Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares) >

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

Old 09-10-2023, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

When I lived on Maui we had a bad hurricane. Trees down everywhere, power out for weeks. One father was killed when he crawled under the family home to fix something and the storm blew the house down on him. Being from the East coast, I had zero previous experience with tropical storms. That was the only really bad hurricane we had in 12 years on Maui.

Now living in the South, we have had lots of storms hit our coastline, but we are in the center of the state. Only Katrina was bad enough that it came all the way up here, 4 hours drive from the coast! It wrecked a ton of stuff in Mississippi, including wiping out the Biloxi coastline, but all the publicity went to New Orleans and what was happening there.

Some times we get wind storms here (Mississippi) that are really dangerous, since the majority of our state is forested. We live in a forest. We have huge indigenous trees, but those high winds can snap them in half, or uproot them. If they fall on power live wires, they can spark fires.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:31 PM

Being from the Eastern end of Long Island NY, I grew up with hurricanes. I knew how to prepare and what to expect (no power or water)
The first disaster I was assigned when we joined American Red Cross Disaster team was in the south and I learned that they got tornadoes with their hurricane.
Didn’t like it at all. No warning.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:54 PM

I did get your message yesterday and was going to let you know here in the tread. You internet is not to blame. Just me slow on responding.
Old 09-10-2023, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
Being from the Eastern end of Long Island NY, I grew up with hurricanes. I knew how to prepare and what to expect (no power or water)
The first disaster I was assigned when we joined American Red Cross Disaster team was in the south and I learned that they got tornadoes with their hurricane.
Didn’t like it at all. No warning.
It is all what you are used to. My oldest daughter spent about a year on Long Island as a live-in nanny. Everyone went into serious panic mode with a tornado watch or heaven forbid a warning. She just went about her business taking appropriate precautions and soon it was over. Folks thought she was crazy and too cavalier. But she grew up with tornadoes here in Michigan. Shelter for a while and then carry on. Now, the story flipped big time when there was a hurricane that came up the east coast and nudged Long Island. Dear daughter was afraid and wanted to flee for the hills, but nannies can't do that. Again, it is all what you are used to.

Enjoying the storm stories.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:48 PM

LOL! I had a coworker who grew up in California. The first time we had a strong thunderstorm, she panicked and wanted to go get her children out of school to protect them. I don’t know how she was going to do that. Apparently, they don’t have thunderstorms in California. When we had a freak/damaging earthquake here in Northern Virginia, she was unconcerned.

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
It is all what you are used to. My oldest daughter spent about a year on Long Island as a live-in nanny. Everyone went into serious panic mode with a tornado watch or heaven forbid a warning. She just went about her business taking appropriate precautions and soon it was over. Folks thought she was crazy and too cavalier. But she grew up with tornadoes here in Michigan. Shelter for a while and then carry on. Now, the story flipped big time when there was a hurricane that came up the east coast and nudged Long Island. Dear daughter was afraid and wanted to flee for the hills, but nannies can't do that. Again, it is all what you are used to.

Enjoying the storm stories.
Old 09-11-2023, 06:45 AM

We lived in California for several years. Had 3 major earthquakes 6.4 or a little higher. No damage to us, but major damage within 50 miles. just a rollercoaster ride for 1-2 minutes. The scary part was the week afterwards of aftershocks. Never knew if the ones we had were the actual earthquake or a pre or after quake. Had major fire 10 miles from us, lots of smoke and ash moving by. Then the numerous riots in LA that stretched near our area. Hubby had enough and we moved to the Midwest. Only thing we have are tornadoes, (which we have several hours watch notice), yearly ice storms (2-3 a year), snow storms (it’s a give here, we just stock up and charge all electronics), and potential for blizzards. Over the years we just monitor the weather to know if we really need to focus on the weather. Thinking of focusing on weather, I just got a notice from my Apple Watch myradar telling me light rain starting in 25 minutes in my area. Stopping in about 2 hours. I so love our weather gadgets.

Oh the 3 BD candies went out today.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:44 AM

Monday Update.... one week to go! Yippie!
1. JENNR8R
2. Janice McC
3. bjsmith57
4. Logcabin82
5. Rebaquilts
6. Patrick's Mom
7. LAF2019
8. Sewbizgirl
9. Crispy_frog
10. AHWU
11. Travelinggramma
12. IBEX94
13. Gannyrosie
14. Gaijin
15. Quossum (Your package arrived today!)
16. Kele
17. Barbarakibler23

Looking like a fun party next week.

Old 09-12-2023, 04:06 PM

3 envelopes went in the mail yesterday.
Old 09-13-2023, 05:05 AM

Hi all. The mail brought me two more wonderful letters in waiting.... Thank you kele and barbaraKibler23!!
Old 09-13-2023, 07:34 AM

Hey candy buddies, so sorry I've not been able to post , but to not retype everything that's been going on, I've decided to cut and paste my response to wmuteach.
and it's been driving me crazy. Couple of months ago, I wasn't able to log in, don't know why, cause my password was autofilled on the site, so I tried changing my password. Went through the process of getting an email.. clicking on the link, but would never get the temporary they supposively sent me. Was using my chrome tablet. I tried it 4x's , then gave up.
So a couple of weeks later I tried doing it on my phone, this time i got the temporary password, typed it and still it kept saying incorrect password. So frustrated, i just gave up. I was able to get the emails and visit the site, but just couldn't respond.

So Sunday before I tried again I sent an email to the admin of the site, after reading your email, explaining my frustration, and never heard a response.
My PC had been down, and hubby was going to gift me a new one for my BD, so I asked him to get it early due to my frustration. We went last night and this am I set it up.
This time I was able to reset the password and actually use the site.
I'm usually computer savvy enough to go thru changing a password, but for some reason, (excuse the language), but this sites sucks. They need to not make it to where only 30 year old's can maneuver thru . It's hell getting old ( will be 65 this year).

​​​​​​
So now that Ive been able to get back to the site, here's the list of received pkgs.
AHWU
Bsmith57
Crispy frog
Gaijin
Ibex94
JaniceMcC
Laf2019
Jennr8r
LogCabin82
PatricksMom
Quossum
Rebaquilts