needs binding! Off to my group's quilt retreat so no binding this week this weekend, maybe next. I love my teaching job, but has really been cutting into my 2.5 quilt production.

Thanks for the re-post, Sewbizgirl.
Old 04-07-2022, 12:58 AM

Through the years we've had pets off and on. Our first was a cat named skimble. He was named by our oldest who was obsessed with the musicale Cats. Then came our 1st boxer, Rip,. He was a tall one who was very loving. When my daughter turned 5 ,on her birthday, a co worker asked if I would take her blue and gold Amazon ( macaw) till she could get settled in a place. So I took it on. The kids loved him and he only liked the girls. My husband and I were his enemies. His name was McDuff. Sadley we lost him 30 years later. Nope she ( previous coworker) never came back for him and she moved on. We've adopted another outside cat,black, after hurricane Katrina. Showed up 1 day, started feeding him, and he never left. Husband called him After Midnight, cause that's when he would get home and feed him. Danté was my 2nd boxer whom we lost at 7 years, due to re- ruptur of his hernia's. Now we're on our 3 Rd, Mick, whome since I retired, and hubby still works, grand kids are no longer close, and just protection from new orleans's crazies. He's 4, and still acts like he's 1, spoiled rotten and rules the house.
yup, we love animals, though, as I age, this may be my last.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

This is my sweet Marty dog. Still handsome at 8 years old (almost).
Attached Thumbnails mzrn2663.jpg  
Old 04-07-2022, 03:48 PM

Here is my Scout! She had to leave me this past January but she was well loved and oh, so missed. Every now and again, I still feel her jump on my bed or touch me with her nose or hear her in my stash making a comfortable place for a "cat nap".
Attached Thumbnails 2020-7-6-tired-inspector.jpg   scout-2019.jpg  

Last edited by WMUTeach; 04-07-2022 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

Oh, Scout is so cute. Sorry she passed.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:40 PM

Got a package from Gaijin yesterday to add to my birthday collection! Can’t wait to open it on my birthday!