Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Another Woman's Treasure Swap! Sign up thru July 31st, 2013! >

Another Woman's Treasure Swap! Sign up thru July 31st, 2013!

Another Woman's Treasure Swap! Sign up thru July 31st, 2013!

Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 PM

I have both so wanted to be sure which one we needed to use.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:10 AM

Alright already! Just sent a PM...I am in! Really does sound like a lot of fun!
Old 07-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
I am not picky about what I get back as long as it is not the same fabric. (as if you would send it back to me right?)
Hahaha I was thinking the same.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't mind Hawaiian, kids prints, 1930, Civil War or primitives. I am not big on Christmas prints and do not need more. So how many yards would I send 6 or the 15-20? What are some fabrics that people are looking for besides Christmas?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
I wouldn't mind Hawaiian, kids prints, 1930, Civil War or primitives. I am not big on Christmas prints and do not need more. So how many yards would I send 6 or the 15-20? What are some fabrics that people are looking for besides Christmas?
The flat rate ENVELOPE can hold 6 to 8 yards of regular quilting type fabric.

Just saying - if using the 12 x 3.5625 x 14 (outside dimensions) flat rate medium box - it VERY EASILY holds 15 yards of quilting type cotton fabric. There's room for the fabric to flop around inside.

I have easily smushed over 20 yards of fabric in a box that size. If you want to do the -nylon strapping tape on the outside of the box, pack it as tight as you can - you could get up to 25 yards of fabric in that box.

I'm mostly observing this exchange - the swap originator is the one that suggested using that size box - I'm just trying to give people a 'heads up' as to how much that box can hold.

It can hold up to nine pounds of fabric - packed tightly - figure that one yard of fabric weighs between four and five ounces -

The reason I am so aware of that - an e-bay seller had an auction for 'over 13 pounds of fabric' - well the unopened box weighed only 9 pounds 5 ounces. I took it to three different post offices and it still only weighed 9 pounds five ounces. The jerk *** e-bay seller said that was what HIS scale said. What the ??????? The box WAS stuffed, but it still weighed less that 10 pounds.

Granted, there was some usable stuff in the box, but that was not the point! And being a bit OCD, I measured everything that was in that box. It did come out to an approximate equivalent of 29 yards of fabric.

I also got a 'very fluffy' box of scraps from another e-bay seller. She could easily have put double what was in the box.
She had the pieces 'fluffed up' - so they 'almost' filled the box. A bit like how most people put paper towels into the trash in the restroom. Smush them down and the container is only 1/3 full.

For some of us, finding this amount of 'unloved' fabric would not be a big deal. For others, it might be.

Maybe the thing to do is get one of those boxes, and start filling it before signing up?

Last edited by bearisgray; 07-13-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Thumbs up

Maybe the thing to do is get one of those boxes, and start filling it before signing up?

Thanks again bearisgrey
Hmmm that is what I was thinking. I already asked DH if we had one of those boxes lying around but we only had the other size. I also agree 29 yards of unloved fabric would be a lot.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes when a fabric is put with something different - all of a sudden it becomes attractive! Weird, how that works!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:09 AM

bearisgray-- Thanks so much for all your help and advice. This is my first time hosting, so I definitely need all the help I can get.

What's the voice of everyone else on box size? Would you prefer to send the larger medium flat rate (12 x 3.5 x 14), or the smaller medium flat rate (11 x 8.5 x 5.5)? As it stands now, we are sending the larger size, and remember you must provide me with tracking info when you send.

Swappers so far:

frenchfryqueen
ruck9085
scol409
Moonrise
homecaregiver
calmqultr
reginalovesfabric
Billiejean
stitchingpost
maps
musicaljan
paniacs
dotcomdtcm
craftymatt2
quiltermomma
Quercus Rubra
jamimclaugh
QuiltingKrazy
luvstoquilt
</pre>
Old 07-15-2013, 06:50 AM

I am thinking about joining this swap. I just checked the boxes I have on hand. I only have the smaller size medium rare box to look at. I think the smaller size would be the way to go. However, I won't let the size keep me from swapping
While I am chiming in, I personally, like scraps as small as 2.5" I know that others don't, so I would check with my swap partner before I included pieces that small. I also have lots of buttons (I used to collect) that I would not send without checking.
I'll pick boxes of each size today and see what I can commit to.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 AM

I'll go with whatever the group decides and amend the rules accordingly.

The larger sized MFRBox is a lot of fabric and may keep some from playing, so maybe the smaller box will be the most inclusive option. But either one, we really do want to stuff that bad boy full!