Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
AUGUST - Scrappy Block Swap – SCRAPPY TRIPS >

AUGUST - Scrappy Block Swap – SCRAPPY TRIPS

AUGUST - Scrappy Block Swap – SCRAPPY TRIPS

Old 08-25-2014, 06:09 AM

There is no real deadline to sign up for the swap. Rather, a due date for mailing the blocks. The Scrappy Trips blocks are due Sept 30th. Glad to have you, Sunrise450!

Givio - your blocks are looking great. I have some of those fabrics!!! LOL

General question to everyone - - - I'm making a few of these blocks are they are kind of time consuming - at least for me. Any suggestions to speed up the process? I thought of chain piecing but am concerned I'd get the strips mixed up! What are others doing??

Jane
Old 08-25-2014, 06:11 AM

Here's our update:

1. SheriR
2. Purplecat – 6 sets
3. Janice McC – 4 (maybe more) sets
4. Juanita Bean – 6 sets
5. Grannyrosie – 6 sets
6. Jaba – 6 Sets REC’D
7. Mariposa
8. Havplenty - ? sets
9. Quiltlovergrandma – 6 sets
10. Glasqlts – 4 sets
11. Kaitlinedowns – 1 set
12. Sunrise450 – 4 sets

Jane
Old 08-25-2014, 07:28 AM

No suggestions, I did mine 1 block at a time.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:50 AM

Don't know if this will help but I've been cutting enough strips for about 6 blocks at one time. I've only got about half a dozen complete as I'm having to measure frequently due to size issues. I've been chain piecing two strips together, one after the other until all my cut strips are paired up. When those are measured, I chain piece two 2 piece strips, measure again and add on the 3rd set. They're coming out pretty scrappy. I do save sewing time but I'm losing it on measuring. Why I'm having such an issue with the scant seam, I don't know but I just keep on piecing when I can find a few moments. it's time for me to cut some more strips and start the process again.
Originally Posted by jaba View Post
No suggestions, I did mine 1 block at a time.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:00 PM

Well... I saved time by making my sets the same. My little scraps don't include pieces 16" long. (I cut 17" though, just to be sure.) So, I cut new strips using WOF twice. Two strips can be used for 4 blocks. I did the same chain piecing as Janice McC, but with 4 blocks at a time. Then I did all the picking out of stitches for all 4 blocks. Then chain sewed the rows again to complete the 4 blocks. Here's another one. **Jane, I'll do 6 sets.**
Attached Thumbnails scrappy-trip-4.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 04:07 AM

I cut strips for a few more blocks late last night and took a pic of the first 6 completed blocks. (I'll try to post it later.) They aren't quite as colorful as I'd like them to be so I'm going to work on mixing it up a bit more. I'm really enjoying this. Even 10 minutes here and there keeps me advancing to the goal of 4 sets, maybe 6. It'll be down to the wire for me but I work best under pressure! Thanks, Jane, for putting this one together.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:53 AM

Are these going to be d airly easy blocks in this swap? Trying to decide if I want to sign up but I've never done paper piecing or anything like that.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:08 PM

Quiltingnd, here's where you can find directions for the block: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...und-world.html, no paper piecing involved. A few of us have found making the block turn out to be 12 1/2 inches is a bit challenging but you can read about some suggestions below. Hope you'll consider joining the group.

Following is a pic of the 7 completed blocks I've got now. The colors are WAY off - basement fluorescent lighting - but at least it's proof I've been stitching! [ATTACH=CONFIG]489200[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo-copy-2-.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 03:20 PM

I guess I saw talk of batiks which I have none and about paper piecing somewhere (not this block) and thought this swap might be over my skill level. Is it signing up for a year...or is each month's sign ups seperate? Sorry for the stupid questions, I haven't done one before and feel a little *blonde*.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnd View Post
I guess I saw talk of batiks which I have none and about paper piecing somewhere (not this block) and thought this swap might be over my skill level. Is it signing up for a year...or is each month's sign ups separate? Sorry for the stupid questions, I haven't done one before and feel a little *blonde*.
Not a blonde question at all! Each month sign up, no paper piecing. Love to have you send in some blocks for this theme. Then is your choice whether to sign up for each month or not and for how many sets you can do. As long as you have your blocks sent in by the designated time you're good to go. Any questions, just ask...