Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
AUGUST - Scrappy Block Swap – SCRAPPY TRIPS >

AUGUST - Scrappy Block Swap – SCRAPPY TRIPS

AUGUST - Scrappy Block Swap – SCRAPPY TRIPS

Old 08-17-2014, 06:19 PM

My practice blocks did not go to waste...made 2 runners and 1 table mat today. Got them quilted and the binding is sewn on, just need to do the hand sewing now. I'm ready for autumn or to send to my secret pal next month. All in all, a very good day!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:01 AM

hadn't been on in a few days. I like the 3D's block. Yes, I'm tired of blacks. I like the white Jaba did, and I agree with Sherri, single units. However, I was thinking of a gray solid or cream solid. Just a thought. It really doesn't bother me as long as it's not black. As far as size, whatever ya'll feel is a comfortable size.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:16 AM

Here's what I'm thinking but not final as I want input/feedback. How about if we do Batiks alternating with a white?

Here's one I made for a Boom swap and, although it happens to be in black, it's shows what I'm talking about:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]488078[/ATTACH]

We would be making ours with, say white strips. Or maybe the alternate strips could be a watercolor Batik strip, i.e., Hoffman 1895's. Lots of fabric manufacturers make something like that; a 'blender' Batik. That way, we could use a Batik print with a Batik blender in a color that would compliment/coordinate with it to make the block. Hope that makes sense. ((it makes sense in my head but I'm only on my first cup of coffee)).

Let me know!!

Jane
Attached Thumbnails boom-13-sunrise450.jpg  
Old 08-18-2014, 05:51 AM

It would be beautiful to use blender batiks but we'd have to order a blender for each batik set that we made, unless you already have them. Wouldn't it be harder to put a quilt together with all those colors? If you went with just white or cream or gray you would have 1 color pulling the whole quilt together. That could be a regular cotton or batik blender as long as we knew which one to use. I guess that would be more of a controlled scrappy huh?
Old 08-18-2014, 07:54 AM

I agree with Jaba, I have been ordering Batiks when I see on sale, cause one day I want a just Batik quilt. I don't think I have a Batik blender for my Darker Batiks. I really don't want white, sorry, or black. But I like the light grey or cream idea, which would blend with all I would think. IMHO only, since you asked.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:00 AM

If we go with a blender batik, then a great idea would to pic a color family. Say maybe two color family's. Like green and blue, or if we want brights, orange and yellows. If we get enough people to swap and have enough blocks you could trade them out in color familys , just a thought.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:08 PM

Jane, I sent you a pm for signing up for the scrappy swap. Thanks!
Trisha
Old 08-22-2014, 08:38 AM

How about we - as has been suggested - use the lightest most neutral Batik 'blender'. I'm thinking a very light off-white/cream Batik; a 'watercolor' if you have it. Otherwise, one with a very slight print design. That way, we can use any other color Batik to make the block.

http://www.batiksplus.com/images/Sit...e/1895-500.jpg

This is Hoffman's Gardenia #1895-500.

They also have a Batik snow!

https://www.batiksplus.com/images/Si...e/1895-307.jpg

Sanddollar #1895-501:

http://www.sewitis.com/cgi-images/1895sanddollar.jpg

This is Plumeria #1895-510:

http://www.batiksplus.com/images/Sit...e/1895-510.jpg

Please understand, I'm not fixed on Hoffman. Timeless Treasures Tonga has some great colors as do other manufacturers.

We could always go with solid white - - - -

Jane
Old 08-22-2014, 11:58 AM

Here's my first block. I did have some trouble coming up with the 12 1/2" size block, my practice one was definitely smaller. So I cut the strips a hair bigger, as Jaba suggested, and I used a scant seam allowance. I'm wondering if the tutorial instructions, where she says to iron all the strips at once after sewing them all together makes a difference in the finished size of the block? When ironing that way-- trying to get the seams to go every other direction with my standard size iron-- I felt it was more difficult to get them fully open and flat (as I usually do when ironing seams as I go), which could decrease the size of the block incrementally.
Attached Thumbnails scrappy-trip-1.jpg  
Old 08-22-2014, 01:49 PM

Very pretty, givio!

In re: your pressing issue, I found I have to press as I go. The first blocks were a bit confusing, but after that it really was not an issue. I also found that for me, cutting a hair larger and using scant 1/4 seams caused my blocks to be too big so I dropped down to 2 1/2 inch strips exactly and am being careful not to sew too "scantily". I've been measuring my strips after every addition and find that I almost always sew with too small a seam on this block so I'm trying to improve that. (I thought I'd conquered that demon ages ago but it cropped up with this block.) I think I'm going to head out to my LQS tomorrow and pick up a couple of new fq's or q's to add to my selection. I need a greater variety than what I've been using and who doesn't like to look around a bit in a LQS???
Originally Posted by givio View Post
Here's my first block. I did have some trouble coming up with the 12 1/2" size block, my practice one was definitely smaller. So I cut the strips a hair bigger, as Jaba suggested, and I used a scant seam allowance. I'm wondering if the tutorial instructions, where she says to iron all the strips at once after sewing them all together makes a difference in the finished size of the block? When ironing that way-- trying to get the seams to go every other direction with my standard size iron-- I felt it was more difficult to get them fully open and flat (as I usually do when ironing seams as I go), which could decrease the size of the block incrementally.

Last edited by Janice McC; 08-22-2014 at 02:02 PM.