Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares) >

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

Old 01-03-2023, 05:33 PM

WTG, TG!!! You are inspiring others to be creative. That is so great!!
Old 01-03-2023, 06:01 PM

TG, that’s wonderful! You lit a spark in a budding quilter!
Old 01-03-2023, 06:57 PM

Travelinggramma - what a lovely story. Wouldn't it be lovely if that moment turns into a lifelong interest? Even if it doesn't, I am sure your connection and time spent with her will stick with her for a long time. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
Travelinggramma - what a lovely story. Wouldn't it be lovely if that moment turns into a lifelong interest? Even if it doesn't, I am sure your connection and time spent with her will stick with her for a long time. Thank you.
kids really need adults to be interested in them, personally. That time will be priceless. Worth way more than a cell phone 📱.
Old 01-04-2023, 03:02 PM

Travelinggramma, whether this gal becomes a quilter of not, she has discovered that creativity comes in many forms. It isn't just dance, or painting or sculpture or fashion design or music. It is trying, exploring and well, experimenting with what is at hand and what inspires us. You have expanded her vision and assured her that her attempts have value. Good for her and good for you too.

Looks like we will have one more joining us. I got a request from another interested quilter. More info coming soon. Yahoo!
Old 01-04-2023, 03:25 PM

We do have a new swapper joining us, Quossum. She is new to this swap but not new to the QB. She is an August birthday.
Old 01-04-2023, 04:09 PM

Hello, everyone! *waves*

I’m Quossum; you might have seen me around here and there, mostly in the Merry Mayhem and UFO threads. I’ve been wanting to get more involved, share my stash, and give myself incentive for new projects now that I’ve whittled down my UFO pile quite a bit. (It’s not GONE by any measure, but…progress has been made!) I started exploring the swaps section, and the idea of “birthday candy” and the pictures of quilts I’ve seen in your threads just totally tickled my scrappy-quilt-loving fancy!

Though I’m new to this group, I’ve been in quilt-block-swaps before, so I know what it takes, and I’m also involved in another hobby that involves trading items via the mail, so I know what it takes from that aspect, too! (Pathtag trading, if you’re curious. Watch out, they’re addictive!)

Just a teensy bit about myself:

I’m 53, married, no kids, four dogs (two Standard Poodles, two Pembroke Welsh Corgis). I’m a middle school teacher hangin’ in there ‘til retirement. Besides quilting, I enjoying running, reading, writing, playing Pokemon Go, and collecting Pathtags. My husband and I are very involved with the sport of dog Agility, and we spend most weekends at shows. If any of you are on Instagram, my username there is the same as here: Quossum. I post sporadically, mostly about the dogs and running.

You-all seem like such a kind and welcoming group; I can’t wait to get to know you, and I appreciate you welcoming me into the fold. I’ve subscribed to the thread!
Old 01-04-2023, 05:32 PM

Hiya Quossum! Welcome aboard. My SIL has standard poodles and they are amazing! I don't know anything about Corgis but if you have two they must be great fun. I had to look up pathtags and laughed. I am an old time geocacher but haven't done it in a while. I'm glad to see that there are more standardized items being geocached these days. Have you designed one to leave around? Show us!! And yes, geocaching is addictive. Maybe I should stitch up some ornaments to leave behind if I jump back into it one day.

I teach geography remotely while I am living in Texas caring for my father. I love teaching. I suspect you know what I mean. I used to be an archaeologist. For a long time I did archaeology in Texas and the Great Plains so I am very comfortable being back in Texas. (Hook 'em!). My husband and I moved to Texas from MIssissippi when my dad had a stroke this past summer so Dad could be with his doctors as he healed. My husband is an angel, just like my dad. We have eight grandchildren from two sons with half of them from one son's extended family. We miss those grandkids! I am a bigtime family girl and I have a ton of nieces and nephews here in Texas so I get to see them more now. I love piecing and traveling and reading. The quilting board is my escape from the craziness of students who refuse to read. Thank you for the impromptu meet and greet, Quossum!

Everyone -- postage is going up again (no surprise there). Grab up your two oz postage/oversize postage now at the forever rate to mail these precious candies all year long. I am still hoping for 20 swappers this year and am buying stamps accordingly now.

Last edited by ibex94; 01-04-2023 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:12 PM

*waves at fellow Texan ibex94* Oh, goodness, it's funny, I found my first Pathtag while geocaching, and got into them as siggie items accordingly...but now, I'm more into the tagging than the caching!
Sadly, I totally feel you on the kids who don't want to read. It's like pulling teeth. But maybe the reading pendulum will swing back our way one of these days.
Oh, and thanks for the heads up on postage! I know all the tips and tricks for mailing Pathtags, but I'm going to be watching the thread for the tips and tricks specific to mailing batches of 50 colorful fabric candy!
Old 01-04-2023, 06:58 PM

Tons of info on that in the 2022 bday swap thread near the beginning. I'm pretty new at this so what I did was take bday cards that are a bit big and make stacks of candies inside. I use the 2 oz oversize envelope rate (less than $1.00) butterfly stamp and put them in a brown 5 x 7 mailing envelope because my bday card envelopes were ripping in the mail. I mail out as soon as the address is announced because I can't trust the USPS to get mail anywhere in a timely manner anymore. Some folks wrap the candies in saran wrap with an oversize index card as a stiffener. The very creative in the gang make their own beautiful cards! Some sneak in birthday surprises so postage rates can vary depending on contents in the envelopes.