Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares) >

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

Old 09-15-2023, 08:50 PM

Hi everyone.
I am happy to see September girls gave received my packages.

I just got back home from the Quilt Show in Grand Rapids Mi. I have gone for the past 5? Years. This year the display of quilts was very nice but the vendors was very disappointing 🤷‍♀️ I only spent $10.00. That was 2 patriotic packs of mini charm packs. And I really tried to spend my money.
hope everyone is enjoying the cooler weather.
Old 09-16-2023, 04:48 AM

Patriotic mini-charms.... I see a candy quilt coming soon! Barbarakibler23 it might be time to start collecting old sewing machines if you really want to get a big bang for your buck! They are fun to look at whether or not they work. And think about all the money you can spend fixing them up yourself! More candy treats from antique machines :-)
Old 09-16-2023, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by barbarakibler23 View Post
Hi everyone.
I am happy to see September girls gave received my packages.

I just got back home from the Quilt Show in Grand Rapids Mi. I have gone for the past 5? Years. This year the display of quilts was very nice but the vendors was very disappointing 🤷‍♀️ I only spent $10.00. That was 2 patriotic packs of mini charm packs. And I really tried to spend my money.
hope everyone is enjoying the cooler weather.
I went to the show on Wednesday. I was surprised by the high number of "art" quilts. I have never been to AQS in Grand Rapids before and expected more of a balance of quilt types. Lots of "bedazzled" quilts some impressive but after a couple they started to leave me with a Ho-Hum feeling. I was impressed by the hand stitching of the quilts from Japan and the the number of applique quilts with itty-bitty features that were used.. The Baltimore Album style quilts were interesting, well done of course, and two I recall were whimsical. One was all things Texas and cowboys and the other was Halloween. Neither fit my taste but both made me smile and I obviously remembered them.

Did you see the quilt from our board member Watson, from Canada? It was a horse made of many small strips and colors and an exquisitely made shadow of a young girl reaching up to kiss the horse in the nose while hiding an apple behind her back. Exceptional details in the quilting, and lovely colors. Worthy of a place at the show.

I did not plan on spending much at the show and I only purchased on thing a ruler foot and a beginner straight and cured ruler. Time to develop some new skills. Y'all know about old dogs and new tricks. I am trying to break the rule and learn how to use these tools.
Attached Thumbnails 20230914-resized.jpg  
Old 09-16-2023, 06:15 PM

I had a quilt juried into the AQS show in Grand Rapids, MI too. It is my Regatta quilt.
Attached Thumbnails regatta.jpg  
Old 09-17-2023, 04:24 AM

Oh, my goodness, JENNR8R, I did not know this was yours. I recall seeing that quilt in the show. I obviously did not read quilting/quilter information. I would have recognized your name. So precise and exact. Now that I think back you did this or one like it a couple of years ago and folks commented on your use of the checkerboard setting triangles to surrounding the sailboats. Congratulations for being chosen for the show to you too. You are among the quilting elite when juried in to this show... in my book any way. Whoo Hoo we have a celebrity in our group. Now that I have embarrassed you, please know that I am so glad you mentioned your entry and congratulations again on this accomplishment. I am wondering if others from the QB had entries in the show? It feels sort of special to "know" the quilt makers when wandering about a quilt show.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:16 AM

Jennr8r -- Congrats on getting into the show and I love your quilt!

I'm envious of ya'll getting to go to the show. Are there any websites featuring the quilts from the various shows? I know that the Quilt Show will frequently post winners of the various shows but I would love to see the range of quilts being submitted.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Oh, my goodness, JENNR8R, I did not know this was yours. I recall seeing that quilt in the show. I obviously did not read quilting/quilter information. I would have recognized your name. So precise and exact. Now that I think back you did this or one like it a couple of years ago and folks commented on your use of the checkerboard setting triangles to surrounding the sailboats. Congratulations for being chosen for the show to you too. You are among the quilting elite when juried in to this show... in my book any way. Whoo Hoo we have a celebrity in our group. Now that I have embarrassed you, please know that I am so glad you mentioned your entry and congratulations again on this accomplishment. I am wondering if others from the QB had entries in the show? It feels sort of special to "know" the quilt makers when wandering about a quilt show.
Regatta was completed on 08/22/2022, and won a first place in the State Fair of Virginia last Fall. I also have a quilt juried into the AQS Des Moines show on 9/17/2023-09/30/2023. I entered these because I called AQS about an entry question and was forwarded to Bonnie Browning! I was a bit star struck because I immediately recognized her voice. She encouraged me to enter these two shows. I entered because she asked me to. Now I'm really glad that I honored her request after finding out she is retiring. If anyone is planning to go to the AQS Des Moines show, I'd love to have picture of it hanging there. I'm not able to go.

I have entered six quilts into the State Fair of Virginia this year in case anyone will be going there. They will be displayed from 09/22/2023 to 10/01/2023.
Old 09-17-2023, 07:03 AM

Road trip to support my candy buddy!!
Old 09-17-2023, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Awesome quilt, Jenn! What an honor to have quilts hanging in these shows!

I love Watson's quilt too, with the little girl's horse.
Old 09-17-2023, 07:13 PM

Well it is Sunday, and almost the 18th of September. One sleep to go! Yippie!
1. JENNR8R
2. Janice McC
3. bjsmith57
4. Logcabin82
5. Rebaquilts
6. Patrick's Mom
7. LAF2019
8. Sewbizgirl
9. Crispy_frog
10. AHWU
11. Travelinggramma
12. IBEX94
13. Gannyrosie
14. Gaijin
15. Quossum (Your package arrived today!)
16. Kele
17. Barbarakibler23
18 Happylab

Tomorrow will be open the packages day. I am thinking I will treat myself to a pizza, a soft drink and just sit and open envelopes and,then play with the beautiful little candies treasures. I had a very nice weekend away with my daughter in Indianapolis and a lovely drive there and back. I did make a quick stop in Shipshewana to pick up a couple of yards of fabric from Yoder's that I wanted for shashing. It is a red that I love, doesn't bleed and has just a hint of blue to make it warm and cozy. Then off through Amish country for a peaceful drive south. My will return to my regular weekly routine of teaching and sewing. Life is calm and contented in my neck of the woods while I wait for the leaves to turn and last few runs to the farmer's market for concord grapes and ....... what ever catches my eye.