Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares) >

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

Old 02-10-2023, 03:13 AM

Gannyrosie, the sphere is amazing! I love it on the black. I wouldn’t know how best to secure it to the background so I won’t venture a guess. I look forward to seeing how you finish it. 😀
Old 02-10-2023, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gannyrosie View Post
Attachment 642679 I started this 3d sphere 3 years ago, put it aside and finally got her done. It wasca pattern from getas quilts. It only came with the pattern . I'm not sure if I want to applique it by hand or machine stitch it yet. Went thru several backgrounds and it either white or black. I'm liking the black, though I need to get some more. It's not very big so I'm thinking wall hanging.
what's your thoughts on how to apply it to the background.
wow Gannyrosie that is beautiful! I think it really pops on the black background if that is what you are going for.
I started one of these probably 14 years ago.
I made lots of the flowers (with two rows of petals) and started to sew them together. Problem is I have no idea how to stop. Started this before I was a quilter when I would take my mom to her quilting club. Someday I will pull it out again and probably just look at it and fold it back neatly away. On the pile of UFO’s
Old 02-10-2023, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gannyrosie View Post
Attachment 642679 I started this 3d sphere 3 years ago, put it aside and finally got her done. It wasca pattern from getas quilts. It only came with the pattern . I'm not sure if I want to applique it by hand or machine stitch it yet. Went thru several backgrounds and it either white or black. I'm liking the black, though I need to get some more. It's not very big so I'm thinking wall hanging.
what's your thoughts on how to apply it to the background.

I think having 1/3 of the background dark and the rest light, looks very effective, I know you didn’t intend for a split colour, but I like it. To finish the sphere, I would place it face down on some light weight interfacing, and stitch all around it. Make a slit in the interfacing and turn the sphere right side out. Press. Then use a small blanket stitch or hem stitch to attach it to the background.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

Great sphere, Gannyrosie! It looks totally 3-D.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:29 AM

Barb, I don't know if you are using your phone or a desk top/lap top or what ever. Here is my process for a computer. It does not work for a phone. Hope this helpsHow to upload a photo to the Quilt Board.

Ok, I will try to do the photo directions.

1. Write message
2. Click "Go Advanced"
3. In the box labeled Additional Options click "Manage Attachments"
4. Click "Browse" and locate your photo wherever you saved it on your computer.
5. Find the photo you wish to post click save and then upload. ***
This seems to be where folks stumble. The little box with the "Browse" button needs to be expanded so you can see the "Upload" button. It is on the far right and hidden until you expand the box.
6. Preview Post and make changes if you wish or add an additional photo.
7. Click "Submit Reply".

**** I save my photos in a quilt photos file by year, but I also keep a second copy in a file where the photos have been resized to "medium". It this format will allow you to post to the QB. It seems there are multiple ways to do this and it all depends on your computer and software preferences. I

Hope this helps. It took me way too long to figure this out when the QB made changes but now it seems to work well for me. Hope it will work for you too.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:31 AM

Gannyrosie -- that is beautiful! I actually think it looks great with a big black and little white backgrounds as it looks right now. I think the suggestion of sewing it to some kind of interfacing and then turning it inside out to get the edge smoothed before you sew it down is likely the easiest way. If you don't like the stiffness of interfacing on the wall hanging, sew right sides together with muslin (is there a back side on muslin?) and then turn inside out before you sew it down. Hand applique will be a lot easier if you sew it down to some kind of a lining first. This is going to be a blue ribbon winner!

Just beautiful!!

Hiya Barb! Welcome to the 2023 gang!
Old 02-10-2023, 02:03 PM

Thimblebug, yes that's a great idea. ( flash back to a you tube tutorial many years ago). It definitely beats hand turning applique which after turned I can applique it down by hand.

definitely will post the completion. Whenever that will be since it took 3 years to get this part done😂😂😂
Old 02-11-2023, 03:47 AM

Thank you, Gaijin! Your candies arrived in yesterday’s mail.

16. Gaijin
15. Ibex94
14. RebaQuilts
13. Gannyrosie
12. Petthefabric
11. Ahwu
10. TravelingGramma
9. Crispy Frog
8. WMUTeach
7. Bjsmith57
6. LogCabin82
5. Quossum
4. LAF2019
3. Patrick’s mom
2. Sewbizgirl
1. JENNR8R
Old 02-11-2023, 05:32 PM

Yay! Happy they made it timely!
Old 02-13-2023, 10:29 AM

Janice your package is in the mail. Hope it arrives soon.
Barb