Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares) >

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

Old 01-06-2023, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

Welcome Rebaquilts! You will love this fun swap!

I have a quick reminder for our newbies... all 50 candies sent need to be different from each other. And different from what you have sent before, if you are a veteran birthday swapper. So, 50 unique candies every year that you swap.

I'm just posting this reminder because one year we had someone join and then drop out because she was sending 6 or more of each of just a few fabrics. Somehow, the details can escape us when we are doing a new swap.

I have tons of candies in boxes, but since I can't remember which I have sent before, I just cut a new batch for a new year. Going through my scrap bags gave me plenty of new stuff to cut!
Old 01-06-2023, 03:30 PM

*busily absorbing all these tips and hints!*

I bought some envelopes and postage today. Being avidly into Pathtags, I do keep a variety of stamps in stock!

Thanks for the guidelines on the squares. Trust me, I’ll have *no* problem putting together 50 different ones. Several times over!

I’m going to use this year to whittle down all my odd sizes of fabric that I’m trying to cut down on (literally!), so no one person is going to get the same variety from me, I’m sure!
Old 01-07-2023, 11:53 AM

Welcome to all the new birthday swappers. I am going to start cutting new and improved candies all afternoon! I love to go to the scrap bins at Stitchin Heaven in Texas. That place is huge!
Also, I am a Michigan transplant living in Texas. I still have folks in Detroit, too. I love going back to visit.
Welcome all to the 2023 Birthday swap!
Old 01-08-2023, 03:56 PM

Welcome to all the new and returning members. This last 6 weeks has been very busy. Life and holidays, and slowly working on collecting QAL patterns and trying to do BHMQ-2022-23. Busy. I have just been enjoying our lovely winter weather so far. Most high temps 30’s to upper 50’s. Can’t complain only 3-5 days below freezing. So I’ve been outside more and doing more than normal. I’m sure old man winter will be returning eventually, but until then I will enjoy going outside.

I’m getting my candies together and will cut all at once. Next week I will get my birthday cards and see how many envelopes I have to put the cards in.

Happy cutting and sewing everyone.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:02 PM

I just updated and confirmed the swap members. Here is the list to date in alphabetical order. Cut, package and get ready. I will send out our first birthday swapper, for February, on January 20th.

Updated list: 1/8/23
1. Ahwu
2. bjsmith57
3. Crispy_frog
4. Gaijin
5. Gannyrosie
6. happylab
7. Ibex94
8. Janice McC
9. JENNR8R
10. Kele
11. LAF2019
12. Logcabin82
13. Patrick’s Mom
14. Petthefabric
15. Quossum
16. Rebaquilts
17. Sewbizgirl
18. Travelinggrannma
19. WMUTeach

Any one besides Sewbizgirl and me working on a 2.5" square project? I mentioned that I needed a backing for the green quilt I made just before the end of 2022, and when at a very casual quilting group meeting, I was directed to a cabinet of odd fabric and Ta-Da! There was a green and white piece of fabric for the taking, 5 yards! More than enough for my quilt. Now to layer and quilt.

Old 01-09-2023, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Terrific luck, WMUTeach! And thanks for posting that roster. We may come up with 20 swappers yet!

I found another great pattern for our candies!
Cross-Quilt-two-colorways-TEXT-FIGS-1(1).pdf
If you have any trouble with that address, it's the Cross Quilt on Tildasworld.com . Soooooo pretty!
Old 01-09-2023, 02:07 PM

I didn't find her cross quilt but she has other quilts in those catalogs that are lovely. But you sent me down a rabbit hole that led me to another pretty cross. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1052860...search_click=1
Old 01-09-2023, 05:26 PM

I have 20 candy sets cut, bagged and ready to go. Bring on the 2023 swap!
Old 01-09-2023, 05:32 PM

I finally started cutting this weekend and have *almost * all the candies cut. I did not necessarily have enough of fabrics to cut 20 each, so each birthday gift may be different than another. Hope you enjoy!
Old 01-09-2023, 06:35 PM

I have only a few days left before classes start up again. I better start cutting!